Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Copy Something

Lone Star

That's kind of scary. I had no idea that copiers saved the images copied but I'd never really thought about it. Hopefully the story will make companies start addressing the matter.

I'm having trouble playing the link, but I assume this security issue would be with copiers that are networked and/or are able to directly send documents to a remote location or computer. A simple, stand alone copier shouldn't have this issue, or am I mistaken here?

I'm having trouble playing the link, but I assume this security issue would be with copiers that are networked and/or are able to directly send documents to a remote location or computer. A simple, stand alone copier shouldn't have this issue, or am I mistaken here?

Close... The digital copiers have a hard drive that saves all of the images. The problem being when the copiers are sold, very few companies or resellers take the time to wipe the hard drive.

I would equate this with buying a used computer. Your first step would be to reformat the hard drive and wipe out any possible bad stuff that may be on there. I never thought about a copier in the same manner, but it seems logical.