glucagon IV in a full arrest

Kaisu

I assume so. In fact, in the ICU, we have to adjust TPN lipid doses based on the lipids given from propofol infusions.

Thanks Doczilla. I'm a little lazy tonight, but with glucagon I've always assumed that since we talk about G protein coupling, we are talking about the membrane bound pathway that involves the activation of adenyl cyclase? I could probably look it up, but I thought I would pose the question.

Take care,

chbare.

• 1 month later...

Given your options Glucagaon is a natural choice and although the dose is 3-5 mg some of that would be better than nothing. In my service we carry 4mg of Glucaagon and we also carry Vasopressin or ADH. I believe ADH works on the vasculature in a different way and would be immune the the effect of a Beta blocker. In addition ADH prevents fluid loss from the blood stream through the kidney and into the bladder. Remember we can lose 5 to 700cc of fluid into the bladder before we become aware of it and the pt becomes incontinent. Although Glucagon can negate the effect of a beta blocker you will still have to administer another drug such as epi to raise the CVP. With ADH its a one shot deal.

Given your options Glucagaon is a natural choice and although the dose is 3-5 mg some of that would be better than nothing. In my service we carry 4mg of Glucaagon and we also carry Vasopressin or ADH. I believe ADH works on the vasculature in a different way and would be immune the the effect of a Beta blocker. In addition ADH prevents fluid loss from the blood stream through the kidney and into the bladder. Remember we can lose 5 to 700cc of fluid into the bladder before we become aware of it and the pt becomes incontinent. Although Glucagon can negate the effect of a beta blocker you will still have to administer another drug such as epi to raise the SVR. With ADH its a one shot deal. Granted you sill may have a rate issue but in cardiac arrest I would rather get the infarcted heart back at a rate of 50bpm that 130bpm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.