emt not english teacher.

tamaith

I wouldn't uproot everything to come down here on a blind ad from career builder. There are a lot of staffing agencies that are promoting the "disaster response" positions. They do this to secure federal funding and most will NEVER deploy. If they do, it is usually only for 1-3 days, and will be limited to maybe 1-3 times per year when a natural issue presents. On top of that, the entire state is covered by State Guard, National Guard, local contingency resources, DMAT teams, the Civil Air Patrol, and RAC agreement resources. So to sum it up, the chances of you making a decent living or gaining experience from this "opportunity" is nil. You will spend 99% of your days doing IFT's (if you can even find a position) or volunteering as an EMT-B.

Staying put and gaining experience and advancing your education may be your best bet.

flight thanks for the heads up. crotch, i m currently trying to find that out. I really really hope not. don't get me wrong i think its excellent if someone can speak multiple languages but, one of them must be english. also the majority of them don't take the nat reg exam, they are very content on being first responders and emt b state cert only. then they save up money and open their own company. i have had plenty of them say why would i want to be a medic or nat cert? i can just work more hours and/or with two companies and make the same amount of money. if i became a medic i would have to deal with blood and disease. my response is why did you even become a first responder or emt b? and then tell them that this is only a small stepping stone you can t just stop your education here, this is only the begining.

How do they pass the national registry or state exam if they do not speak english ? Please tell me that your state does not offer the test in foreign languages.

Like Texas, Florida offers the Driver's License test in Spanish so some can start out as Drivers for some ambulance companies and do some OJT for skills while taking a class that is Bilingual to get them enough EMT knowledge in English to pass the test. Most students are from countries where their educational systems are at a higher level than that in the U.S. and many already know at least two or three languages. It is not that difficult for someone who comes from this type of educational background with higher expectations to pick up enough English quickly with an EMT text book that is written at about the 8th or 9th grade level to pass an EMT exam. You may also have to consider that some were in some type of medical profession in their own country and the EMT-B is probably just a review of the "basics" they already know. Thus, with their abilities with at least 2 - 3 other languages and soon, English, those from other countries are an asset to companies in large tourist areas.

Many of the foreign students have a reading comprehension that is considered well into college level by U.S. standards when they graduate from their high schoools which is above what many U.S. kids are graduating at. Their math and science programs are also much stronger in material than that of the U.S. Thus, students from other countries do have an advantage as many are able to enter into our college systems without a great proficiency in English and do very well. Most will master the English language while completing their studies in our colleges. However, for those that work as EMTs in certain parts of this country may not need to know much English to still function very well. If you look around at some of the EMS forums or run reports, a few of our own American born kids can not write English proficiently or even communicate verbally very well in it. Overall, the U.S. kids are disadvantaged when it comes to education.

Edited by VentMedic

also the majority of them don't take the nat reg exam, they are very content on being first responders and emt b state cert only. then they save up money and open their own company. i have had plenty of them say why would i want to be a medic or nat cert? i can just work more hours and/or with two companies and make the same amount of money. if i became a medic i would have to deal with blood and disease. my response is why did you even become a first responder or emt b? and then tell them that this is only a small stepping stone you can t just stop your education here, this is only the begining.

I read the same comments on the American EMS forums with the ALS vs BLS discussions, the education debates and the EMTs who will never advance to Paramedic. If you've ever been around some of the larger American BLS transport companies you will hear the EMTs say the same things. The only thing that will get them away from that job is one on an engine with a FD.

Edited by VentMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.