Online Classes

EMT Zombie

But seriously, get all the classes you can. Get your BTLS/ITLS/PHTLS. Even if the course is a paramedic level class, see if you can take it anyway. I'd rather have a trained EMT with ACLS helping me work a code over one that has no clue of what to do besides pump on the chest.

Take some vehicle rescue course, even if it's only at the basic level. A better knowledge of how a car comes apart, gives you a better understanding of how you can treat your patient and advise rescue workers how you want things done. Remember, at an accident scene, with patients, you are in charge.

Take an instructor course for CPR, it might be helpful, but not totally necessary prior to getting the job.

Anything that relates to your area, such as farm rescue, high rise rescue, water rescue. Take a course on identifying meth labs, WMD, and such like that.

The more education you have, and comprehend, not just hold a piece of paper and forget everything you "learned" there will benefit you. Showing the employer you went through the process of doing all these "not required" classes, will show them you are dedicated and determined.

Hope this helps

Any suggestions for online classes to take to one up all those other EMTs going for the same job?

Be very cautious with online paramedic classes. Tis better to have classroom style to gain the information/perspective needed to be a success in this field.

If you are talking strictly EMT-Basic, then there are some Anatomy/Physiology, Medical Terminology, Applied Math, and other ancillary classes that you could benefit from. Proper searches may yield good programs/classes.

Good luck!

Oh my bad, he said "online"... there is a wide range of 'classes' you can take online. Contact your local EMS office and if they have an online con-ed program. Or check out the local community colleges for online courses in things such as A&P, pharmacology, bio....

I'd rather take a real Medic class. But if I get a job first I won't have to pay for it. The company will. They also offer all those other classes like PHTLS and 12 lead and such. My basic class also did vehicle extrication, at a fire dept. with the jaws of like and everything. then we practiced a bunch of different extrication devices with who we were told was one of the leading experts in vehicle extrication in the nation.

My Basic class was amazing.

But thanks for the A&P suggestion, I will look into that.

I'd rather take a real Medic class. But if I get a job first I won't have to pay for it. The company will. They also offer all those other classes like PHTLS and 12 lead and such. My basic class also did vehicle extrication, at a fire dept. with the jaws of like and everything. then we practiced a bunch of different extrication devices with who we were told was one of the leading experts in vehicle extrication in the nation.

My Basic class was amazing.

But thanks for the A&P suggestion, I will look into that.

Even if you're NOT working, you may qualify for financial aid at your local college. If you're serious about you taking a 'real medic class', then go for your degree in paramedicine.

As has been said before, the best approach is to put your butt in a seat in a classroom.

Tis better to have classroom style to gain the information/perspective needed to be a success in this field.

Why? Not all people learn in the same way. There are high quality online courses. But it takes self discipline and you still have to attend some classes.

Perhaps you should say for yourself you need in person classes but for a select few quality online is a better choice.

Why? Not all people learn in the same way. There are high quality online courses. But it takes self discipline and you still have to attend some classes.

Perhaps you should say for yourself you need in person classes but for a select few quality online is a better choice.

To clarify further as I instruct both types of courses, students in the advanced EMS classes tend to do better in the classroom style as compared to the hybrid format. The hybrid must utilize many hours of laboratory/class instruction for the student to fully comprehend and display psychomotor skill competency. In the classroom style, all aspects of the cognitive, affective, and psychomotor domains can be presented together.

I will agree with you as it can be best described as stated by authors Russell L. Ackoff and Daniel Greenberg In their book, Turning Learning Right Side Up: Putting Education Back on Track:

'There are many different ways of learning; teaching is only one of them. We learn a great deal on our own, in independent study or play. We learn a great deal interacting with others informally -- sharing what we are learning with others and vice versa. We learn a great deal by doing, through trial and error. Long before there were schools as we know them, there was apprenticeship -- learning how to do something by trying it under the guidance of one who knows how. For example, one can learn more architecture by having to design and build one's own house than by taking any number of courses on the subject. When physicians are asked whether they leaned more in classes or during their internship, without exception they answer, "Internship." In the educational process, students should be offered a wide variety of ways to learn, among which they could choose or with which they could experiment. They do not have to learn different things the same way.'