How do you all deal with test anxiety?

itku2er

I need some pointers on how to deal with test anxiety? Thanks for the help in advanced.

A friend of mine suggestd I go get Hypnotized for it what are your thoughts on that one?

You should try and discover what it is that is making you anxious. This is one of the steps to eliminating testing anxiety. By finding out what is causing it, you will be able to take steps to eliminate the stress or at least acknowledge the cause and lessen the overall anxiety you have.

take alook at these hypnosis type audios - I think they are down towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.selfhelprecordings.com/exams-studying/

I also did a recorded webinar back in July that covered EMS exams, testing taking and anxiety. You can check that out as well at

http://emsbootcamp.com/archives.htm

Good luck

I would be very careful about hypnosis my dear. If you are not suggestible then it is a waste of time and money. If you are suggestible and are hypnotized, it may uncork crap from your subconscious that becomes a problem to deal with. You are left with test anxiety and weird crap coming out of your subconsciousness to boot.

Learn lots and lots of relaxation techniques. Remember to breathe! Do not focus on how many questions are in the test, etc. Focus on the one question in front of you, and if your heart is racing, your mind is confused, etc. then breathe.

AND .. never underestimate the power of better living through chemistry. See your doctor about anti-anxiety drugs.

Good luck.

A good night's sleep always helps me quite a bit. Also, spend some time practicing a bit of self affirmation. Repeatedly telling yourself that you are going to ace the exam might help build up some confidence. If your anxiety is really that bad, talk to your doctor about getting a small prescription for something like Xanax just to have around for situations where your anxiety gets the best of you.

Convince yourself that it is just a practice exam. Go in with the attitude that this is your chance to get familiar with the test process. That way you are not putting pressure on yourself. Get sleep and eat nice healthy light meal.

There's a lot of good suggestions here. Some I agree with, and some I don't. Here's my 'take' on the whole issue:

One of the 'big reasons' that people suffer from 'test anxiety' is that nagging little voice in the back of their minds saying stupid stuff like, "What if I can't remember the right answers?"

This leads to 'cramming' the night before the test, which actually ADDS to the anxiety; and only serves to get all the 'right answers' jumbled up in your head.

I was taught long ago that one of the better 'tricks' for taking tests was to not touch the books the night before. Resist the urge to 'give it a quick look' and which will lead to a 'cram session'.

As has been suggested before, take each question as it's presented. Don't try to 'figure out' what they're 'trying to ask'. Take each qestion 'as is'; all the information you need should be contained in the question.

If it's 'multiple guess' (multiple choice), read through the answers and automatically dismiss the obviously wrong answers. This narrows down the field of answers dramatically!

You don't plan a hike through the woods by figuring out how many steps you're going to take, so don't sweat the number of questions on the test. Just as you take that hike one step at a time, the test should be dealt with one question at a time.

Another suggestion that has been made before me.....have confidence in yourself. You didn't get to the position of taking that test by being 'dumb/stupid/etc'. If those terms actually applied, then you wouldn't be in a position to be tested on your knowledge. You would have 'washed out' of the course long before you got exposed to the upcoming test!

I disagree with the 'chemical enhancement' thought process. As we know about the effects of pharmacology, the drugs like Xanax tend to make us drowsy, apathetic etc. The narcotics tend to reduce the ability of organized mentation. (Why do you think it's sold on the streets?)

Relax! You've covered this material, you're obviously smart enough to reach the point of being tested... take a deep breath and knock it out!

Well just me .. forget the hypnosis stuff, take the time to study the test subject material instead, reviewing notes the night after the lecture is a good way to put info into long term memory, pass on any medications and keep caffeine to a minimum, agreed with LS don't cram, proven not to be effective and take the night off before any majors, hey dress up take time to look good and therefore feel good about yourself = confident.

A friend writing the Final Exams for Respiratory did that ... hey he walked in in a 3 piece suit NOT my cup of tea but catch the positive energy is all.

A positive attitude is TWTG ... I try to avoid classmates that you know are very up tight themselves and I always sit at the very front seat with some decent view of the outside world ... because its ONLY a test ..the real test comes when its for real.

Oh and RTFQ ... (Read the ****** Question) don't read into it, if its a multiple guess or K type eliminate right off the bat what you know is incorrect,as LS states hey I do not listen to the examiners I write all over the damn Exam Paper ..I paid my money to take the test ... they can print off another for the next Student.

cheers

Oh and RTFQ ... (Read the ****** Question) don't read into it, if its a multiple guess or K type eliminate right off the bat what you know is incorrect,as LS states hey I do not listen to the examiners I write all over the damn Exam Paper ..I paid my money to take the test ... they can print off another for the next Student.

cheers

It's good to see I'm not the only one who writes all over my exams. The last thing I care about when I'm writing an exam is saving trees!

Some might think it's silly, but going for a long workout the night before always helps me. I never study the night before. I find going out with some friends (make it an early night you still need a good sleep), and doing something completely non-related to the subject of the exam is very effective in reducing my stress levels. I'm a fairly low stress individual at the worst of times though, so what works for me might not help you at all.