paramedic school

japoneez

hello all! i will be completing my emt-b course at the end of january and will take the national registry exam following that. i was wondering if anyone here is located in southern california orange county or los angeles area and can recommend some good schools i can look into for paramedic. thanks!

Why, a "good" paramedic school should prepare a person for practice regardless of prior experience. EMS continues to be one of the few areas in medicine that mandate working at a lower level prior to moving up. To the OP, good luck with your searching, a good school can be hard to find. Look for degree programs that mandate college level courses such as anatomy and physiology.

Take care,

chbare.

• Like 1

Dude,

A simple google search will yield the Paramedic programs in your area. You can also google the national guidlines as to hours and determine for yourself whether or not it is a good program.

Firemedic 65 and chbare both have good points, but allow me to allaborate......

A GOOD program should have more than the national suggested hours for didactics, clinical rotations and for field internships. Because of this, they will give more than enough time in the field before graduation to master some of the more basic yet unrefined skills in the field of EMS. Yes, I am referring the the Assessment.

BUT, since most don't. It is best to get some experience working as a basic, so you can master the basics, before moving on to sore more advanced techniques and methodologies.

In the end, it is your call......In my book, it comes down to this......YOU GET OUT OF IT, WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT. Got it....GOOD.

Good Luck. Also, if it is worth anything.. Look for a program that offers A & P as part of the program, or makes you take it through the school ,preferrably through an accredited college or university. It relates directly to your assessment.

That probably didn't help, but hey...I feel better..

Good luck.

• Like 1

From a long term standpoint one needs to look at opportunity cost. Do you want to lock up 2-3 years of your life pursuing a paramedic degree? Or would you rather get A&P and pharm and go to a good tech school (not a 3-5 month medic mill, please) and be able to pay into your retirement and have an income stream that much sooner. For investing in your retirement or otherwise, the time frame of the investment is more important than the amount invested, mainly due to compound interest. A good example of this would be comparing a one time investment of 10k (or whatever) over 30 years, or the same amount divided biweekly over 30 years a-la dollar cost averaging (or value averaging, if you know what you're doing). A degree or tech cert program will both result in the same qualifications for employment. A good tech program will prepare you just as well for the field as a degree program. Stonybrook University in Suffolk Co. NY would be one such example. The thing is, there are so few quality tech programs around.

It seems unlikely at the moment that all medics will be required, at some point, to attain a degree to remain employed. I can see the U.S. going to paramedic as an entry level position, though. A degree would be more beneficial for career development or to transfer credits to another healthcare related degree. Speaking of that, I would highly recommend staying at EMT, and knocking out an RRt, ASN/BSN, or PA degree early on, before you become entrenched (read: trapped) in your medic career. These degrees require a signifcant time investment. These programs generally run full time, which is not conducive to working a full time career. These healthcare degrees are not like others, where you can chip away at it a class or two at a time depending on your availability. I'm facing that problem currently, as I may go for a degree in EMS admin or emergency management prior to ASN or RRT for career development purposes. It's not beneficial for me to take a leave of absence to complete a degree that requires FT attendance, when my current salary trumps that of the degree of which I desire.

If you work for an EMS agency that has set shifts, you can schedule school around your work schedule. That's how I went to medic school. Truth be told, if I had never landed my current job, I would have knocked out an ASN at either Hunter College or Nassau CC in NY by now, working at my old employer, who were very pro-education in regards to scheduling. Also worth mentioning is that you don't need to spend a fortune in education. Work experience generally trumps your alma-mater. Go to the cheapest accreditied school that you possibly can provided you're sure that you can get a foot in the door somewhere, to gain that experience. This is another example of opportunity cost. You could be paying off loans at an expensive university, or you can make a clean break and start investing.

Edited by 46Young

Please use this site in your search for a paramedic school. Take the accredited programs you find here and narrow them down to ones that offer/require college credit or, even better, award a college degree for successful completion.

Good luck!

-be safe

Fortunately all Paramedic programs in California must be accedited by CoAEMSP. However, not all are created equal. If one reads the posts by Diazepam618, you may get an idea of the type of Paramedic Daniel Freeman might graduate. Interest in patient care is not a requirement.

Do you want to lock up 2-3 years of your life pursuing a paramedic degree? Or, would you rather get A&P and pharm and go to a good tech school (not a 3-5 month medic mill, please)

Disadvantages to a tech school is the lack of transferable credits. If you are accepted into a community college to do real college level A&P and Pharmacology, it isn't that much of a stretch to stay with a reputable school. You may want to advance your career by going into education or even get a promotion at the FD where a degree will be a head start. You also can get a certificate as a Paramedic at a local college without doing the whole 2 year degree. Someday EMS may even promote the 2 year degree as Oregon (and one other midwest state I can never remember) has already established and those college credits will have given you a good head start. Don't depend on any tech school credits to transfer and even if a few hours are given for the patch, they will fall very short. Also never look at a college education as wasting or locking up your life as some shortcuts may come back to haunt you severely later if you have any ambition for future endeavors.

Also worth mentioning is that you don't need to spend a fortune in education. Work experience generally trumps your alma-mater. Go to the cheapest accreditied school that you possibly can provided you're sure that you can get a foot in the door somewhere, to gain that experience. This is another example of opportunity cost. You could be paying off loans at an expensive university, or you can make a clean break and start investing.

The price per credit hour at a California Community College is almost obscenely cheap at around $25/credit hour. Get your education while these prices last. Paying less then $3000 for a whole 2 year college degree beats a $12,000 medic mill cert. For that price you can have something more challenging at Loma Linda Medical University.

Work experience is good but this "street smarts" attitude has also kept EMS providers as "trade" school techs and identified by a few technical skills rather than being recognized as EDUCATED MEDICAL professionals. This has held EMS back in legislative issues for reimbursement at state and Federal levels. One can get an education and then have the "street smarts" stuff make sense with a medical explanation rather than "this is the way we've always done it" or "just follow the recipe".

Now if you just want to be a FF, ignor all advice here and follow the lead of the Diazepam618s who brag about making $100K while working well over 3000 hours/year with the FD and patient care is the furtherest thing from their minds. However, you can still be a FF/Paramedic but if you want to be a good Paramedic and not do a disservice to the patients and taxpayors, get a proper education.

• Like 2

Fortunately all Paramedic programs in California must be accedited by CoAEMSP. However, not all are created equal. If one reads the posts by Diazepam618, you may get an idea of the type of Paramedic Daniel Freeman might graduate. Interest in patient care is not a requirement.

Disadvantages to a tech school is the lack of transferable credits. If you are accepted into a community college to do real college level A&P and Pharmacology, it isn't that much of a stretch to stay with a reputable school. You may want to advance your career by going into education or even get a promotion at the FD where a degree will be a head start. You also can get a certificate as a Paramedic at a local college without doing the whole 2 year degree. Someday EMS may even promote the 2 year degree as Oregon (and one other midwest state I can never remember) has already established and those college credits will have given you a good head start. Don't depend on any tech school credits to transfer and even if a few hours are given for the patch, they will fall very short. Also never look at a college education as wasting or locking up your life as some shortcuts may come back to haunt you severely later if you have any ambition for future endeavors.

The price per credit hour at a California Community College is almost obscenely cheap at around $25/credit hour. Get your education while these prices last. Paying less then $3000 for a whole 2 year college degree beats a $12,000 medic mill cert. For that price you can have something more challenging at Loma Linda Medical University.

Work experience is good but this "street smarts" attitude has also kept EMS providers as "trade" school techs and identified by a few technical skills rather than being recognized as EDUCATED MEDICAL professionals. This has held EMS back in legislative issues for reimbursement at state and Federal levels. One can get an education and then have the "street smarts" stuff make sense with a medical explanation rather than "this is the way we've always done it" or "just follow the recipe".

Now if you just want to be a FF, ignor all advice here and follow the lead of the Diazepam618s who brag about making $100K while working well over 3000 hours/year with the FD and patient care is the furtherest thing from their minds. However, you can still be a FF/Paramedic but if you want to be a good Paramedic and not do a disservice to the patients and taxpayors, get a proper education.

I acknowledged that having the degree will benefit for career advancement/career change. Although having a degree is desireable, it's not required as a condition of employment, and many places don't really care either way. Employers will likely choose a prospective employee from a tech school with several years of related experience over someone with a degree who has no experience as minimum staffing on an ambulance. Getting the medic cert through a tech program would be all that's required if the individual has no further career aspirations. In that situation, it's more financially beneficial to start work as quickly as possible.

You're saving only 9k by going the CCC route. Well, not really, since you're giving up a year's worth of salary, plus contributions to a 401k, with employer match. If you invested 10,000 as a lump sum (one year's pre tax contributions with employer match) into a defined contribution plan, gaining on average 10% annually over a 30 year period, you would have approx. $198000. This also applies to 529's, for all you parents out there. Get started now! College isn't cheap.

http://www.moneychim..._calculator.htm

You would have this much in 40 years: $537,000. If you want to go less aggressive with maybe a balanced fund at 8%, you'll have about $109000. After 40 years, $242,000. Consider further that the account will continue to grow post retirement, as one still needs some exposure to equities to allow the retirement account to at least keep pace with inflation.

Edited by 46Young

You would have this much in 40 years: $537,000. If you want to go less aggressive with maybe a balanced fund at 8%, you'll have about $109000. After 40 years, $242,000. Consider further that the account will continue to grow post retirement, as one still needs some exposure to equities to allow the retirement account to at least keep pace with inflation.

Your numbers are impressive but he should also invest in his future in education. Tech education is almost nonexistent in the medial professions. If EMS ever gets its start at becoming part of the medical professions, those who skimped on education and just did the bare minimum may be severely penalized in the future. The old dogs may not have to worry if they are grandfathered and are ready to move on or out. However, the young people just starting out could have it rough if they graduate from a medic mill. Also, figure up the cost of that $12K loan at 10% over the next 15 - 20 years. And, you don't even get a degree or even transferable credits.

You also failed to calculate what advancements in education can bring someone in terms of salary. You are essentially calculating on a blue collar basis. Someone who holds a degree can advance quickly through the FD ranks to an impressive salary toward their retirement, much more than a basic FF. Those wages that even a FF makes now may be small fry in 10 years. Also, as far as Southern CA, one can just pull all that OT just so long to make ends meet as a FF. They are by far not the better paid in that state when compared with other places.

The FDs also do not know what the future holds for them. I truly believe those that advanced beyond the tech mentality will be the leaders to determine the destiny of EMS. It is a shame that some FDs really do want to keep EMS as just a trade school profession and not look to where even their own reimbursement dollars may have to come from when the taxpayors are not going to hand over their money so easily for so little when it comes to ALS care in their community. Not everyone wants or needs only a taxi ride to the hospital.

I would never want to discourage someone, especially a young person, against college or tell them it is not a good investment or that they should just for for a tech cert and the money. There are too many people in the automotive industry that are kicking themselves for at least not getting a two year degree right after high school. Too many in several industries have lost their pensions and investments due to industry changes and that even includes some in health care. If you have nothing but a tech cert, you may be SOL.

• Like 1