Oral Boards

dystorteddream

Hey everybody. I've come to ask for a little advice.

I'm currently testing through to get on a full time department in Idaho. I took their written test, and received a 96 on it. Passed their physical agility test last week, and I have my oral board interview here in 2 days. There are two full time positions available, and the 17 that have been called back from the physical are the ones with EMS background/experience. Now one thing I know that'll help me out, is that i have actual field experience, whereas the majority of those with EMS "background" out here that have applied are either fresh out of school, or have had their cert/license but have not been affiliated with a department/company and not been on actual calls. So I see that as a bonus.

Anyhow. For those with fire background, what should I expect for my oral boards? There are going to be 3 officers for the oral board interview. I had an oral board interview with my current P.O.C. department, including questions of what are my goals for the short term/long term future, why do I believe I'd be a good member of the department, etc. I know that each department is different, but was wondering if anybody had any advice or tips for going into my oral boards on Thursday. Thanks in advance!

D~D

No way to know unless you find someone who sat through it before, who is willing to share. Best advice possible, is to think of every question that you would dread answering, or would not have an answer for, and then find the answer. Be honest, and dont get diarrhea of the mouth. Smile, look professional, and dont ask any questions that are about how the department would benefit you (pay workhours benefits).

"Tell us about yourself."

"Why do you want to be a firefighter?"

"Why this city/town?"

Those are the three I always got when I was trying to be a hose monkey. Some places, especially out West, are far more intense than that- asking tactics and strategy questions, ethical scenario questions, etc.

mobey is right, most companies have moved away from traditional yes or no questions, to questions that require you to think on the fly like:

Tell us about a time you had to:

work with a partner you couldnt stand

you made a patient care mistake

take charge to handle a difficult situation

make an improvement at work

break a policy or procedure at work

so on and so on

When I met the Review Board while testing for the Warren, MI Fire Department; some of the questions were as Crotchity stated.

How would you handle this situation (gives scenario)?

What would you say is the most important aspect of a Firefighter?

You're called to (insert scenario here), what is your order of actions?

Tell us about your biggest 'save'.

Why do you want to be a Firefighter?

Why do you want to be a Firefighter here?

Ultimately, when I met the Review Board, I was faced by high ranking officers (there were 5 members on the Board), and most of them had more experience than I had years on this earth. That can be daunting, but not insurmountable.

Remember to dress like a professional. This means suit and tie for the guys, appropriate buisness attire for the females. You're only going to get one shot at making that 'first impression', so make the most of it!

Most of the people that I saw when I had my appointment with the Review Board were dressed in jeans and t-shirts, shorts, etc.

The reason I didn't get hired in that cycle was because I didn't have any EMS education. That put me too far down the list to 'make the cut'. By the time the test cycle came around again, I was laid out with a cerebral aneurysm.

Remember, even if you dont 'make the cut' this time around; you've met the Review Board, they'll have an idea of your qualifications, experience and in general will have gotten your name out there. This meeting can work in your favor the next time you face the Review Board. (The experience won't hurt you either!)

Good luck, and let us know what happens!