I did it!

HERBIE1

OK, after repeatedly saying that I probably would not get the vaccine, I changed my mind. After weighing all the factors, and learning a few things, I took the intranasal inoculation today, although I did refuse the seasonal flu vaccine.

The tipping points-

Although you will shed the virus for several days after the dose, because it is an attenuated version, it is too weak to spread the disease, but it may actually impart immunity to anyone who is exposed to it.

Concern about bringing home the virus to my family if exposed, even if I am OK. I have an at-risk child and wife-they both have asthma.

Let's just say this: If this is another false alarm like the avian flu, I will not be happy since I NEVER get the flu. All the hysterics and warnings from the avian flue and now H1N1 will desensitize the general public for the next expected "epidemic". Even if there is a real threat in the future, I think a lot of people will simply ignore those warnings.

Edit: Mods, please move this post to the appropriate forum. Sorry-

Edited by HERBIE1
  • Like 2

OK, after repeatedly saying that I probably would not get the vaccine, I changed my mind. After weighing all the factors, and learning a few things, I took the intranasal inoculation today, although I did refuse the seasonal flu vaccine.

The tipping points-

Although you will shed the virus for several days after the dose, because it is an attenuated version, it is too weak to spread the disease, but it may actually impart immunity to anyone who is exposed to it.

Concern about bringing home the virus to my family if exposed, even if I am OK. I have an at-risk child and wife-they both have asthma.

Let's just say this: If this is another false alarm like the avian flu, I will not be happy since I NEVER get the flu. All the hysterics and warnings from the avian flue and now H1N1 will desensitize the general public for the next expected "epidemic". Even if there is a real threat in the future, I think a lot of people will simply ignore those warnings.

Edit: Mods, please move this post to the appropriate forum. Sorry-

With a new baby in the house I as well will be getting both the N1H1 vaccine and the pneumonia vaccine from my doc's office. Too much risk for my little baby.

I am still not sure about it so I am opting NOT to get it. But best of luck to you guys.

I am a STRONG advocate for this Vaccination, H1N1 stop it in its tracks because if it mutates and it will we could be in a real world of hurt.

Problem is we don't have it available in Kanukistan yet sheesh ... my name has been placed on a list for Emergency call out in event of pandemic as an RRT ... so best have a room in cells for me as I will not set foot in a hospital until I receive it, ps have also been in my own ICU as a patient for a viral pneumonia ... not doing that again thanks.

I have also volunteered to assist in administration as I have a friend that is a Health Advisor for a First Nations reserve right close to my house.

Word has it that compliance with HCW is not good ... so could we be part of the problem ... I say yes.

cheers

• Like 1

I am a STRONG advocate for this Vaccination, H1N1 stop it in its tracks because if it mutates and it will we could be in a real world of hurt.

Problem is we don't have it available in Kanukistan yet sheesh ... my name has been placed on a list for Emergency call out in event of pandemic as an RRT ... so best have a room in cells for me as I will not set foot in a hospital until I receive it, ps have also been in my own ICU as a patient for a viral pneumonia ... not doing that again thanks.

I have also volunteered to assist in administration as I have a friend that is a Health Advisor for a First Nations reserve right close to my house.

Word has it that compliance with HCW is not good ... so could we be part of the problem ... I say yes.

cheers

Yeah as a member of the Va Medical Reserve Corp I am also helping in administering the Vaccine to the people that want it. We start our the end of OCT. But me personally I am against it and I too have been hospitalized with pneumonia turnip. A pneumonia vaccine I have taken but I will not take the other.

Edited by itku2er

The pneumonia seen in H1N1 is very different than that which the Pneumonia Vaccine prevents.

The Pneumonia Vvaccine is given to prevent pneumonia caused by the pneumococcus bacterium.

H1N1 flu is especially dangerous for young healthy adults because the H1N1 virus may cause a “cytokine storm” – a sudden release of inflammatory chemicals. This is the pneumonia type infection and inflammation we are now dealing with in the ICUs and which requires the more impressive technology.

• Like 1

Well, so far...

Talked to someone who had both the seasonal flu shot and the intranasal injection yesterday, and she is NOT doing well. She says she feels like crap, weak, achy, etc.

As for me- pretty damn sore in the joints and not feeling up to snuff. Had a fairly rigorous medical day yesterday-including 2 intensive cardiac arrests and a patient in septic shock, but nothing really physical, and nothing that would explain why I'm so sore. The aching joints are also nothing I've ever felt before except when I first started working out. In other words, I guess this is what getting the flu must feel like.

My regrets are beginning to stir...

Well, so far...

Talked to someone who had both the seasonal flu shot and the intranasal injection yesterday, and she is NOT doing well. She says she feels like crap, weak, achy, etc.

As for me- pretty damn sore in the joints and not feeling up to snuff. Had a fairly rigorous medical day yesterday-including 2 intensive cardiac arrests and a patient in septic shock, but nothing really physical, and nothing that would explain why I'm so sore. The aching joints are also nothing I've ever felt before except when I first started working out. In other words, I guess this is what getting the flu must feel like.

My regrets are beginning to stir...

The response from the pro vaccination people would be that you already had the flu and also already had swine flu it just took till today to get the full blown symptoms.

The pneumonia seen in H1N1 is very different than that which the Pneumonia Vaccine prevents.

The Pneumonia Vvaccine is given to prevent pneumonia caused by the pneumococcus bacterium.

H1N1 flu is especially dangerous for young healthy adults because the H1N1 virus may cause a “cytokine storm” – a sudden release of inflammatory chemicals. This is the pneumonia type infection and inflammation we are now dealing with in the ICUs and which requires the more impressive technology.

Thanks Vent for the help I never really associated pneumonia with H1N1. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I need to do more reading up on it. (yes turnip you were right! :whistle: )

The response from the pro vaccination people would be that you already had the flu and also already had swine flu it just took till today to get the full blown symptoms.

Yeah, I know. Problem is, there is no way in the world to prove or disprove that.

Coincidence? Secondary to the vaccination? Sore muscles due to "old" age? All in my head?

At this point, I'm leaning towards the last 2 options-

I just talked to my partner and he's fine. In fact, he said he's getting ready to open a beer.

Hmm... LOL

• Like 1