Coming Trouble for PCP Students in BC

typ3

Howdy,

I was wondering if I could get a little advice from some BC medics regarding precepting in the current political climate?

I'm starting a PCP course based out of Vancouver this January, and I'm scheduled to begin precepting in April, but I'm very worried about the potential for further job action putting a hold on my training.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what precepting for PCPs is going to look like in the new year, and how best I can move past the precepting stage while still supporting my future colleges in their job action?

Thanks,

Brandon

• Like 1

Howdy,

I was wondering if I could get a little advice from some BC medics regarding precepting in the current political climate?

I'm starting a PCP course based out of Vancouver this January, and I'm scheduled to begin precepting in April, but I'm very worried about the potential for further job action putting a hold on my training.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what precepting for PCPs is going to look like in the new year, and how best I can move past the precepting stage while still supporting my future colleges in their job action?

Thanks,

Brandon

Do you know if British Columbians can precept in Alberta?

HIGHLY UNLIKELY as the schools in Alberta are already hard pressed to find practicum locations, hospital and field.

If you do not start until January is the agreement still set in stone ? With reciprocity agreements now in place one may be far further ahead to reevaluate your present situation and look for greener pastures ? like AB or SASK ?

Ask yourself these question's:

Do I want to work for BCAS where I will be treated as sub-human, paid poorly, forced to do OT, stuck in system that is subject to the governments every whim.

If I wish to in a timely fashion move up to the ACP level do I wish to be held up buy "internal" problems ?

With new negotiations set for April (your scheduled time to start practical)and highly likely this "Bill 21" will be contested and moved to the Supreme Court of Canada ?

Just food for thought.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 1

HIGHLY UNLIKELY as the schools in Alberta are already hard pressed to find practicum locations, hospital and field.

If you do not start until January is the agreement still set in stone ? With reciprocity agreements now in place one may be far further ahead to reevaluate your present situation and look for greener pastures ? like AB or SASK ?

Ask yourself these question's:

Do I want to work for BCAS where I will be treated as sub-human, paid poorly, forced to do OT, stuck in system that is subject to the governments every whim.

If I wish to in a timely fashion move up to the ACP level do I wish to be held up buy "internal" problems ?

With new negotiations set for April (your scheduled time to start practical)and highly likely this "Bill 21" will be contested and moved to the Supreme Court of Canada ?

Just food for thought.

cheers

Unfortunately, I'm now locked in, but obviously I'm having second thoughts. The school didn't say anything about precepting issues, so I assumed (foolishly) that they functioning agreement. Apparently, I was wrong.

Now, I've heard of BC students go to New Brunswick for their preceptorship: is this realistic, or is it just a pipe-dream.

As for the labour problems in BC, I'm confident that voters will *eventually* realize the importance of their EMS system and fund it adequately. I love BC, this is my home, so I want to stay here.

Many thanks

Unfortunately, I'm now locked in, but obviously I'm having second thoughts. The school didn't say anything about precepting issues, so I assumed (foolishly) that they functioning agreement. Apparently, I was wrong.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but frankly you’re screwed for the time being. As Squint already mentioned you’ll be due to precept after April 1st. As soon as the legislated contract expires, the few people still precepting (the majority have already resigned as preceptors) are likely to quit providing the service. There is no legal or contractual obligation on the part of paramedics to provide precepting and as such precepting is extremely unlikely to occur during job action. In addition to what I’ve already mentioned there is a tremendous backlog of students who will be ahead of you in the que.

Now, I've heard of BC students go to New Brunswick for their preceptorship: is this realistic, or is it just a pipe-dream.

I haven’t heard about anyone doing that. You would be better off asking someone from New Brunswick about that one, though I doubt it’s a real possibility.

As for the labour problems in BC, I'm confident that voters will *eventually* realize the importance of their EMS system and fund it adequately. I love BC, this is my home, so I want to stay here.

Many thanks

I hope you’re right. I’m stubborn so I’ve been sticking it out for the last couple years. Sticking it out working more hours than anyone should, for an employer who doesn’t care, and for compensation rates averaging to less than those of a coffee shop barista. I’m losing my patience and as such will be spending the majority of February and March working for an industrial provider in BC and Alberta (one of the benefits of applying to do an EMT-P (ACP) program in Alberta is requiring dual registration/licensure). I wish I had better news to give you. The truth is rather dark at the moment. All is not lost, but the fight ahead is going to be a long one.

Ed

[quote name='typ3' date='22 December 2009 - 09:10 PM' timestamp='1261534258' post='231683'

Many thanks

Edited by Arctickat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.