Auto-inject Medication Devices

scubanurse

Before y'all think I'm a whacker or tool or whatever other word maybe used hear me out. I am helping my parents outfit their medical kit for a 3-year around the world sailing trip. They will be going to some places with primitive medical care, and also long durations away from land and civilization. Our primary doctor is very willing to work with me on making sure they have antibiotics and all other things that they might need (sutures, IV's, etc...).

So onto my main question. While walking around the EMS Today Convention in Baltimore earlier this year, I saw a booth with various auto-injectors. They did not sell on site and gave me a brochure, which, of course I lost. Do any of you know what company would sell the various auto-injectors out there? Primarily we are looking for the morphine injector that I saw in their case. Our PMD and I think this is the best way so that my non-medically inclined parents can administer morphine in the case of a long bone injury. On a sailboat there is potential to fall from the mast, fall down the gallyway, so there are a lot of scenarios we need to prepare for.

I understand a few of you might jump on me for this, and will have strong feelings about non-trained civilians doing sutures and the like, but please keep the following in mind:

1) My PMD is educating them in when to give antibiotics and when not to

2) My parents are not idiots. They are not planning on treating long term. The equipment is more for stabilization until they can get a medical evac (which could be a few days in some parts of their trips)

So any help on finding the company that sells these auto-injectors and any experience in using them and how well they work.

Thank you

Wow! A 3 year adventure? Nice!

That is a valid question for someone planning a trip that long.

The primary doctor might contact the ACEP (American College of Emergency Physicians).

They have a maritime section. I just learned that myself from one of our ED doctors tonight when I asked your question here.

http://www.acep.org/acepmembership.aspx?id=27940&coll=1&collid=192

You might also ask your questions on this forum:

http://www.sailnet.com/

Other countries may have different laws and also carry medications in different forms for ease of use.

I believe Meridan Medical Technologies might also be of help and they may have been at the EMS expo.

Edited by VentMedic

I am familiar with sailnet and we belong to the 7 seas cruising association, which is where I got a basic kit list from and we're going off of it. The ACEP is a great resource and I will look into it. A local hospital in D.C. GW to be exact does the cruise line base hospital deal so I was thinking of asking one of their docs about stuff as well.

Ty for your help!

• Like 1

It has been a few years since I last went into a West Marine, Boater's Word, or a boat show for that matter but back when I was at them on any given weekend they had special kits made just for sailors. These kits were mini trauma packs and ment to keep a person alive and stable for up to 3 days. I can't remember the item list that would be in one off hand ( or how much they were I was a kid at the time and didn't think of money). I just remember having 2 kits on the boats I grew up on. One was the basic kit and the other was called the Coast Gaurd kit because if you needed that one you were also on the radio for the CG. I very vaugly remember the CG kit having some auto-injectors in it. Again I was a child the last time I saw it. Things most likely have changed.