Vancouver Olympic Volunteers

DBA

I'd offer a room, but I think the commute might be a bit far seeing as I'm in the southern US - good luck finding a place though.

I would support a fellow medic in need - especially if they came into the situation unknowing (which from the discussion I'm seeing here I have a hard time believing). But I would not appreciate the fact that essentially they are working as a "scab". It is a unique opportunity to get to work with the olympics, but sadly it is under horrible circumstances. I wouldn't expect a happy reception either. If the IOC, and VANOC are taking this stance, then it should be their responsibility to provide housing. The burden is on them, since they essentially started the problem.

• Like 1

I was not selected as any type of Medical person, make a difference?

As long as you're not volunteering in an EMS or other medical capacity I could care less. I would however have a long careful look at the moral considerations. Personally I would not be willing to volunteer for any organization (VANOC) that has displayed so little respect for the paramedic profession and workers in general.

One of my medics has been selected as a volunteer for the Olympic Games in February. He's having trouble finding affordable housing. Anybody in the sea to ski area have a room to rent or some suggestions? He'll be there from the 10th through 29th. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Dean Anderson

Sonoma Life Support

There should be places available. I am assuming that your friend is working in the Whistler area since he needs a place on the highway. Just tell VANOC that they can give your medic the place I was supposed to stay in since I told them to go F*** themselves last month after what they pulled.

I was posted at the Whistler Sliding Centre....any chance he's my replacement? :D I wasn't posted in a medical capacity that would have scabbed BCAS either, but they can still go F*** themselves.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

Breaking NEWS:

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/10619--canada-s-top-court-refuses-to-hear-appeal-by-women-ski-jumpers

VANOC now refusing to allow "WOMEN" to compete in Ski Jumping ?

If I were female I would be pissed huge, hell I don't have a vagina and I am pissed !

We have women competing in skeleton, luge, downhill, skating, curling and ever other event.

VANOC remove head from RECTUM!

It is sure looking like VANOC has more pull than the Supreme Court of CANADA ... I hang my head in SHAME!

The OLYMPIC SPIRIT has been DISGRACED, boot VANOC ie IOC out of CANADA !

Most selected medics have boycott'd the games in support of the BC paramedic strike.

Food for thought

Most selected medics have boycott'd the games in support of the BC paramedic strike.

Food for thought

For the LAST TIME...I'm not being offered a position as ANY type of medical person but as a games time host. Witht that said I 've also been a very active union member etc. Would not dream of scabbing. So lets put that one to bed. I trying to do the right thing and help out. I was offered a position way back in Novemeber of 2009! Plenty of time to acquire housing at a reasonable price...Tenting in the snow is no big deal, it's the 2-3 weeks without hot and cold water that would disuade me. I'm sorry if any of you readers got upset about the initial post. Eveeything I've read about the Vancouver Olympics seems a little jacked up. I've seen nothing in support from any natives. I'm probably going to pull the pin on the whole deal. It's a great disappointment though.I spent a year trying to get through the process. I thought it would be fun to help out with the only sports I really support....unpaid ones. The political climate in B.C. seems a little on the warm side. I could go on. Now you can all calm down...wqe need to watch that blood pressure out there.doctor.gif

The more agro I get the worse my spelling

way back in Novemeber of 2009!

Way back last month you were notified? Then you definitely were a replacement for someone. I was offered my spot back in 2008 and already spent 10 days orienting at the Sliding Centre. I'm sorry I can't be much help to you, but VANOC is supposed to be arranging accommodations for you. If you like, PM me we your venue details, and if I'm able to offer you some insight and e-mail addresses to VANOC members responsible to assist I'll pass it along.

• Like 1

'syndrum'

For the LAST TIME...I'm not being offered a position as ANY type of medical person but as a games time host. Witht that said I 've also been a very active union member etc. Would not dream of scabbing. So lets put that one to bed.

So its acceptable to support VANOC in one capacity over another, has your Paramedic union released a policy ?

Just wondering is all.

I trying to do the right thing and help out. I was offered a position way back in Novemeber of 2009! Plenty of time to acquire housing at a reasonable price...Tenting in the snow is no big deal, it's the 2-3 weeks without hot and cold water that would disuade me.

Well intentioned, thats awesome but now that you are becoming more informed of the real issues and how VANOC has affected the long term the whole province for their "15 minutes of fame" .... have you Tented in the Whistler Mountain Area its not a easy feat and do me a favor and check in with Whistler SAR Rescue room (it can be located in the village) I am a past member btw.

I was watching the news and because of limiting Venue Tickets to our US neighbor's the 2 RV lots proposed in Vancouver area have been "closed" due to lack of interest.

I'm sorry if any of you readers got upset about the initial post. Eveeything I've read about the Vancouver Olympics seems a little jacked up.

Yeah think, apology accepted.

I've seen nothing in support from any natives.

Ok define Natives ?

In some eastern provinces the First Nations they have refused to allow the "Flame" to cross on their land. Many natives live in true poverty and the cost to the taxpayers running a Flame across 5000 kms to promote the "Olympic Dream"would be better spent to address the issues of POVERTY. The vast majority on First Nations would never ever get to compete with the worlds "elite" let alone attend. I believe in the entire Canadian History of the Olympics only the Firth sisters (out of Inuvik) in cross country skiing were the only First Nations to ever compete ! (Not an Expert in that)

Do you know VANOC had "homeless" in Vancouver um whats the PC word Yes "relocated" the majority or the homeless are from native background. meh another huge FAIL.

I'm probably going to pull the pin on the whole deal. It's a great disappointment though.I spent a year trying to get through the process. I thought it would be fun to help out with the only sports I really support....unpaid ones. The political climate in B.C. seems a little on the warm side. I could go on.

Maybe the best idea to "pull the pin" let Arctickat give the real inside skinny.

Now you can all calm down...wqe need to watch that blood pressure out there.

I take issue with that: MY BP goes through the frigging roof when my brothers and Sisters get screwed over huge, when human rights are tromped upon and a huge waste of taxpayers moneys in the first place.

Here is another "tidbit" the Mayor of Vancouver office renovations will cost more than the Womens Ski Jumping (estimated cost) to be included in the EVENT.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 1

This might be a little off topic here, but I'd just like to make a comment on the olympics in general.

I have found that the olympic games exist soley to enhance the glory and profile of the IOC and in this case COC, and VANOC members. Its certainly not about the world class athletes that participte in the games. Not only has this nonsense with BC ambulance left a bad taste in my mouth, but the corporate ties also seem endless and in my opinion inappropriate. The most ridiculous being Mcdonalds and Coca cola. I know that there is a long standing connection between these brands and the Olympics, but I find it ironic that two junk food companies are the official sponsers of a world class athletic event.

Then are is the controversy with the new design of Team Canada hockey jerseys. The IOC says that the hockey federation logo can not appear on olympic jerseys, so now the new jerseys are selling like hotcakes @ $130 each for replicas. Ten percent of that goes to Hockey Canada, the rest? Back into Olympic coffers, not a bad payday.

I know that it costs a lot of money to run the games, but the corporate sponsorship seems overwhelming and in my opinion, sucks all the fun out of the event. So this latest scandal with BC ambulance just takes the games one step closer to complete irrelevance.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Solidarity to my Canadian EMS Brothers.

I do not plan on watching any of the olympics on tv. I think that it's truly a waste of time and effort in my attempt to procure a paying job.

Good for the athletes, it's a good thing they are competing.

Bad for EMS up there.

I have other things I need to be doing with my evening time besides watching the olympics.

The only reason I'll watch is to see the ice Skating. If Katerine Witt was stil skating I'd watch but I do like the skating.

Not much else to watch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.