Hands On Defibrillation

Asclepius

I recently took a Continuing Medical Education (CME) class, combined BLS/ALS, where CPR and Defibrillation were done. Not only were we told not to touch the patient, but to disengage the Bag Valve Mask from the Endo Tracheal tube, as the weight of the BVM could possibly dislodge the tube during the body's convulsive motion on application of the shock.

That's common....I guess the real question is what is based on medical fact and what is anecdotal fear......?iiam.gif

It is going to be interesting when the next set of recommendations come down.ball.gif

I was taught disconnecting the BVM was to remove the O2 source to prevent ignition. Always wondered about that.... I have a feeling a lot of these are based on a negative event that HAS actually happened...like once. Then trickles down as a new rule everyone has to do to prevent it. (Not saying the removing O2 source one is...but it's another example where sources weren't cited).

Can you imagine:

O2 via BVM, patient pinking up nicely from CPR, Defib states "Check Patient! Check Patient! Charging! Stand Clear! Charging! Stand Clear! Shock Patient! Shock Pa..."

Boom!

Anyone remember the idiots tried blowing up a dead beached whale, which is out there on YouTube somewhere? Consider a smaller scale of a man blown up from ignited oxygenated lung material, with the meat and blood from the torso now scattered for 2 city blocks!

To me, seems like great science fiction. Oxygen, as has been numerous times stated, does not explode, it supports combustion, with concession that what is burning might burn "explosively" in an oxygen-rich atmosphere.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

The American Heart Association had not published any position regarding this. Our current recommendations remain in effect to do compressions until the shock is ready to be delivered and to clear the patient prior to the release of energy.

Regards,

ECC Programs

American Heart Association

7272 Greenville Avenue

Dallas, TX 75231

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.