D5W vs NS in D50 administration

sirduke

Which do you use?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Does your service use Normal Saline or D5W when administering D50

• Normal Saline
    • D5W
    • Lactated Ringers

I’ve never done a med push into an interstitial line myself but I certainly see your point. The biggest reason for using D10W versus D50W is the lower risk of tissue necrosis. No diabetic has papery thin easy to blow veins right? It’s easy to push syrup through a 22 isn’t it? A long time ago, way before my time, BC was actually considered progressive. Now we’ve slipped so far back we’re at least 10 years behind.

Only have to see one ... then chat with the lawyers as a witness ... not fun.

After the very informed posts from the BC guys ... I would almost have to disagree as of late, AB is falling behind for the PCP/EMT level ... was that my outside voice ?

AGAIN:

http://www.saveourparamedics.com/

Glucagon is in my SOP but I’ve never actually used it. So far, fingers crossed it stays that way, I’ve been able to gain IV access whenever I needed it in hypoglaecemic patients. I understand how it works and why it’s a good option. I’ve just haven’t had the opportunity to put it into practice yet. One important thing to remember with Glucagon is that giving a second 1mg SC or IM dose is extremely unlikely to have much if any effect if the first dose didn’t work. Glucagon essentially breaks down the bodies “emergency stores” (glycogen, the greatest portion of which is stored in the liver). This process (gluco-neogenesis) restores the patient’s blood glucose levels temporarily. If the first dose of glucagon is ineffective the patient’s glycogen stores are already depleted making further doses useless. I prefer not to use glucagon because it means I was able to restore a patient’s BGL without tapping into their emergency reserves.

Caught again ... dang and I said glucogenesis my bad ? smart ass PCP's.

Kaisu:

I did an IM glucagon on a brittle diabetic with bleeding from the dialysis port. Could not find a line. Glucagon worked very well.

Excellent point in fact I equate Glucagon to a rescue airway, dang nice to have options in cases like this ...

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.