The "Fire Zone"

Richard B the EMT

In another string on an apparent abandonment of a patient, who did eventually get unsuccessful help from personnel wearing clothing saying they were FDNY, I mentioned they might have gotten such apparel from a newspaper stand off the lobby of the FDNY HQ building.

I thought, of those who might be interested in purchasing FDNY apparel, they might want to check out the "Fire Zone", a non-profit store connected with, and using logos by the permission of, the FDNY.

Link to http://www.firezonestore.org/.

While I have not gone to the store, whose address shows in the link, I have purchased from them at a booth set up as a part of EMS Week, and at the lobby news stand, previously mentioned.

I recall, in the summer of 2002 I believe, we purchased like 80 tee shirts from them. They had some sort of FDNY Firefighters Widows fund, and half of the cost of one shirt would go to them. Minimum order was 20, but we went to every station in the county with order forms. I'm pretty sure it came from Fire Zone.

I have stopped by the store but did not purchase anything.

I do own a few job shirts but only wear them at work (company issued) and the others are job shirts with nothing on them for off-duty.

With the recent problems of citizens complaining that they were not helped by off-duty people in some type of uniform; I think EMS'er/Firefighters etc should seriously consider what they wear off-duty in public.

It is great to support other services and purchase tees/shirts for family funds but consider where they are worn. I have seen too many locals wearing FDNY shirts or service shirts at a local bars and they get pretty drunk which could cause a bad image for the service.

I have seen too many locals wearing FDNY shirts or service shirts at a local bars and they get pretty drunk which could cause a bad image for the service.

Yep - a major reason around here it's pretty tough to get a shirt from a service as they won't allow them to wear shirts in a bar area of a restaraunt, or if they are consuming alcohol. There was a crew from a prior service I worked with that was fired for going into hooters in uniform and parking the buggy right in the regular parking lot. It's called bad taste and many services now have morality clauses - don't think yours has one? Check and make sure - most do. I have yet to work for one that doesn't which allows them to extend out into your off duty issues and how they are "policing" the web and what content goes on there. Be smart, be safe people.