Ever attended a class through the Center for Domestic Preparedness?

dartimer2

September 12-18th the Director of our rescue squad and I are attending the ERHM class in Anniston, Alabama through the Center for Domestic Preparedness. Have any of you ever attended a class here? If so, what did you think of it and why.

• 2 weeks later...

CDP provides some of the best training you'll ever get. They have very knowledgable instructors, outstanding equipment, and great facilities. It's nice to train all day, then their staff do all the tear down and clean up. Food was good, rooms were nice and clean,(Maid service!!). Only down side, sharing the bathroom with the room next door. I would recommend meeting the person in the room next to you on the first day and agree on a shower schedule so you both don't try use the bathroom at the same time. One part I enjoyed the most was meeting all the people from around the country and talking shop over a beer at the responder lounge. Bring a few bucks to buy a couple of shirts, or buy someone a beer. And don't be late for anything. If the bus to class is scheduled to leave at 8:00, it will. Security is tight, make sure you bring an ID. Have fun!!

Like the last person said; they have great classes, and great motivated instructors; who work out in the field and don't just teach.

If you (or anyone) can get your county or city or state to sign off on you going to the classes; the Federal Government pays for them, there is NO, repeat NO charge to your service.

And there is quite a few classes: WMD, Explosives, Terrorists, How to reconize Drug labs or bomb labs, etc.

They will also come and do some of the classes in your home area if you can get 40-60 people to attend (Think lots of different departments); and again those classes are free.

They have a good gym on base: so if you like to work out, bring clothes. Talk to your class mates, there is alot of things to learn from others. I had 2 people from Israel in my class. I am trying to take at least 2 classes a year in our slow times.

They also have instructor courses: to keep your certification with them to teach, you have to teach 2 classes every 2 years (I think that is the number): they can be the classes in your local area, or there in Anniston, and they pay you to teach.

If you can go to any of the classes, DO IT. The full name is Center for Domestic Prepardness (my computer is having issues, and I can't bring it up right now to give the web address): but I think it is www.cdp.dhs.gov .

Enjoy your classes.

• 2 weeks later...

The CDP is a great resource for all levels of providers. When I went I had mostly people in my class that have been in EMS less than 2 yrs and 90% of the class was either a First Responder or EMT-Basic. So everyone in my group looked to me for guidance since I had the most years in and was the highest level. Just expect to learn a lot during your time there from anyone you meet. There are a lot of different people there, not just from different places but different careers.

The food and rooming was great! There is a lot to take in while you are there. I am plaining on returning very soon to take some more classes there. When I went there my Training Officer told me that I was going down there the next week. So I didn't have any time to research it as you have the chance to.

Always remember you are free to do as you wish for the most part. They provide shuttle services around the area and the drivers always know where the good spots to eat are!

Hope you have fun down there!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.