Mexico

aryan51

A quick search didn't come up with anything, so I guess I'll just come right out with it :rolleyes2:

Does anybody have any info on how EMS works in Mexico City? It's the second largest city in the world, so they have to have some kind of organization beyond volunteer (just speculating).

I'm just a kid trying to use my license to travel, and seeing where it might be able to take me.

Background: 24 year old, brand new California Paramedic.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

ROFL @ your signature! :lol:

I'm assuming that you are fluent in Spanish, right?

If not, there are quite a few schools in Mexico where you can spend a month or three living with a host family, and getting intensive Spanish instruction all day long during the week. Some even have programmes to get you time in a hospital or other medical environment to learn medical Spanish. Many I have spoken to say that it will get you native fluent pretty quickly. It's something I always wanted to do. And you'd certainly get a great opportunity to check out how things work and do some networking while you're down there.

• Like 1

In Mexico all levels are Paramedic. You will also find that what shows up on the ambulance depends on the class of citizen. A rich person may get an ambulance with doctors on board while a poor person will get an ambulance with one Paramedic that may not even have first responder training and no one else on the ambulance. Mexico is not a place to get sick or hurt unless rich and even then you may want to find a way out as fast as possible.

Learn your medical Spanish and understand Spanish is different based on region and also based on income level. Also facial expression and gestures can change entire meanings of phrases/words.

Also like English many words have many meanings. For example pistola can be a pistol or a penis.

So learn important phrases such as Quite toda la ropas, por favor and you should be fine. :shiftyninja:

Also like English many words have many meanings. For example pistola can be a pistol or a penis.

Yeah, you definitely have to be careful with double meaning words in Spanish. If you ask for pollo, depending on where you, may get chicken or penis. Situational awareness FTW.

Stay away from Mexico city!!!!

The violence is high and being an american you become a target.

Get a job working for a large service that has multiple states under their belts like Acadian, Rural Metro, or AMR.

Look into private sector for Chemical companies, off shore rigs, and private companys worldwide.

EMSResponder did an article on it back in 2006...here is a link.

http://www.emsresponder.com/features/article.jsp?siteSection=6&id=3371

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.