Medic Attacked in UK

Dustdevil

Going out on a limb, here: What if the pilot accused these 2 of attempting to steal the aircraft? Then it becomes Air Piracy, and a whole different level of Jail time potential.

Here are another two toss pots who won't be getting anything other than a "please don't do that again"-type sentence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/8701890.stm

Every Day :angry:

I think one thing that needs to be said at this point is do not judge another legal system, unless yours is perfect.

The US legal system is not perfect, either is the aussie, UK or in reality any other legal system. They are all flawed. They all have different priorities & work under different prinicpals on how to rehabilitate offenders. Some work on harsh, long custodial prison sentences, others dont believe that this has a positive effect & does more damage to people with instances of repeat offending increasing.

Which is right? Well there are good solid arguments for both. Some crimes deserve long custodial sentences, there is no denying that at all.

These 2 young men were foolish, they should be charged, but, 2 things come to light here.

1. The older of them was charged with criminal damage. A minor charge in reality. Bail is appropriate & a non custodial sentence is also appropriate, depending on his criminal history. According to the report he did nothing violent. (Sorry Dust, you cant shoot him).

2. The second offender, due to his age, is a minor, therefore comes under a different section of law. Yes I agree this is a notion that seems dumb, but, people want an arbitory number. Some places say 18, others 21 is when you are an adult. We have all seen 16 year olds that have the maturity & mental capacity of a 20 year old & 25 year olds who act like a 10 year old. This arbitary number is most likely why this person has been released.

Is it a perfect system? No.

Is the US legal system perfect? No.

How we deal with offenders (regardless of the crime) is never going to satisfy everyone. 20 years ago (give or take) here there were reports that said Psych hospitals had to release their patients & integrate them back into the community. This was in line with worldwide trends. So the number of Psych hospital beds was decreased, funding was reduced. At the same time the number of homeless increased dramatically & we are still finding today that the number of mental health patients now residing at the pleasure of Her Majesty (Jail) is at an all time high. Many of these people should be locked up, but not in jail. They should be supervised, not jailed. There are those who say that regardless they should be locked up, but should we not show some compassion? Considering in many cases we have failed to provide them with adequate supervision, resources & life skills.

Again i reitterate, dont judge another legal system unless yours is perfect.

Phil, have you totally lost it? :unsure:

I think one thing that needs to be said at this point is do not judge another legal system, unless yours is perfect.

Why not? You're judging it, aren't you? You don't have to live in the land of the perfect system to recognise when one sucks, including your own.

The US legal system is not perfect, either is the aussie, UK or in reality any other legal system. They are all flawed.

No shyte. But we didn't make them. Ain't any lawyers on this forum that I'm aware of.

1. The older of them was charged with criminal damage. A minor charge in reality. Bail is appropriate & a non custodial sentence is also appropriate, depending on his criminal history. According to the report he did nothing violent.

We don't know that. There has been no trial yet. Even you must agree that a trial is needed to determine guilt first, right?

Too bad you don't arm your pilots like Marisa on TRAUMA. She'd have blown the little bastards away, and rightfully so.

Edited by Dustdevil

Phil, have you totally lost it? :unsure:

No, I haven't.

Why not? You're judging it, aren't you? You don't have to live in the land of the perfect system to recognise when one sucks, including your own.

Um, i said none were perfect, it is an opinion, not a judgment.

No shyte. But we didn't make them. Ain't any lawyers on this forum that I'm aware of.

I don't need a lawyer to tell me my opinion, the simple fact that a legal issue is discussed & opinions offerred does not automatically mean we need a lawyer involved to cloud the waters. I cannot speak for US law, but the laws of my country were formed on the basis of 'common law'. That is laws the common man could understand. While it is still referred to as common law, lawyers have twisted it so that no common man could ever understand it.

We don't know that. There has been no trial yet. Even you must agree that a trial is needed to determine guilt first, right?

Dust, what i said was

The older of them was charged with criminal damage. A minor charge in reality. Bail is appropriate & a non custodial sentence is also appropriate, depending on his criminal history. According to the report he did nothing violent. (Sorry Dust, you cant shoot him).

We have a newspaper report to go on. We all know how accurate they are.

Too bad you don't arm your pilots like Marisa on TRAUMA. She'd have blown the little bastards away, and rightfully so.

Yep, let just blow them away. Judge, Jury & executioner. Makes sense Dust.

Oh stop we all know about all the crimes you've committed. Stop acting innocent.

Sure, but they weren't violent! :D

Yep, let just blow them away. Judge, Jury & executioner. Makes sense Dust.

That's exactly what you get when you try to force yourself into someone else's occupied vehicle. You think otherwise?

A grand total of one person has tried to force themselves into my vehicle, and he did not live to tell of it.

Edited by Dustdevil

Too bad you don't arm your pilots like Marisa on TRAUMA.

As one who posted on every episode of TRAUMA, Marisa definately held a firearm on only 1 episode, and I think, on another: the one where she and her "Anger Management" needing boyfriend went on the "firing range" date, and the flashback to when she admitted having been previously married, having come home, finding hubby in bed with another woman, and the woman, running from Marisa, fell. Marisa then rendered aid. I think Marisa had a weapon in that flashback sequence.

It was Winston Churchill, who stated

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
This could probably be applied to all countries' legal systems Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.