Help! Looking for case studies or something

Hey everybody! I'm finally breaking down and asking for help. I have a 10pg (9 with a cover) research paper to write that's due next Tue. I've been trying to work on it all week and I'm not really getting anywhere. Topic - "Cardiology of a Rhythm". So wonderfully vague in my instructor's usual style. :confused: I figured a single rhythm was just way to narrow, so I'd take a classification instead. I was thinking I'd focus on AV blocks since they tend to stump me more than the rest, logical right? So now I'm trying to find info and figure out how to come up with 10 pages. I thought taking the approach of a case study (or studies) and breaking down the pathology/cause behind the rhythm and how it could progress would be cool (and take up space). Problem is, I'm having a heck of time finding anything useful and my eyes are going buggy scrolling through Google results. Any ideas? Should I even try a different set of rhythms? Ventricular maybe? Any input would be appreciated because I'm just spinning my wheels here and I have a hard enough time focusing as it is. I need some direction. Thanks in advance!

I am wondering if the topic shouldn’t be “Pathophysiology of a Rhythm” instead.

10 Pages isn’t so bad… double space, 1 inch margins…

I would choose 1 dysrhythmia… for example, atrial fibrillation.

In order to explain why that is an abnormal rhythm, first I would explain a bit on what a normal sinus rhythm is and the phases of a cardiac contraction. (good site: http://www.cvphysiology.com/Heart%20Disease/HD002.htm).

Then I would explain the abnormal rhythm I have chosen:

- how the rhythm is different from normal sinus, explaining the pathophysiology

- what causes it and risk factors

- why it is possibly life-threatening

- treatments for it

Remember your intro and conclusion, list all your references, and you should easily have 10 pages.

Hey everybody! I'm finally breaking down and asking for help. I have a 10pg (9 with a cover) research paper to write that's due next Tue. I've been trying to work on it all week and I'm not really getting anywhere. Topic - "Cardiology of a Rhythm". So wonderfully vague in my instructor's usual style. :confused: I figured a single rhythm was just way to narrow, so I'd take a classification instead. I was thinking I'd focus on AV blocks since they tend to stump me more than the rest, logical right? So now I'm trying to find info and figure out how to come up with 10 pages. I thought taking the approach of a case study (or studies) and breaking down the pathology/cause behind the rhythm and how it could progress would be cool (and take up space). Problem is, I'm having a heck of time finding anything useful and my eyes are going buggy scrolling through Google results. Any ideas? Should I even try a different set of rhythms? Ventricular maybe? Any input would be appreciated because I'm just spinning my wheels here and I have a hard enough time focusing as it is. I need some direction. Thanks in advance!

You could easily write a 10 page paper on something like atrial fibrillation or heart blocks. You just have to get the right sources. My first suggestion would be to ditch regular google and become fast friends with google scholar. There's also journal services that (hopefully) your school subscribes to. You should be able to find a tonne of information on it.

9 pages really isn't that long. When I was in university, particularly in the upper years, i would routinely have papers that were 30+ pages in length, heck sometimes my bibliography would be 8 pages long!

Regardless of which condition you go with, start off with an introduction (obviously), then you can start off with either a description of the condition including the patho of it including the dx of it, then you can move into the epidemiology of it, and then go into treatment. You can also discuss sequela and comorbidities of the condition.

Wrap it up with a conclusion and your works cited and boom you got yourself a nice neat little paper.

(hint: if you're running out of ideas and still have blank space to fill, trying throwing in a few graphs and images, this works well in the section on epidemiology and comorbidities, and if you absolutely need to, try finding a couple long quotes, as if they're longer than 3 lines you need to format them in such a way that they eat up a tonne of space).

Cardiology of a Rhythm, huh? Sounds like the class I took at OCEMS with a certain older medic? He liked my paper on Ashmann's Phenomenon, quite interesting too. If you need any help, let me know :)