Head Start

EMT Zombie

I'll look into that. But anyway.

I just had an interview yesterday with the only EMS agency I really want to work for. And I think I may have told the interviewer that old people gross me out.

That isn't what I meant but the more I replay it in my head, I think that's what he got from my answer.

Oh, and I forgot what the hell integrity meant, when he asked me confused.gif

I just had an interview yesterday with the only EMS agency I really want to work for. And I think I may have told the interviewer that old people gross me out.

That isn't what I meant but the more I replay it in my head, I think that's what he got from my answer.

You sound a little imature. That may be a hinderance.

If you only have 1 month till Medic school, a college level A&P is probably out of the question. Grab a anatomy coloring book and go to town. Study the nervous system too.

Good luck

Ok. Along with A&P perhaps a few english classes are in order. Since it sounds like you've talked yourself out of a job you'll have plenty of time to get a solid education before you attempt paramedic school.

Do not underestimate the benefit of a solid educational foundation before attempting this. School IS important. It is NOT a frivolous pursuit. A&P is important. Chemistry is important. English is important. Math is important. Microbiology is important. In fact, they are all important *before* you attempt paramedic school.

So, with any luck, you'll have a lot of time on your hands to tackle a real education before moving on to paramedic school. You asked us what we thought you should look at before starting. It seems the general consensus so far is you look at delaying your paramedic school start and get a real, solid, college level educational foundation before moving down that road. So don't get snippy when you don't get answers you want to hear.

-be safe

Edited by paramedicmike

It is a serious pity that you can't upvote a post made by a chat moderator...

What Mike said. Everything he said. He speaks the truth.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

When was I snippy?

I consider myself to be a pretty smart person. It was the first real interview I've ever had. I was quite nervous.

I feel like I was just being attacked by everyone for just sharing an amusing story. I don't really know where that all came from.

• Like 1

I consider myself to be a pretty smart person. It was the first real interview I've ever had. I was quite nervous.

I feel like I was just being attacked by everyone for just sharing an amusing story. I don't really know where that all came from.

It's not funny that is the thing. The elderly should not "gross you out" and if they do you lack the understanding and maturity to be an Ambulance Officer. Most of my workload has been older people or the elderly and they have a very unique set of needs, as do all patients but them particularly. They also have a lot to give and some of the best moments I have had on the road are at Nan's house sitting down with her having a cup of tea. Do you think they want to be in a position of having higher health needs, reduced mobility, a list of meds a mile long and to top of all off have you who doesn't want to be there because "they gross you out" helping them back into bed at 1am when they have fallen out and toileted on themselves?

I notice you mentioned things to help you prepare like ECG interpretation and drug calculations. Yes, those will help but I notice everything you listed is limited to psychomotor or cognitive "skills". What if we told you the best pre-EMS experience you could get was volunteering at the nursing home or working at rehab? Would you still be interested because those things don't involve the "fun" stuff like cardiac arrest and IV analgesia?

Go away and come back when you've grown up a bit.

• Like 2

It's not funny that is the thing. The elderly should not "gross you out" and if they do you lack the understanding and maturity to be an Ambulance Officer.

Go away and come back when you've grown up a bit.

Ok, let's step back and take a deep breath. First off, from what I got, the OP didn't say that old people grossed him out. From what I perceived from the post was that he was stumbling for words and may have led the interviewer to that conclusion.

I haven't seen the OP getting 'snippy' because they didn't get the answers they were looking for, but rather was willing to 'look into it'.

I can understand being nervous during the interview and ultimately meaning to say one thing, but having it come out completely ass backwards!

I once had an interview with General Motors, and I was asked if I had a problem with drugs or alcohol. I wasn't being a wise ass when I said "Yes, I do have a problem with it."

The interviewer got this real 'understanding look' on her face and asked me to 'tell her all about it'.

I proceeded to tell her that being a Firefighter and EMT, I saw the effects of drug and alcohol usage (refering to prior to or while driving). As I was about to continue explaining my position, it dawned on me just exactly what she meant... :blush::blush: ...needless to say, I didn't get the job, or any other interviews with General Motors (this was before all the plant closings).

Some of the responses I've seen in this thread prove the need to read ALL the words of a post, instead of just skimming through it to get the 'general idea' of what the OP meant!

• Like 1

Thank you. The interviewer asked me if there was anything that would gross me out, or be difficult for me to handle. I stumbled and said old people, meaning old people would be harder for me to deal with, because I am so young that it would be harder for me to get them to listen to me, and to connect with them. But that answer applied to the original question may have seemed like I was saying old people grossed me out. I didn't really feel that I need to type that all out. I was just trying to share a funny experience, that got taken completely the wrong way. I am glad somebody understands what I was saying.