How Do You Handle "Alarm Calls"

ruralghettoemtatlanta

Some of you may be aware of this story that has recently occurred in the Atlanta area. http://www.thecrier.net/articles/2010/02/02/front/afire.txt

When the news first leaked out that the department had responded to a fire alarm, saw no signs of fire, considered it a false alarm, and left. So my initial thought was to defend the fire department as we all know how many false alarms (medical, burglar, and fire) we respond to on a daily basis, where it appears that no one is at home, so we leave the scene. Now that I know the full story on this call, I realize that wasnt the case on this call, but it makes you wonder how much liability you would face if you assumed a call was a false alarm and left, when there was a dying patient in the home. How does your department handle "alarm calls" where there appears to be no one at home ? Do you break down the door on all calls when you cant prove no one is there, or do you leave and hope for the best ?

NYC, 1986: The patient called for himself, having an asthma episode. After calling 9-1-1, he collapsed to the floor. EMS arrived, rang the bell, got no answer, and had EMD call the number back. They heard the phone ringing in the apartment, and heard the EMD operator leave a message that we had responded.

2 days later, a family member came to the apartment, opened the door, and found the man on the floor, deceased, and the message from EMD on the answering machine tape.

Policy changed. If no patient or family contact at the door, either FDNY or NYPD have to "take the door", and on entry, visually verify that nobody is home. NYPD will then attempt to secure the dwelling until the occupant or their family member can arrive to do so.

If a patient is found, we do our jobs, and the NYPD will do as I stated earlier in this posting.

the call is not concluded until you are satisfied that it has been proven false. If you have to make entry I suggest using mechanical assistance like a k-tool or some other less destructive method then a size 12 extrication tool. Also having law or fire respond gives you a witness encase some thing goes missing.

the call is not concluded until you are satisfied that it has been proven false. If you have to make entry I suggest using mechanical assistance like a k-tool or some other less destructive method then a size 12 extrication tool. Also having law or fire respond gives you a witness encase some thing goes missing.

Yes, we like to go through the lock, so that the cost to the homeowner to secure their home is minimal. Also, it's always a great idea to punt to the PD or FD for entry. deflect the blame. Name of the game. The FD can throw ladders and gain entry through an unlocked window or balcony. Also, knock as hard as you can, as the elderly can be extremely hard of hearing.

Also, knock as hard as you can, as the elderly can be extremely hard of hearing.

I don't restrict it to the elderly.

We got a call from family members who had been disconcerted when unable to get the family member on the telephone, and called for what, in essence, was a "Wellness Check", but they didn't know our operating policy, as I mentioned in the earlier posting.

FDNY came up with Halligan tools, axes, and sledgehammers, and had been banging so loudly with those implements of destruction for 10 minutes, trying to get past the door locking devices, that every other apartment dweller on the floor (and other floors as well!) came out to see WTF was going on. When they finally got the door open, the resident, who had slept through his family's calls, then decided to come out of his room, understandably upset that his door had been damaged.

Building supers are also helpful in gaining entry, as most have at least one door key for each apartment When they hear that FDNY or NYPD might be "booming" a door, sometimes taking the door frame with the door, they respond quickly so as not to need replacing the door before it gets damaged in the entry attempt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.