How to tell potential employers your in school

Sick Medic

Thanks for the insight,I think its best to be upfront with my intentions. As far as my plan sucking, Im open to any suggestions for improvement. The Tech school starts Jan,10,2011. I will be finishing prerequisite courses for the rest of 2010. I was doing a cool 12hr a quater but with the new edition, I've scaled back to 1 class a quater. At this rate its going to take about a year to finish my final classes.

The paramedic course will meet Mon and Wen for 12 months. A state funded grant will make it totaly free. Just pass the class. I have only spoke with one paramedic who didnt tell me to skip it, a go straight to nursing. Why are those guys so glum? Nursings going to take two years anyway, PA.two and a half. Im going to have to work during that time. I've talked to a couple guys and girls at one of the local services. Many of them are doing exzactly what I plan to do. They say it's not easy, but possible.

Sorry Pilgram, looks like there's gonna be one more PARAGOD jumping off the truck trying to work his way through school?

Let me break it down for you. Your ultimate goal is RN, RT, or PA. It's way easier in the long run to get your degree in one of the above disciplines rather than go back later. If you get your RN, you can challenge the medic quite easily. It doesn't work the other way around though. Many here feel that tech schools are inadequate when compared with EMS degree programs, and certainly when compared with higher level medical degrees. That's right you can get your RN and then challenge the medic, and have both in the next two years, rather than go to medic school and then RN, RT, or PA.

But it's not that simple for you. There's a new baby to provide for. You need more of a paycheck than an EMT salary provides, and you need it ASAP. Everyone's overlooking this very important detail. I understand. Your medic school is free. It's easier financially to work towards a degree on a medic's salary. Many with real issues such as providing for a family need to make the quick money. Going to school for a few years while working on a welfare salary doesn't cut it.

Really it's up to you. Only you know what the best route is when considering family and finances. Quick medic money and get your degree later (the long road) vs getting your degree right away and making everything way easier career wise (the efficient route).

I had similar goals as you some time ago. I was an EMT, with RN and medic aspirations. My wife became pregnant and we had a daughter. My income was inadequate to support a family. I had a decision to either go to RN school (2+ years) or medic school for 15 months. I chose the latter. Two years after graduating medic class I wanted to go back for my RN or RT. This very lucrative firemedic position came available. I again deferred college. I'm now completing my EMS AAS while gainfully employed, and I'm planning to knock out RN school starting in the next two years at the latest, so I'll have a decent paying side job, and also a fallback in case of injury.

Take everyone's opinion for what it's worth, and decide for yourself what's most important - the quick money or the degree. The quick money is out of necessity, and the degree is the most intelligent thing to do career wise.

Edited by 46Young

Why are those guys so glum?

Those guys are so glum because they know now what kind of mistake they made. Their advice to go straight to nursing school is based on first hand experience. As was previously mentioned, you are free to make your own decision based on the information you gather from those you question. But if you're consistently getting the same answer, specifically go to nursing school first, then there's a reason for it and you ignore the advice at your own peril.

Nursings going to take two years anyway, PA.two and a half.

Why are you so worried about how long it's going to take? Are you interested in doing it quickly? Or are you interested in doing it right? Learning to do it right will take time. And it sounds like you're pretty young. There will be time for all the perceived excitement you think you're going to be missing.

Sorry Pilgram, looks like there's gonna be one more PARAGOD jumping off the truck trying to work his way through school?

This statement is reason enough for you to heed the advice of the well reasoned and much more experienced respondents to this thread. You don't yet know what you don't know. Many of us here know all too well what you don't yet know. Again, it's your choice. But one choice will be much more appropriate and beneficial to you in the long run than the other. And that choice is to go to nursing school first.

-be safe

Edited by paramedicmike

The paramedic course will meet Mon and Wen for 12 months. Nursings going to take two years anyway, PA.two and a half.

The focus shouldn't be on 'how long will it take?', but more on 'How much education versus training is involved?'

EMS in general is based on the 'minimalist approach', or 'How can we get these people out on the streets as quickly as possible?'.

Education is the key. It's been said so many times in this forum alone, anyone can be TRAINED to go through the motions, but what makes one more than a 'cookbook provider' is knowing WHY we do what we do, and when to do it.

With comments like that, it gives the impression that your mind is already made up, and we cannot confuse you with the FACTS.

Surely you had to plan on getting responses that weren't going to coincide with your plans BEFORE you came to us for advice. It appears that you already set your plans in concrete, so it begs the question, "Why even ask for advice if you didn't plan on taking it?"

Thanks for all the great advice, I will consider everything you guys have said. Originally I wanted to know how to tell a potential employer about my plans to attend class, and I got some great advice. Im going to be upfront from the door with that. To be a paramedic or not to be? Yeah your right my mind is made up 9 times out of 10 Im taking full advantage of that free class next year. I am going to apply for nursing and Sonography in May evan though my prerequisite's arent finished, if i get accepted I'll take that route,if not then Paramedic it is. I always think for myself, i always make mistakes there mine to make. Im ex military, Coast Gaurd, I finished training in Cape May New Jersey and hit the fleet, full of excitement. Would you belive the Coast Gaurd is full of guys that hate their job. Finished my contract got out sold cars. Would you belive some salespeople hate their job? Began working at AT&T would you belive people at AT&T hate their job too. No wonder paramedics hate theirs. LOL you guys might let me have it for that. I appreciate all the advice really. EMS is not the place to hang your hat for 20 years. Most Paramedics would have just became RN's. 46 young hit it on the head, there are other factors. If i could go straight to PA school with out taking this Algerbra course I would. My Dad always says "Do what you can until you can do something better"

excuse the typos

on my iphone

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.