Agency decision time. Opinions?

Jeepluv77

Okay, if finally ready to start running rescue. However, I'm having trouble deciding on an agency. My options are as follow with the pros and cons as I know them. Any input would be much appreciated.

1.) Volunteer agency(local)- Pros: in my city so I know a lot of the area; once I'm registered as an EMT-I will be able to run on the zone car for my paramedic fields; huge agency meaning great opportunities for network; safer than some of the other cities in the area... Cons: takes longer to be released at each level than other areas; I've been told there is a lot of "red tape" but this has never been elaborated on; a lot of different stations to choose from making it a very difficult decision(each has it's own pros and cons); generally takes years to get a paid spot which can only be had at paramedic

2.) Neighboring city(still volunteer)- Pros: shorter time to be released on average; one is on the same safety level as my local; quicker time to actually running; I can self schedule my fields starting as soon as I'm affiliated... Cons- one city has more dangerous territory but quicker promotion to a paid spot with paramedic; unfamiliar territory; longer travel time to and from; EMT-Bs only run as third man

3.) Private transport company- Pros: paid beginning at EMT-B; good way to get into better paying hospital based jobs... Cons: hard to get a spot and could take a long time; pay's not great starting out and some say it's not worth it; no "street" experience in the process

I'm sure there's more I'm missing. I'm an EMT-B right now(still). I'm not sure when I'll be able to finish my EMT-I but I know I'll have to repeat fields and clinicals because I'm going to miss at least on semester. Any ideas?

Okay, if finally ready to start running rescue. However, I'm having trouble deciding on an agency. My options are as follow with the pros and cons as I know them. Any input would be much appreciated.

1.) Volunteer agency(local)- Pros: in my city so I know a lot of the area; once I'm registered as an EMT-I will be able to run on the zone car for my paramedic fields; huge agency meaning great opportunities for network; safer than some of the other cities in the area... Cons: takes longer to be released at each level than other areas; I've been told there is a lot of "red tape" but this has never been elaborated on; a lot of different stations to choose from making it a very difficult decision(each has it's own pros and cons); generally takes years to get a paid spot which can only be had at paramedic

2.) Neighboring city(still volunteer)- Pros: shorter time to be released on average; one is on the same safety level as my local; quicker time to actually running; I can self schedule my fields starting as soon as I'm affiliated... Cons- one city has more dangerous territory but quicker promotion to a paid spot with paramedic; unfamiliar territory; longer travel time to and from; EMT-Bs only run as third man

3.) Private transport company- Pros: paid beginning at EMT-B; good way to get into better paying hospital based jobs... Cons: hard to get a spot and could take a long time; pay's not great starting out and some say it's not worth it; no "street" experience in the process

I'm sure there's more I'm missing. I'm an EMT-B right now(still). I'm not sure when I'll be able to finish my EMT-I but I know I'll have to repeat fields and clinicals because I'm going to miss at least on semester. Any ideas?

I would definitely choose option 1. The reason is I chose that path and enjoyed it a ton! Other EMT friends of mine jumped at the paid transport services right away and hated it because they had no field action, while i was full of stories. Yes, volunteering may not be fun for all, but for me it was an amazing opportunity. It helped that i knew the area and saved me more than once, especially since not everything is on the map as we all wish it was. I got so much experience it opened up more doors for other amazing opportunities. As far as red tape goes that is pretty much everywhere. All i can say is if you do not like it, it's not the end of the world. You can try another option. That is just my experience. I am proudly still involved with the service.

Good Luck!

...some say it's not worth it; no "street" experience in the process

It's better experience than you'll get at any volly gig. As a potential employer, I want to see what your work experience is, and how well you can hold a job. I could not care less about your hobbies.

But personally, I don't like any of the above choices. I'd either move or just stay in school.

Edited by Dustdevil

Unfortunatly, it's too late to enroll in this semester with the massive amounts of paperwork and new cards needing ordered thanks to a name change. EMT-Basic jobs are hard to come by here which is why I'm not sure if I should keep my eggs in that basket or just start running volly. I just don't want to spread myself too thin or quit on an agency if I do land a paid job and I also don't want to get rusty if I'm out of it too long waiting on a job. It's kind of a catch 22 to an extent. Which is why I need help deciding from those of you who have been doing this for awhile. My city's squads require 48 hours a month while the neighboring cities only require 12-24. So confusing. And, I can't move because my husband is Navy.

Edited by Jeepluv77

Unfortunatly, it's too late to enroll in this semester with the massive amounts of paperwork and new cards needing ordered thanks to a name change.

Are you talking about college, or just an I school?

I was referring to college courses. They generally don't require any "cards".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.