Quality EMS Agencies

The EMS world has many poorly run, undesireable agencies. EMS also has a number of good ones, along with a handful of stellar ones. I'm asking that everyone weigh in with agencies that they have knowledge of. What is the compensation, working conditions, schedule, retirement, pay progression, medical benefits, type of service? Is it third service muni, third service private, hosp based, IFT, combo 911/IFT, strictly 911? Union or no union? We'll leave fire based services out of the discussion if you like. I won't mention mine, I've done that enough already.

Number of units in the fleet, population #, rural/suburban, urban? Medic/medic, or medic/EMT? Protocols progressive or is it mother may I?

What about policies and SOP's? Are schedules changed on a regular basis, or are you left alone? What about leave? Can you use what they give you, or do they make it so difficult that you waste days every year due to denials? Holidays, OT availability and mandatory OT holdover policies? How is discipline given? Is it progressive step discipline, or is it subjective, as in everyone's treated according to favoritism? Are raises guaranteed and step based, or do they only give raises to who they like? Is management on the up and up or are they out to get you?

Is there opportunity for promotion? Is it based on a list score from a written test and maybe an oral interview? Or is that given by favoritism as well? Anything I forgot to cover?

My intention is that members on the forum can use this thread to find some hidden gems.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=13483

46Young, I think this is a great thread. I'm sorry to see it ignored.

I've answered the questions above but have submitted my post to management prior to posting here.

I'll participate as soon as I have a response, which usually comes within hours at most.

Thanks for the idea! I think EMS improves greatly when people know what can be expected, and have the information that they need to leave poor services for better ones if they choose.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.