Can you take the EMT certification program if your pregnant?

Sarah1985

We had a member take the course, while pregnant. The only issue was lifting, which, IMO, would be a bad idea. However, the individual passed all of the written and practical skills (sans lift and carry). She was passed, and following delivery and some time, we "signed her off" as having observed proper lifting and carrying techniques. I really wouldn't see any problem, as long as you're aware of what you can and cannot do safely.

• Like 2

Depends where you go, Riverside comm college has a paramedic program with some pt, and if you can't pt your out.

It's not a paramedic program. It's a firemedic program.

• Like 4

Sarah1985, I see no indication of where you are, geographically. If you are in the United States, by telling you that you are not allowed to take the class, the person denying you entry, and the training agency, possibly, and probably, could be sued for discrimination.

I do, however, put into the mix here, as I think has already been mentioned, the person denying your entry might have been trying to protect your fetus, as also already mentioned in this string.

I would suggest you keep some kind of written log of the events related to this, including what your regular and OB/Gyn doctors say about what potential harm, or lack of, your taking the classes would bring to the fetus.

I am "working hurt" at a "light duty" posting in my employ by the FDNY, and have to get a doctor's clearance to take a Continuing Medical Education (CME) class next month, which will involve me doing CPR on the training dummies. Does your training agency ask for some kind of "ability to perform without medical compromise" paperwork? If yes, again, see what your doctors say.

If cleared by your doctors, and still ahead by a good period of time before your delivery date, but still denied, then it will be time to talk to the lawyers as to how good a case you might have against the training agency.

On consultation with my mother (at age 55, I am the youngest of 3 children), she suggests if the pregnancy is near the delivery date, that, if possible, you postpone entry into the training until after the birth. We understand that we don't fully know your situation, and all this remains at the level of suggestions and guesswork.

Keep yourself and the baby healthy.

There is no reason as to why you could not take the class or test while you are pregnant. Every class we have held in the past few semesters has had at least 2 pregnant women in there, most of them being young, single parents. As far as making a lawsuit against this situation, that would be a waste of time....in my opinion. More than likely, the lady was looking out for you. You just have to be careful about your pregnancy and what you do. There's not much in the EMT-B class that would affect your pregnancy.