Dying Officer Thanked Paramedics

Siffaliss

This was an extreme situation that doesn't happen every day. DUH, I think we all know these medics SHOULDN'T have done what they did. Great thing to point out there rock ... I only hope I have the same courage to do what they all did, should I ever be faced with that situation because I know I couldn't live with myself if I ran away.

Rock shoes is just pointing out what is obvious to most of us. You have to remember we have many members who may not grasp that their actions were dangerous although probably heroic. Someone had to point it out.

Siff, I agree with you though, I'd hope to have the courage too.

This incident just flat out sucks.

Matty.

Last February I had a tonsilectomy that put me in the ER about a week later with massive hemorrhaging. The blood was puring out my nose, and my mouth, but I still did the best I could to thank the medics who rushed me to the ER...

This was a little more than tonsilectomy ...

What are you saying Syphilis? That Lisa's appreciation of the people who cared for her is not so sincere as that of Cst. Czapnik because her medical emergency wasn't quite as severe? That is how I interpret your comment. All she is stating is that she appreciated the efforts of the paramedics who treated her and can empathize with the appreciation that this officer felt. There are enough medics out there who bitch and moan that ours is a thankless job, it doesn't help matters when our peers belittle those who express their appreciation for a job well done.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 3

Did I miss something ? My Bad ?

D. Wilton of the Proffessional Association of Ottawa Paramedic (not a union) is asking for improved protection for its membership.

cheers

Seems everyones confused ... oh well moving on.

What are you saying Syphilis? That Lisa's appreciation of the people who cared for her is not so sincere as that of Cst. Czapnik because her medical emergency wasn't quite as severe? That is how I interpret your comment. All she is stating is that she appreciated the efforts of the paramedics who treated her and can empathize with the appreciation that this officer felt. There are enough medics out there who bitch and moan that ours is a thankless job, it doesn't help matters when our peers belittle those who express their appreciation for a job well done.

The story reported on in the link I posted was a fatality of "one of our own". I made a simple comment that the situation was a little more serious than tonsils, which I *hope* most would agree with. Nowhere in that post did I make mention of sincerity.

So, what I am saying is that I will not apologize for your misinterpretation of my comment.

Siff, I agree with you though, I'd hope to have the courage too.

This incident just flat out sucks.

Matty.

It certainly is unfortunate with several lives being turned upside down. I hope none of us ever have to find out what it's like to be in that situation.

Seems everyones confused ... oh well moving on.

Yeah, a lot of unrelated stuff ... seems to be the norm for these forums though.

Edited by Siffaliss
  • Like 4

Dont bother. I sent him a message about my story, because in all honesty, I did totally misunderstand what he wrote. To say his reply was nasty and mean would be putting a positive spin on it. Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say. My tonsil bleed was nothing compared to this poor mans outcome, and about a million others. I was not trying to compete.

• Like 1

Dont bother. I sent him a message about my story, because in all honesty, I did totally misunderstand what he wrote. To say his reply was nasty and mean would be putting a positive spin on it. Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say. My tonsil bleed was nothing compared to this poor mans outcome, and about a million others. I was not trying to compete.

I didn't think you were, but there are those on here who just feel the need to compensate for their own inadequacies and demean their peers to elevate their own status in their eyes. It is really too bad.

• Like 2

I didn't think you were, but there are those on here who just feel the need to compensate for their own inadequacies and demean their peers to elevate their own status in their eyes. It is really too bad.

Yet again a thread on this forum turns away from what the real meaning is, into the quest of two people this time to feel sublime and righteous. You both still have no idea, the ACTUAL topic is not about either of you. And if one is to look at someone demeaning their peers, they should take a look at themselves.

Have a great day.

• Like 3

I don't think you needed to explain yourself. You can relate it if you were grateful then fantastic - I'm sure it was appreciated by them ! Every medic and EMT likes to feel appreciated. We rarely see a thank you and when you get one it makes you step just a little brighter. I'm glad your injuries weren't fatal - why is it we only care what people think when they're dead. Brings back a good thought that someone told me once - everybody loves you when you're dead - so true. At any rate, it seems the guy in this instance was very troubled courtesy of brain condition or not. I won't pass judgement though as I don't know the surrounding facts. It's a sad situation for all parties involved. Have to say though, during my time in Canada, I was very impressed by the attitude of the Ottawa officers (they were so kind directing a poor VERY lost american in the proper directions lol) as well as the RCMP who were invaluable at a few events we were participating in. Don't let an entire dept be judged by a single individual. I just hope now, he receives the help he needed.

• Like 2