How to tell potential employers your in school

Sick Medic

Im new to the site but already excited about it. Like many EMT's I have my eyes on bigger fish, I would love to be a Emt forever, would evan do it for free but its understood that we are underpaid, so RN or Rad Tech or RTT may evan do PA who knows. Expecting my first child going to be a girl, yeah Im the MAN, so after I get my EMT-I its off to the local tech school for a year to become a paramedic. If it was just me I would probaly call it a day after that but since I want the best for wife and child I might need a little more $$cheese. So the plan is work as EMT become Paramedic work as Paramedic become a RN or PA. This is my three year plan. Here is the thing, How do I walk on a interview and say, yeah I want to work for your company but my schooling comes first. Maybe work part time? Im sure someone out there did this and made it look easy.

I was up front from the beginning at the ambulance company and hospital I work at. They were willing to work with me to find a schedule that fit (friday night + weekend nights). Although I'd say skip medic and go straight to RN

• Like 1

Don't tell them that. Decide ahead of time whether you need to work full or part time to fit in everything you want to do, and then go to your interview and tell them that you will do that job (be it either full or part time) to the best of your ability.

• Like 1

As an employer I would appreciate an up front applicant rather than for me to find out the hard way. All that will do is alienate you and your employer and likely have you back in the employment line real quick. If I have a student who wants to work for me I make the extra effort to ensure they have time off for school and still give them as many hours as I can. I consider it a two way street. If I give them as much opportunity as possible to complete their education, then I may end up with a paramedic working for me, at least for a while.

• Like 2

As an employer I would appreciate an up front applicant rather than for me to find out the hard way. All that will do is alienate you and your employer and likely have you back in the employment line real quick. If I have a student who wants to work for me I make the extra effort to ensure they have time off for school and still give them as many hours as I can. I consider it a two way street. If I give them as much opportunity as possible to complete their education, then I may end up with a paramedic working for me, at least for a while.

I agree with Arctickat. I am also an EMS provider, and I appreciate honesty regarding careers. We know most EMTs don't stay EMTs, primarily due to the pay. It is an open door to begin a medical career. I work with my staff who are in school, and encourage them to continue their tracks. Be truthful to your current and prospective employers. Those who won't hire you because you are in school aren't worth working for, IMHO.

• Like 1

It is to an employers benefit to hire educated professionals. A quality service provider will recognize this and possibly even provide financial assistance. Be completely up-front about your plans for the future. The potential employers reaction may surprise you in a positive way. If they react poorly the quality of said company is probably questionable.

No offence, as I know that you are just now starting out on this quest for knowledge, but I have to say your current plan sucks. Back-asswards, to be specific. Go to RN, RT, or whatever you are going to do FIRST, then go to medic school. Establish a career before you waste time or money on a hobby. Establish a foundation of EDUCATION before you piddle around with tech school TRAINING. Yeah, I know it doesn't sound as exciting, but then again EMS isn't the blazing ball of excitement you think it is from watching "TRAUMA" either.

Do what makes sense for your family, not what sounds exciting.

Good luck!

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 3

Thanks for the insight,I think its best to be upfront with my intentions. As far as my plan sucking, Im open to any suggestions for improvement. The Tech school starts Jan,10,2011. I will be finishing prerequisite courses for the rest of 2010. I was doing a cool 12hr a quater but with the new edition, I've scaled back to 1 class a quater. At this rate its going to take about a year to finish my final classes.

The paramedic course will meet Mon and Wen for 12 months. A state funded grant will make it totaly free. Just pass the class. I have only spoke with one paramedic who didnt tell me to skip it, a go straight to nursing. Why are those guys so glum? Nursings going to take two years anyway, PA.two and a half. Im going to have to work during that time. I've talked to a couple guys and girls at one of the local services. Many of them are doing exzactly what I plan to do. They say it's not easy, but possible.

Sorry Pilgram, looks like there's gonna be one more PARAGOD jumping off the truck trying to work his way through school?

I would have to agree with Dust on this one....

Let's be completely and bluntly honest here. You've expressed a desire to get into the medical profession above the Paramedic level, so do it. If you're not going to stay at the Paramedic level, why waste your time and put your goals of a 'higher calling' on hold for the year it's going to take getting your Paramedic license?

As far as working while going to school, there's no mandatory ruling that says you have to work in a medical related field while you're attending school. You won't be the first person to do that, and you sure won't be the last to do it.

Ultimately, if you want to go further in the medical field than EMS, focus on the 'end result' and skip over all the other 'extras' along the way!

Good luck and congratulations on the new addition.

LS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.