Considering a move

I currently work as a Paramedic in WV, but my family and I have recently decided on relocating. We've chosen a few places we've been before on vacations, and narrowed down the list. I've researched a few agencies, and would like some advice, experiences, etc. I'm currently looking at Acadian Ambulance in Louisiana, Medic 911 in Charlotte NC, and Sunstar EMS in Pinellas Co FL. Does anyone here have any experiences with these agencies? Pay vs cost of living? General statements. All responses are welcome and most appreciated. I'd rather ask now than move my family hundreds of miles, THEN find out the agency or area isn't all it's cracked up to be. Thanks.

I currently work as a Paramedic in WV, but my family and I have recently decided on relocating. We've chosen a few places we've been before on vacations, and narrowed down the list. I've researched a few agencies, and would like some advice, experiences, etc. I'm currently looking at Acadian Ambulance in Louisiana, Medic 911 in Charlotte NC, and Sunstar EMS in Pinellas Co FL. Does anyone here have any experiences with these agencies? Pay vs cost of living? General statements. All responses are welcome and most appreciated. I'd rather ask now than move my family hundreds of miles, THEN find out the agency or area isn't all it's cracked up to be. Thanks.

What I would suggest is that you visit each one. I do not know what your finances are, but if you contacted HR at each company, told them the big move you are contemplating, they would possibly let you do 1-2 days ride along and tours...might even have some housing or let you crash at a station. You simply do not know until you ask and yes I have done this before.

I think it is Air Tran who has the "fly all you can" for 30 days special right now. For the cost of a plane ticket, you can fly as much as you want, anywhere they go for 30 days. Might be a good time as Airtran flies into or close to all 3 of those places.

Also, do you have national registry? Have you considered what is needed for reciprocity in each of those places?

Before assisting you with info on those agencies and their respective areas, what are you looking for? Longevity, career, promotion? How old are your kids? What about your spouse? What does she do? What are basic interests and goals, both personally and family wise? What is your age and have you prepared for retirement or is this a key part of your decision as well?

Let me just say, I do not work for MEDIC nor have I. I have several friends who work there however. NC does not recognise NR. You will have to apply for reciprocity with NC before you could practice here.

MEDIC is an extremely busy service. It is not unusual for you to have 8 - 9 pending when you arrive for your shift. There are no stations, only a large depot where you pick up your unit. Shifts start at various times during the day to ensure coverage. They have nice equipment and pay relatively well. They work 12 hour shifts because of how busy they are. 24's are out of the question.

I don't mean to sound negative at all. My buddies have been there for some time and love it!

Edited by JakeEMTP

If you are considering Louisiana, here are some things to think about. We are a National Registry state. Reciprosity is filling out a couple of forms and paying the fees, if you are National Registry already. Cost of living is low. Summers are killer wth the humidity. Although I don't work for Acadian, I know many that do. They are a very structured group. Lots of rules. Uniforms are tailored. Short haircuts. You may go on duty in one area, and be sent anywhere they operate, which is about half the state. Opportunity to advance is good. They operate off-shore on drilling rigs, have a couple of helicopters and fixed wing. The occasional hurricane helps with the overtime. One thing to consider is cost of housing. While real estate prices are low, insurance is high along the coast. Check it out before you buy. I believe they offer a signing bonus, too.

Hey, AK had some great ideas. but it is Jet Blue with the all you can fly program right now. Get it ASAP if yuou are going to do it . They sold out last year.

I spent some time riding with Acadian. Great group of guys and gals. Good service. If you are contemplating the move to Acadian coverage area just be willing to live anywhere that Acadian covers. When I rode, they did not guarantee me a spot in Lafayette or anywhere. Where there were openings they put you there. You could request a location but there were no guarantees.

I do know that Acadian will allow you to ride if you call them saying you are considering the move. I'm sure they all will.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.