Huge explosion Scenario

In this situation you have to be realistic. What you now have is a couple things that are not on your side.

1. Time

2. Lack of usable resources

3. Distance from nearby civilization

4. Loss of communication

5. Lack of knowledge of the mechanism of the blast (accidental or intentional)

If you are still alive after the nuclear flash and the shock wave that soon follows. You will now have to think survival. Nuclear fall out will begin to occur shortly so trying to go on foot will be futile. Even if you make it to the foothills as suggested earlier, the problem is shielding from gamma rays. Sheltering in place may also be just as futile with central air conditioners, as well as wood-framed houses. Wood-framed houses may hold up, but will not protect from gamma radiation from nuclear fall out. The best protection would be to find a steel frame construction building, preferable with a cement basement, and get to the lowest level as possible. Avoid walls and windows that could expose you to gamma radiation.

Communication at ground zero will be limited to the range of your voice. It will be a prayer if you can communicate to someone on the outside. Although there are things to protect devices from EMP, (http://www.afcea.org/signal/documents/LEA.pdf) It may not be available in a rural setting where code enforcement means that as long as the building doesn't burn, it is considered acceptable.

Your medical resources will be severely taxed, hospitals will not be at your disposal. Triage will be essential in treating patient's effected. Assume all Red patient's will become black, and treat accordingly. This is no longer a situation where you want to save everyone. Otherwise you will save no one. The cards are not stacked in your favor, so you should gear your approach as such.

I know this will not sit well with some of you. Sorry but someone had to say it.

Edited by wrmedic82

Well, I'm thinking even a discussion of a nuclear detonation is not likely to go anywhere but south.

There has been a lot of good discussion on what can and should be done.

this Scenario is taken directly from (or close to it) the book called "ONe Second After" I forget the author.

Didn't have a ground detonation in the book but the EMP was the big player. I highly recommend the book.

If you are still alive after the nuclear flash and the shock wave that soon follows. You will now have to think survival. Nuclear fall out will begin to occur shortly so trying to go on foot will be futile. Even if you make it to the foothills as suggested earlier, the problem is shielding from gamma rays. Sheltering in place may also be just as futile with central air conditioners, as well as wood-framed houses. Wood-framed houses may hold up, but will not protect from gamma radiation from nuclear fall out. The best protection would be to find a steel frame construction building, preferable with a cement basement, and get to the lowest level as possible. Avoid walls and windows that could expose you to gamma radiation.

Just a slight aside, but lets use some of our EMS knowledge to save our own buts this time. For short term exposure control it's worth remembering that hospital x-ray, and CT rooms are lead-lined to prevent people outside of them from radiation exposure. Staying inside them should provide you some protection over the short term.

Just a slight aside, but lets use some of our EMS knowledge to save our own buts this time. For short term exposure control it's worth remembering that hospital x-ray, and CT rooms are lead-lined to prevent people outside of them from radiation exposure. Staying inside them should provide you some protection over the short term.

Well after yesterday's vote and the way I see this country going I'm setting up a survival kit and starting to read how to books on survival in either the wilderness or how to hunker down when the shit hits the fan.

I have found that I am woefully unprepared for the worst case scenario.

I hope that if I DO Survive that I will have the ability to survive in some sort of comfortably fashion.

I think that 3-6 months of food and supplies would do me and the family well.

I am also going to purchase at least a rifle and a handgun and at least 1000 rounds of ammmo, as soon as the money comes available.

So to make this thread more pertinent to worst case scenario. What kind of supplies would someone need to be relatively well stocked?

Get some air tight 5 gallon buckets and air absorbers. This will allow you to safely store and preserve your supplies.

Here's a page with both.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gamma_seal_lids_gamma_lid_products.aspx

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!! And cheap too.

I could put a bunch of grain and stuff in there and have them for a good long time.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!! And cheap too.

I could put a bunch of grain and stuff in there and have them for a good long time.

They work. My folks live way out in the mountains and can get stranded out there for long periods of time so they buy in bulk and use similiar products. It keeps food good, fresh, and bug free for a long time.