Question about NY paramedic/EMT scene

I am living in FLorida, but my teenage daughter wants to go to college in New York so among the things I am considering is relocating to New York State. (I'm now a CNA and am taking an EMT course starting in January). I'd love to hear from anyone who works in New York state about paramedic/emt working conditions, salary, job opportunities, etc. I'd consider anywhere in the state.

I am living in FLorida, but my teenage daughter wants to go to college in New York so among the things I am considering is relocating to New York State. (I'm now a CNA and am taking an EMT course starting in January). I'd love to hear from anyone who works in New York state about paramedic/emt working conditions, salary, job opportunities, etc. I'd consider anywhere in the state.

Nobody? There MUST be some NY paramedics or EMTs on here!?

To make any appreciable amount of money, you'll need to work in NYC. BLS pays around 10/hr for privates, maybe 15-22 for 911 participating hospitals. ER techs can make 15-20/hr as well. Working conditions are poor in the privates, but are decent at the hospitals. It's easy to get hired by a private, but difficult to get hired by a hosp. (except North Shore LIJ CEMS) without any prior 911 experience, or an "in". CNA's make anywhere from 10-15/hr, check openings at the hospitals. 1 BR in a decent area runs 1000-1200/month. 2BR maybe 1500-1900. Car insurance is oppresively high.

Also, I would focus my energy on an ER tech or CNA position at the hospital. If you want to break into 911, apply to a hospital system that has an EMS agency, such as NSLIJ or NY Presbyterian, so you can focus on getting hired from the inside. Working conditions in the hospital will trump that of the street, and is way more school friendly. If you want to go RN (challenge the medic afterwards) there are many schools available, and plenty of employment available post graduation, unlike elsewhere in the country. The city did have a program that gave aid for those wishing to pursue LPN school. you can look into that, also.

Medics make around 20-22 in the privates, and 22-32 in the hospitals.

It's typically been easy to get hired with FDNY EMS. The working conditions are horrible, though.

http://nyc.gov/html/...ts_042607.shtml

When you park your car, lock your steering wheel with the club lock facing the dash. This makes it way more difficult for the perp to pick the lock.

Edited by 46Young
  • Like 1

That is GREAT info! Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Wow, the salaries in NYC are way higher than they are here in Florida. Of course so is the rent.

I may just ditch my beloved vehicle when I move to NYC - I don't think I could afford a parking space. I went to NYU way back when, still visit friends in the city from time to time, and as I recall - parking is a beeyotch, traffic is awful, etc.

If you were going to pick a borough to live in, taking schools into consideration, which would you pick?

To make any appreciable amount of money, you'll need to work in NYC. BLS pays around 10/hr for privates, maybe 15-22 for 911 participating hospitals. ER techs can make 15-20/hr as well. Working conditions are poor in the privates, but are decent at the hospitals. It's easy to get hired by a private, but difficult to get hired by a hosp. (except North Shore LIJ CEMS) without any prior 911 experience, or an "in". CNA's make anywhere from 10-15/hr, check openings at the hospitals. 1 BR in a decent area runs 1000-1200/month. 2BR maybe 1500-1900. Car insurance is oppresively high.

Also, I would focus my energy on an ER tech or CNA position at the hospital. If you want to break into 911, apply to a hospital system that has an EMS agency, such as NSLIJ or NY Presbyterian, so you can focus on getting hired from the inside. Working conditions in the hospital will trump that of the street, and is way more school friendly. If you want to go RN (challenge the medic afterwards) there are many schools available, and plenty of employment available post graduation, unlike elsewhere in the country. The city did have a program that gave aid for those wishing to pursue LPN school. you can look into that, also.

Medics make around 20-22 in the privates, and 22-32 in the hospitals.

It's typically been easy to get hired with FDNY EMS. The working conditions are horrible, though.

http://nyc.gov/html/...ts_042607.shtml

When you park your car, lock your steering wheel with the club lock facing the dash. This makes it way more difficult for the perp to pick the lock.

Staten Island is too isolated. The city is either too expensive or too rough, depending on the area. No middle ground there.

I've lived in Bushwick Brooklyn. I don't recommend it. Greenpoint is relatively safe, Bay Ridge is OK. So is Park Slope, but it's expensive. I wouldn't recommend any other neighborhoods.

I've also lived in Ridgewood and Middle Village Queens. Both areas have buses and the M train. Ridgewood was getting a little ghetto, but the Eastern Europeans have bought up a lot of property there, and maintain it well. Glendale is OK. Bayside, Whitestone, Flushing, Fresh Meadows and Glen Oaks are good to live, but are expensive and lack much mass transit (except for Flushing). Best bang for your buck while being in a safe area would be Middle Village, Glendale, or Ridgewood from Fresh Pond Rd down to about Onderdonk or Seneca Ave. Stay away from Myrtle Avenue unless you're above Seneca. Metropolitan Ave from Forest Ave up through union Tpke is safe. Stay out of LIC, Astoria, Corona, Jackson Hts, Woodside, Sunnyside, East Elmhurst, and most of the Eastern/Southern part of Queens to include the Rockaways, and anything down Woodhaven. I've either lived, worked EMS or both in all of the areas I've mentioned so far. When you work nights, you see what really goes on. stay away from any areas along the J or A lines.

I don't know much about the Bronx. Many parts of the Bronx are rough.

Middle Village has no alternate side of the street parking, so you could easily keep your car there. Crime is relatively low there. My in-laws live there.

Edited by 46Young
  • Like 1

About your car, is it possible to keep it registered in FL? Much cheaper. Everyone else in NY does it. Go down any street, particularly in poorer areas, look down the block, and you'll see PA, NY, PA, PA, NC, NY, PA, FL, GA. I'm sure that Bed Stuy isn't exactly a prime destination for tourists. Long Island in general has cheaper insurance rates, and reasonable rates in the New Hyde Park area. Something else to consider.

Edited by 46Young
  • Like 1

About your car, is it possible to keep it registered in FL? Much cheaper. Everyone else in NY does it. Go down any street, particularly in poorer areas, look down the block, and you'll see PA, NY, PA, PA, NC, NY, PA, FL, GA. I'm sure that Bed Stuy isn't exactly a prime destination for tourists. Long Island in general has cheaper insurance rates, and reasonable rates in the New Hyde Park area. Something else to consider.

That is certainly a possibility! I guess I could use my mother's address here in Florida.

I am cutting and pasting all this great information! Thank you!

Middle Village looks very promising, and even relatively affordable.

So is there much EMT work available out in the boroughs or would I most likely need to commute in?

Stay out of . . . the Rockaways . . .

Which section(s) of the Rockaways? Far Rockaway? Bayswater? Seagirt? Edgemere? Arverne? Hammels? Rockaway Beach? Rockaway Park? Belle Harbor? Neponsit? Roxbury? Rockaway Point? Point Breeze?

Roxbury, Rockaway Point and Point Breeze are gated, co-op communities, with their own security force, so if you say those are high crime areas, the locals will definitely have words with you.

And, as a point of information, I live in the Belle Harbor/Neponsit area, and work basically in Far Rockaway,

You do realize that the fool stupid actions of a few locals regrettably end up with entire neighborhoods being "painted with the same brush". I've actually met really decent people in what are considered some of the worst Public Housing Projects in the city, and some really nasty folks in the "rich" neighborhoods.

REGISTER your car in NYS if you move.

In almost all states, unlessyou are active Duty Military, It is Illegal to live in that state, and keep a car registered in another. Unless you keep and own a home in FLA, ditch the car and take mass trasit, or keep it and register it in NY, it is just safer that way.

Adding on FormerEMSLT297's comment, while the time line may differ, all US states have a grace period before it becomes mandatory to reregister a car or truck to the residence in the new state.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.