Helping or hurting?. . . . .

medic0surgeon

I subscribe to an online medical journal and receive daily articles. Today's article is very interesting, especially to those hoping to become (or already are) doctors.

"December 17, 2009 — Computed tomography (CT) scans are widely used and are an invaluable tool for medical imaging. However, the possible overuse of CT scans and the variability in radiation doses might subsequently lead to thousands of cases of cancer, according to findings from 2 new studies published in the December 14/28 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine. . .

Researchers estimated future cancer risks from current CT scan use in the United States, and projected that 29,000 future cancers will be directly attributable to CT scans that were performed in 2007. It is expected that the majority of these projected cancers will be caused by scans of the abdomen and pelvis (n = 14,000), chest (n = 4100), and head (n = 4000), and by CT coronary angiography (n = 2700)."

What do you think about this. I would love to hear opinions.

~Sam

Not having the CT Scan can be more risky than having it, especially if cancer is suspected. The risks and benefit must be weighed. I would rather have confirmation of something in my head, chest or abdomen before undergoing the knife. For a cardiac check up I would rather have CT Angiography than a Cardiac Cath. For piece of mind, I would like to know my headache post fall is not a subdural bleed. The risk of the effects of radiation is worth that.

Yes, there are times when the CT Scan might be used excessively but that is usually for the ICU patient who may have 2 scans a day for several days. Of course, someone always justifies why each are necessary.

Also, as a health care provider over the years in various patient care settings, I have worn the radiation badge to see how much I have been zapped with inadvertently. Now that is a concern and maybe more studies should be done on those in health care from various expenses to radiation, radioactive material and chemo meds as well as all the other medication and gas exposure in the work environments. Some CCT and Flight crews are exposed to some of these in close quarters of their vehicles almost weekly. What are the long term health effects? Now that is a study I would like to see.

Edited by VentMedic

Not having the CT Scan can be more risky than having it, especially if cancer is suspected. The risks and benefit must be weighed. I would rather have confirmation of something in my head, chest or abdomen before undergoing the knife. For a cardiac check up I would rather have CT Angiography than a Cardiac Cath. For piece of mind, I would like to know my headache post fall is not a subdural bleed. The risk of the effects of radiation is worth that.

Yes, there are times when the CT Scan might be used excessively but that is usually for the ICU patient who may have 2 scans a day for several days. Of course, someone always justifies why each are necessary.

Also, as a health care provider over the years in various patient care settings, I have worn the radiation badge to see how much I have been zapped with inadvertently. Now that is a concern and maybe more studies should be done on those in health care from various expenses to radiation, radioactive material and chemo meds as well as all the other medication and gas exposure in the work environments. Some CCT and Flight crews are exposed to some of these in close quarters of their vehicles almost weekly. What are the long term health effects? Now that is a study I would like to see.

I agree. I would never refuse it to someone who could potentially benefit from it, but when do we take a look at the big picture and think about how much radiation we are throwing into the mass public? To what extent are we manipulating genetics further down the line?

Your lucky you got a badge it took me 4 years of begging and screaming to have a transport ventilator for CT .. agreed I would really like to see studies of HCW exposed on a daily basis, I clearly remember the DI gals telling me ..Its Ok is just a small ammout of radiation, while standing behind lead covered glass 2 inches thick ... right them. :thumbsdown:

For diagnostic purposes risk vs benefit the news media picked up this story too .. laughable on one reporter saying there was less radiation exposure in MRI or Ultrasound ... well that hit my funny bone because the "health watch reporters" have simply NO idea what they are saying (good thing there are Q cards)

cheers

Your lucky you got a badge it took me 4 years of begging and screaming to have a transport ventilator for CT .. agreed I would really like to see studies of HCW exposed on a daily basis, I clearly remember the DI gals telling me ..Its Ok is just a small ammout of radiation, while standing behind lead covered glass 2 inches thick ... right them. :thumbsdown:

It is a good thing we didn't have kids together. I also worked in the cath lab for a couple of years. That is another area for radiation exposure for both the patient and the HCW. And let's not forget all the bronchoscopies we've done under fluoro.

http://www.cathlabdigest.com/articles/Radiation-Tracking-Cardiac-Catheterization-Lab

Edited by VentMedic

This issue is even bigger than the standard clinical studies that generate exposure to radiation. In recent years there has been a surge in things like heart scans and body scans to check for potential problems. People can pay a few bucks, without a prescription, and get to see all the plaque building up in their bodies- both harmless and harmful.

The problem will only get worse unless we get a handle on it.

This issue is even bigger than the standard clinical studies that generate exposure to radiation. In recent years there has been a surge in things like heart scans and body scans to check for potential problems. People can pay a few bucks, without a prescription, and get to see all the plaque building up in their bodies- both harmless and harmful.

How many times are people going to pay $1000+ in cash for a CT Scan? Of course if something is found it will have to be repeated.

We could also complain about mammograms. But, for the underprivileged where the screening have been eliminated due to cutbacks, they might think denying them access to these tests is not very fair. As well, if you don't have insurance, you will NOT get a CT Scan unless you put up the cash or come through the ED and say the right words.

It is a good thing we didn't have kids together. I also worked in the cath lab for a couple of years. That is another area for radiation exposure for both the patient and the HCW. And let's not forget all the bronchoscopies we've done under fluoro.

ditto

Yes a good thing ..... just to be safe I chose a demented she devil that presently can spin her head 360 degrees and spit pea soup 100 paces .... so good for me :thumbsdown:

I would use a thyroid cover and wear it as a baseball cap (and the cheapest glasses because I was told the cheaper they were the higher the lead in the plastic) ... YUP I looked stupid but after pictures were taken (no joke) and sent to "admin" then they started taking us seriously about acquiring a transport ventilator for CT, the studies of maintaining CO2 in a controlled fashion were included as well.

ps Lost a fellow RRT just 3 months ago from a brain tumor @ 56 y/o I will miss Bill Hoh was truly a dedicated professional, he was one of my clinical instructors and I will never forget his advice ..... Walk with Purpose .

It's easy to get lost in the details and forget about the big picture - until the big picture smacks you in the face; by then it's usually too late and the ball rolls down the hill indefinitely.