Good EMS books?

THere's a super great book..not really EMS but it's about wartime medicine...called On Call in Hell. It is written by CDR Richard Jadick who is a recipient of the Bronze Star with a Combat V for Valor.

Inside Jacket:

"Not even working as a resident in a shock trauma center in downtown Baltimore could have prepared Richard Jadick for this. The two-month-long Battle of Fallujah would be remembered as one of the bloodiest episodes of the war, with some of the worst urban combat seen by American troops in decades. And here he was in the middle of it...

In spring 2004, with the military reeling from an acute doctor shortage, Jadick, a Navy doctor, volunteered to accompany the First Battalion, Eighth Marine Regiment (the "1/8") to Iraq. Five days after the birth of his daughter, he shipped out. When his unit was ordered to take the center of Fallujah, Jadick found himself under fire--and in hell. But instead of letting the wounded come to him, he went to the wounded, setting up a makeshift emergency room in the middle of the battlefield. For eleven days at the Forward Aid Station--and many beyond--Jadick and his team worked tirelessly and courageously around the clock to save their troops. It is estimated that without Jadick at the front, the Marines would have lost an additional thirty men. Of the hundreds of men he treated, only one died after reaching a hospital.

Wrenching and at the same time uplifting, On Call in Hell offers a portrayal of brothers in arms--and a snapshot of war--that few will be able to forget. Awarded a Bronze Star with a Combat V for valor, Jadick has become a modern American legend--and a hero for the ages."

One of the best medical books I've read in a long time

• Like 1

I read a great book by Kelly Grayson called "enroute". It is essentially his memoirs over his career in a series of short stories. Each story relating to a memorable call he had been on. From the joyful to the bizarre to that one call none of us will ever forget for the rest of our lives, I found myself reading his book and thinking, "yup, I've been there and I know exactly where he's coming from."

Another book you might like is the memoirs of a Vietnam vet dustoff pilot. Even though there is a slight lull in the book at about the 3/4 point the first few pages and the ending left me amazed at what this man accomplished and how he ended up after the war. The book is called "ChickenHawk" by Robert Mason.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

I read a great book by Kelly Grayson called "enroute".

The book is called "ChickenHawk" by Robert Mason.

Both are guys I know! I haven't read Kelly's book because I just don't read books anymore. But he was at EMStock with tniuqs and I last Fall. Good guy with a great way of presenting his insight grippingly, with a humour that sinks his wisdom home.

I've known Bob Mason for twenty years. Wonderful guy. Although not as commercially successful, I felt his follow-up book, "Chickenhawk: Back In The World" was even better than the original. Brutal honesty. And it foreshadowed things to come in my life. But yeah, the way the original book ends is a good lesson for those in the emergency services. http://www.robertcmason.com/

Incidentally, Bob is also the author of a book called "Weapon", which was made into a movie called "Solo" back in the 90s. The book (SciFi) was a lot better than the movie! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117688/

• Like 2

Both are guys I know! I haven't read Kelly's book because I just don't read books anymore.

Is it because of a time issue that you don't read? If so, I like the way Kelly wrote his book, each chapter is only 2 or 3 pages and can therefore be easily set down to come back to later....a good book for the bathroom if ya know what I mean. ;)

• Like 1

As long as it isn't written by some twit who became and worked as an EMT after dealing drugs for 20 years while working at Walmart. Then felt enlightened so much he/she had to write a book to occupy all their time since they retired after a year because he/she couldn't handle the stress.

• Like 1

Seriously? Someone is dinging our reputation points for this thread? I figured it wouldn't take long for some ass to start abusing this system. It would be nice to know why.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.