TRAUMA - Episode 13, March 22

OK, kiddies, here I, and us, go again!

1) The child steals a cigarette from his fall down drunk dad. At least he didn't like the cigarette.

2) When he tossed the smoke, it started a fire, on the end of the trailer where the propane tanks are. The explosion kind of telegraphed that it was going to happen.

3) He runs as quick as a "Rabbit". Leastwise we now know the origin of the name, and it wasn't due to sexual proclivities of how rabbits multiply.

4) The Paramedic who "named" Rabbit was named Johnny, on an episode featuring Kevin Tighe, who portrayed Roy on "Emergency!". I wonder if they did that, as Randolph (Johnny) Mantooth, depending on the varied reports, either was unavailable, or flat out told the production team, "I am not doing that show"?

5) The psychiatrist says Rabbit does not have PTSD, Rabbit says he does. I believe if it looks, walks and quacks like a duck...

6) Boone, like most of us on the paid side of both EMS and Fire, is having budget problems. His marital problems seem to stem from him doing all the extra shifts already, but at least this time he's discussing it with the wife and kids.

7) Nancy, who is involved with Rabbit, is convinced that Greg is involved with someone. Does she suspect, or know, that it is with Doctor Dianne?

8) "Captain Cal", wether intentionally or not, is "pouring gasoline on the fire" of FD based EMS discussions.

9) Junk yard crane operator distracted while working. What happened is another good argument of not talking or texting on a cell phone while driving or operating heavy equipment.

10) Rabbit just walks in and tells the scheduled guy that he's taking over. I don't believe any of our agencies would allow that, especially after 9-11-01.

11) That look on Marisa's face when Rabbit just walks in to return to work is priceless.

12) The look on Captain Cal's face, when he realizes Tyler is "Gay" is priceless.

13) Marisa asks Rabbit if he's really ready to return to work. Rabbit gives the best answer that he doesn't know. For him, brutal honesty, at least as I understand his character.

14) Nancy figured out the Greg/Dianne relationship.

15) Is Tyler avoiding advancement to Paramedic?

16) Tyler and Boone's patient is a "former" Paramedic? I heard that, and was wondering if it was going to be Rabbit's "Johnny". It turned out not to be the case.

17) EMS, and Fire Fighting, is definitely more the younger man's game. I'm 55 years old (2 months shy of my 56th birthday) and I am almost out of my "box"

18) Domestic violence calls are never nice calls, and this one was in the Knife and Gun club. They gave the impression that both sides of the argument were not transported in the same ambulance (or to the same facility), which is in line with the protocols I operate under. However, wouldn't the LEOs be riding along, due to the man having shot his wife?

19) Nancy openly stated that the stabbed man was a "Load And Go" status. Anyone disagree?

20) Nancy cannot remember if she is working as a Paramedic or as a surgical student doctor, although she qualifies as both.

21) Dianne is correct in telling her, "You might do that with Doctor Joe, but not on MY watch."

22) Captain Cal is seemingly dumbfounded, on finding out that Rabbit, who to the captain seems to be the only one with his head on straight, is just returning to work from a psychiatric leave. "This is a Madhouse!"

23) Going back to item 10, does anybody we know just jump back onto their rig without first telling their commanding officer? After doing at least one call, that was when Rabbit turned in his "Doctor's Line" to the Captain.

24) Dianne defends herself, although she doesn't have to, to Nancy on her decision not to let Nancy do field surgery.

25) Captain Cal seems to be entertaining the troops with tales of "Back In The Day..." I guess Rabbit was around long enough to know of the tales, too, like the Pre-Cardial Thump (I used to do that, but protocols changed for me over the last 37 years).

26) We've all had "Don't Drop Me!" patients, from lightweights to heavyweights. Do we tell them we only drop patients on days ending in the letter "Y"? They didn't use that line, but my partners have. I don't.

27) Great, Tyler made Paramedic. He just didn't want to break up his teaming with Boone.

28) Could the burned out old Paramedic be Tyler's future?

29) Nancy admits to Glen that Dianne was right.

30) Seeing Glen and Dianne waking up from the same bed confirms that they are an item.

31) Boone makes the decision to remain a Paramedic, and remain working with Tyler as a "Pair-a-Medic" (my old, bad joke).

32) Marisa had been dangerously influenced by working with Rabbit, hence her original plan to complete a flight with the helicopter low on oil. Yet, it was Rabbit who told her not to complete the assignment, only later with both being told how dangerous the mechanical problems had actually been. Kind of strange, Rabbit being the one on an even keel, and Marisa being the one acting dangerously.

Edited by Richard B the EMT
  • Like 1

Again, better late than never. But now I'm all caught up. Discuss!!

Back to the explosions again?

Gotta admit that it was pretty cool when I realised the little kid was Rabbit! Kudos for that one!

Did you notice that the ambulance that picked up Rabbit’s dad had Washington State licence plates?

Glenn is still employed after the major screw up last week? Oh wait, that’s right; this is California. Nevermind.

Good to see Kevin Tighe. Loved his discussion about the mouth-to-mouth and precordial thump, and other references to the past.

I especially loved the part where he blames all the problems on the FD-EMS merger, ROFL!

Yes Richard, I did like the look on his face when he realises Tyler is gay!

He’s wearing a silver badge with gold collar brass, yet the other captain wears a gold badge with silver collar brass. Wassup with that?

And uhhh… are there no lieutenants in this department?

More helo first-response in the city.

Cops didn’t have combatants separated at shooting/stabbing?

I agree when the bimbo says “load and go” about the stabbing. However, it shows her scatterbrainedness that she does so right after ordering her driver to “clean and dress” the gunshot wound. It was an inappropriate order, even if they did have the time for it.

Bimbo pissed off that someone finally stood up to her grandstanding. Glad that doc will be staying around. She should have relieved her of duty on the spot. At least she admitted her mistake in the end.

Tyler talking about being paired with an EMT now that he’s a medic? Really? Right out of school? Oh wait, that’s right; this is California. Nevermind.

Dianne has a sweet bedroom!

Old retired medic gives a damn good speech about where a career in EMS leads to. I too almost expected him to turn out to be from Rabbit’s past. Gotta wonder if he is going to show up in upcoming episodes at all.

Again, better late than never. But now I'm all caught up. Discuss!!

Did you notice that the ambulance that picked up Rabbit's dad had Washington State licence plates?
Didn't notice, but Reuben could have been in Washington State when his dad got killed in the explosion. Some people move around the country, and don't stay in one place (example, Tyler).

He's wearing a silver badge with gold collar brass, yet the other captain wears a gold badge with silver collar brass. Wassup with that?

And uhhh… are there no lieutenants in this department?

"Captain Cal" is an old school captain, and probably is from an engine or truck company, and as such, might have slight differences in the uniform than those who work the EMS contingent. FDNY has such subtleties between engine, truck, and EMS officers.

Hmm, I never thought to comment on that I have not seen any SFFD Lieutenants, either "Fire Suppression" or EMS areas.

Thought I had mentioned that.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Didn't notice, but Reuben could have been in Washington State when his dad got killed in the explosion. Some people move around the country, and don't stay in one place (example, Tyler).

Yes, I wasn't pointing it out as a mistake. Merely a curiosity that may foreshadow things to come.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.