When to apply?

I am just about finished with my first year paramedic. That means that I have one more year until I graduate ("May 2011) My question to all of you is when is a good point to start applying for Paramedic jobs? I am looking for a job in a different state. Should I wait until I graduate, or should I start sending out resumes 6months before? Any ideas?

I am just about finished with my first year paramedic. That means that I have one more year until I graduate ("May 2011) My question to all of you is when is a good point to start applying for Paramedic jobs? I am looking for a job in a different state. Should I wait until I graduate, or should I start sending out resumes 6months before? Any ideas?

When you have your paramedic card in hand, then you should apply.

However, in the meantime, you can make contacts and get information. Contact agencies you are interested in, tell them you are a student and deciding where to go. Let them send you their info, develop a relationship if possible with someone who will be willing to ask questions, etc..see if a visit can be set up/ride along once you get serious about a particular agency.

Refrain from applying until you have a card as that application will be thrown in garbage as you do not meet the minimum requirements to apply.

"When you have your paramedic card in hand, then you should apply."

I agree with Akflightmedic, it’s not over until it’s over. Figure out which state you want to work in and try to get your state License right away. If you do this you might not have to retest in the next state.

Good luck