Paramedic, ambulance, physician sued

A child was born at 25 weeks gestation – 15 weeks premature – and was not breathing. Babies born at this age have a viability of 50-70%. In other words, up to half of children born at this age of gestation die. The family called 911. The paramedics arrived, performed CPR on the child, and brought the child back to life. I know a lot of physicians who would have difficulty resuscitating such a premature infant.

These paramedics should have been commended as heroes for saving this child's life.

Instead, they were sued and found liable for $10 million.

- Dr. Whitecoat Blog

http://www.epmonthly...ility/#comments

http://connect.jems....c:298459&page=6

As others have said, ambulance services and paramedics will continue to respond to and mitigate medical emergencies until the very people we are called to treat cripple us with frivolous, disgusting lawsuits such as this one. Refuse to transfer a patient to a higher level of care in an emergency, get sued. Transfer the patient to a higher level of care for emergent, necessary, lifesaving and sustaining care, get sued.

*cough* their */cough*

:)

This case was a (emergency) transfer from one facility to another.

They were (wrongly IMHO) found liable for accepting the transfer under EMTLA and COBRA laws, which were originally designed to prevent turfing of uninsured and especially uninsured pregnant patients. Sadly, most medics, even seasoned onees, have no idea about EMTLA, what it REALLY requires, and how it effects paramedics.

The really confusing part to me is, and what is left out of the story, is if the sending Doc filled out and signed the EMTLA certification of need, and if the paramedics requested an OB RN to go with. Those two items are crucial parts of this puzzle.

There is some debate on this at higher levels, as the verdict would seem to put the responsibility of determining patient stability on the paramedic, and not on the Doctor. Hmmmm.....

I believe it is being appealed.

This case was a (emergency) transfer from one facility to another.

They were (wrongly IMHO) found liable for accepting the transfer under EMTLA and COBRA laws, which were originally designed to prevent turfing of uninsured and especially uninsured pregnant patients. Sadly, most medics, even seasoned onees, have no idea about EMTLA, what it REALLY requires, and how it effects paramedics.

The really confusing part to me is, and what is left out of the story, is if the sending Doc filled out and signed the EMTLA certification of need, and if the paramedics requested an OB RN to go with. Those two items are crucial parts of this puzzle.

There is some debate on this at higher levels, as the verdict would seem to put the responsibility of determining patient stability on the paramedic, and not on the Doctor. Hmmmm.....

I believe it is being appealed.

If a Dr. or nurse signed the certificate, then there should not be an issue. Some fact's we'll never know!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.