Paramedic jobs in Florida

I've been looking at various states to work in, and since I was born in Florida I looked around some there. It's evident that most EMS is Fire based, but I also found such places as Sunstar EMS, Lake Sumter EMS, and Lee County. Lee County isn't accepting apps at this time, but anyone know about the others? Florida isn't my only option, as I've been looking in South Carolina, North Carolina, and even as far as Texas and Nevada. I've just had my fill of rural EMS here in the hills of WV. Granted, the call volume is lower, but those 90-120 minute transport times, the cold weather, and the mountains of snow have done me in!

Any suggestions or info??

Thanks

Just look long before you leap. All EMS jobs have some negative to them, or else we would all be working at the same perfect provider. Even if the job is better, the location may have its drawbacks. The job market has tightened significantly, and if a department has alot of openings right now, it may signal a problem.

I've been looking at various states to work in, and since I was born in Florida I looked around some there. It's evident that most EMS is Fire based, but I also found such places as Sunstar EMS, Lake Sumter EMS, and Lee County. Lee County isn't accepting apps at this time, but anyone know about the others? Florida isn't my only option, as I've been looking in South Carolina, North Carolina, and even as far as Texas and Nevada. I've just had my fill of rural EMS here in the hills of WV. Granted, the call volume is lower, but those 90-120 minute transport times, the cold weather, and the mountains of snow have done me in!

Thanks

Acadian Ambulance is one company I've heard of, I know they're in Texas and some other states. I don't know anything about them as a company. In Florida - I'm in class right now, not done yet, so I don't have any experience with these companies and I don't know if they are hiring, but - American Ambulance and Rural Metro are in Central Florida. I know American Ambulance is transport and I'm not sure about Rural Metro.

Thanks

I moved to Florida about 2 years ago and what I found is they higher higher standards than any other state. Before you plan on makng a move there check with the appropiate state agency to make sure you meet those standards.

It is also a very "good old boy" state. It will be a great help to know someone that already works with the departments/companies are looking to work for, otherwise you won't even makepast the front desk.

I finally gave up in disgust and now rive 45 minutes one-way to work in Alabama.

Good luck!

I moved to Florida about 2 years ago and what I found is they higher higher standards than any other state. Before you plan on makng a move there check with the appropiate state agency to make sure you meet those standards.

It is also a very "good old boy" state. It will be a great help to know someone that already works with the departments/companies are looking to work for, otherwise you won't even makepast the front desk.

I finally gave up in disgust and now rive 45 minutes one-way to work in Alabama.

Good luck!

So, do you like it there? Just curious - considering all of my options.

• 1 year later...

So what are the options available for Paramedics in Florida? I've been a medic in NYC for 10 years, but my wife has heart set on southern Florida. Been hearing you have to be a firefighter, or something to that effect which is not my interest at all. What is the straight truth about what kinds of jobs and average salaries are available down there?

EVAC, a non-Fire Department EMS provider, recently became part of Volusia County Emergency services, they operate near the Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, DeLand areas.

Edited by LoneRider

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.