Septic Pneumonia

mobey

Intubate using 250mcg Fentanyl 7.0 tube.

I'm curious Mobey, in the service you are at, do they have an RSI protocol, or RSS only? How did you find the intubation went with just fentanyl, any problems getting a tube?

I'm curious Mobey, in the service you are at, do they have an RSI protocol, or RSS only? How did you find the intubation went with just fentanyl, any problems getting a tube?

They do have RSI. I had Succ drawn up & ready if needed.

I stayed away from Versed due to the hypotension and stuck with the rapid push high dose Fentanyl instead.

The intubation went pretty well, she definatly bucked a little when I passed the cords, but once the cuff was inflated and we stopped stimulating her, it was all good.

Yeah, I agree that with the hypotension, its a good idea to stay away from the versed. Did you hold back on the Succ due to concerns over possible Hyperkalemia with the sepsis DD? Glad to hear that the intubation went well.

Yeah, I agree that with the hypotension, its a good idea to stay away from the versed. Did you hold back on the Succ due to concerns over possible Hyperkalemia with the sepsis DD? Glad to hear that the intubation went well.

RSS has to be attempted prior to paralytics in that service........... Prolly not a bad idea anyway.

Pretty easy to confirm placement when she is breathing through the tube :)

Can you tell me why? I would appreciate the education.

No evidence based reason..probably just personal preference. I am not convinced of the aseptic procedures pre-hospital and I have seen some raging Osteomyelitis in my time...not pretty and very hard to get rid of.

I would think that if you have one good IO, why chance another infection and punch two? I have seen it; I have done it...I just dont like it.

This would be my chance to look further for an IV line. You can usually find at least one; usually.

I think with the newer EZ-IO and such, my mind could change. But I would try to avoid two IO sites if I could, certainly if you are using Illinois needles or similar technique..

No evidence based reason..probably just personal preference. I am not convinced of the aseptic procedures pre-hospital and I have seen some raging Osteomyelitis in my time...not pretty and very hard to get rid of.

I would think that if you have one good IO, why chance another infection and punch two? I have seen it; I have done it...I just dont like it.

This would be my chance to look further for an IV line. You can usually find at least one; usually.

I think with the newer EZ-IO and such, my mind could change. But I would try to avoid two IO sites if I could, certainly if you are using Illinois needles or similar technique..

Makes sense. I am very conscious of infection in that technique and will use an I/O as a last resort. Thanks for the reply.

Makes sense. I am very conscious of infection in that technique and will use an I/O as a last resort. Thanks for the reply.

Her husband also stated "She has no immune system" And "She gets regular transfusions". Those 2 phrases made me less than comfortable with IO to start with.

Turns out the "Infusions" were IVIg.