Canadian PCP

Suburban/Rural Medic

Hey all. I've been on these forums for a while, but this is my first post. I've only been reading existing topics thus far.

I'll say a bit about myself. I completed my Paramedic training at a college in Ontario, a 2 year program. Due to the lack of job prospects in Ontario, I elected to move to a different province. I have close to two years experience now.

For those unfamiliar with the Canadian system, a Primary Care Paramedic is typically capable of performing: Defibrillation, Cardiac monitoring, and administration of Epinephrine, Salbutamol, Nitroglycerin, ASA, Glucagon. In the province where I reside, we also have 12 Lead application and interpretation, intravenous cannulation and fluid therapy, as well as D50 Administration.

I love this job, and I love talking about it with other people who do.

I'm guessing you're in Alberta since cardiac monitoring and D50W are in your SOP but not Thiamine or Naloxone. Rather than play name that province how about letting us know where you're working? ;) Most of us don't bite too hard. Enjoy your time here. There are a number of knowledgeable folks with an interesting array of backgrounds.

I am actually in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, on the Newfoundland (island) portion. And there are only a few handfuls of Paramedics in this province who have also come from Ontario, so I won't get much more specific on where exactly I work.

Here we have private services, community-based services and hospital-based services. All have the exact same protocols, but the pay and equipment vary greatly. I work for a private operator.

I have noticed the vast knowledge here as I've 'stalked' these forums, haha.

And kiwimedic, Newfoundland is about the only part of Canada where people don't generally say "toque" or "eh". Its mostly us immigrants to the island, haha. And I've learned never to make the mistake of pronouncing 'Newfoundland' like it looks, but rather as 'new-fun-land'.

Anyway glad to be here, and I'd be glad to explain to you guys about some of the many recent changes we've undergone here in terms of protocols/ patient care etc.

Cheers

And kiwimedic, Newfoundland is about the only part of Canada where people don't generally say "toque" or "eh". Its mostly us immigrants to the island, haha. And I've learned never to make the mistake of pronouncing 'Newfoundland' like it looks, but rather as 'new-fun-land'.

Could be worse, you could be in Quebec :D

You're right there. It's not the place for me, nor will I ever be fluent in French. Labour mobility can at this point, take me almost anywhere else in Canada quite quickly, except there. (Fine with that though).

I'm guessing you're in Alberta since cardiac monitoring and D50W are in your SOP but not Thiamine or Naloxone. Rather than play name that province how about letting us know where you're working? ;) Most of us don't bite too hard. Enjoy your time here. There are a number of knowledgeable folks with an interesting array of backgrounds.

Alberta EMT's don't currently have 12 lead interpretation in scope, however it is being looked at.

Alberta EMT's don't currently have 12 lead interpretation in scope, however it is being looked at.

12 lead acquisition is within the Alberta SOP for EMT-A's though is it not? I'm thinking the only reason for that is to make depaired EMT-A/EMT-P units more functional. To be perfectly honest I'm not convinced 12 lead ECG's are particularly useful at the PCP/EMT-A level other than within the confines of a hospital or clinic. Time spent interpreting an exam many will not be able to interpret accurately is time wasted. In addition cardiac medications are beyond a PCP's SOP. What is a PCP going to be able to do with the information even if they are able to interpret it accurately? Sorry. Rant over. ACoP drives me a little nuts some days. It just seems like a bit of “cart before the horse” to me.

12 lead acquisition is within the Alberta SOP for EMT-A's though is it not?

Nope. It's not a technical part of the EMT curriculum. 12 lead placement is something we've learned on car with a paramedic partner.

There's nothing to say that a paramedic can't teach their EMT partner to set them up; I've done hundreds even prior to starting as an EMT-P student as my partner is always a paramedic. It's obviously a non-invasive procedure, and I think our medical director would expect it to be something to learn how to do as our service is 100% ALS. Can an EMT who knows how to interpret 12 leads legally base their treatment on what they may or may not see on that ECG? Like using nitro on an RVI? No, as interpretation is not yet in our scope.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.