Study Tips?

Cori89

I'm new to the board and am currently taking an EMT-B class. I retain all the information fairly well and am doing good in our labs. The only problem I really have is test taking and studying for them. I was wondering if anyone had some study tips or how to ease test anxiety. Also I have some problems remembering everything we need to know for our practicals is there an easier way to do it. Other than that I think I'm doing well and am looking forward to our clinicals and ride alongs before the end of next month. biggrin.gif Thanks!

When I took the EMT-B the first time (13 years ago), this is what I did:

Take notes in class

Re-read the chapter, and create an outline. This helped with 'solidifying' the notes, and putting it all into perspective.

As far as the stuff for practicals, your first mistake is trying to remember every little detail on the skills sheets. You should of course, pay attention to what the 'critical failures' are.

A study group will also be of great help. Don't be afraid to take control, so that the group stays focused on the subject matter.

EMT-B isn't as complicated as it initially seems to be!

Another thing that I actually find 'humerous' is that the new student is afraid to 'lay hands on' their 'patients'. You're not going to be able to do a proper assessment by 'poking' your patient, or only touching them with your fingertips. There's a difference between putting your hands on your patient to assess them, and groping them.

Another thing, ALWAYS use PPE! I've seen too many EMT's (various license levels) that have numerous 'excuses' for not using PPE. BSI is there for your protection, and the protection of your patients!

When it comes to 'test anxiety', the main thing to do is relax! If you're confident in the retention of your material, you'll do fine.

Sounds like you need to figure out the best way that YOU learn. Everyone learns/assimilates information differently, so a blanket solution is difficult. Do you best recall information after you see it? Maybe you need to copy your notes, read the chapters a couple times, use flash cards, draw diagrams, flow charts, use pneumonics- it's hard to say what you need.

I don't know how old you are, but think back to your previous studies- high school, junior college- whatever. Think about what classes you enjoyed, which classes you excelled in, which subjects came easy for you. This will offer you clues as to what your individual learning style is. The material is not difficult as long as you keep up with it. Do not let yourself get behind.

One suggestion- read and really study the materials well BEFORE the material is presented in class. That way the lecture reinforces what you already learned on your own, and you can ask questions about the material and concepts you are unclear about. Then, after the lecture, go back over the information to commit those lessons to memory.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of EMS.

I have found that the only way I know I know a subject, is if I can explain it to someone else. I also write stuff over and over and over. I will write notes while reading, during lectures, labs, workbooks, etc. Then I find a poor soul like my husband or kids, and explain it to them. If I do it correctly, I know it has clicked!

Good luck

• Like 1

Herbie makes a very valid point - find out what works for YOU... We can all provide tips, but in the end it has to be something that works for you.

Lisa also makes a valid point - if she can explain it to someone else, she knows it. If you want to know if you have learned something, try to teach it to someone else - you will soon find out if you really know your stuff or not.

I read a good article on learning about a year ago, and of course I can't find it now.... a study was done on handwriting notes vs typing them, or doing both, and the students who did the best handwrote notes, then typed them out later. Make notes so it works for you. Do you learn better in point form? in chart form? Sentence form?

Otherwise, review, review, review...

And good luck!

Annie