Basic questions about EMS field

Here's another one - Physician Assistant - recently a Yahoo article talked about how it is a two year program! HA!!!!! Ha, I say.

I hope to go to a PA program some time in the future. But here is the reality: yes, it is a two year program. But first, you have to have about 2 to 3 years of prerequisites, and then you have to have PAID healthcare experience in most cases - some require 2000 hours minimum - and your grades better be EXCELLENT and you will be competing against a lot of other very well qualified people.

So when an article says that after a two year program, you can earn $75 an hour, they are really doing a dis-service to the field.

There are still a few PA programs in the country that will allow you to be one after just 2 years. However, for many programs it is a 2 year program after you have obtained a 4 year degree. Also, there are now post grad school programs for internships in some speciality for the PA. In FL, if you want the ability to write scripts, you need the Masters. U of F does have a great program. The experience is not always necessary as they state it is good to have a CNA or EMT cert if you do not hold a license in healthcare profession to earn some mone during school. You are correct in that it is very selective.

• Like 1

Also note that a two year PA program is different from other two year degrees. PA students are typically in class most days of the week, have very limited breaks, and do not have summer vacation like other college degrees. The typical PA program is in the neighborhood of 27 straight months long. Also remember, virtually all PA programs in the United States are graduate level programs. (Master Degree programs.) There are a couple of BS programs still around; however, this is rapidly changing. In fact, UNM in New Mexico had one of the few BS PA programs; however, as of this year it is now a MS program requiring an undergraduate (Four Year) degree prior to entry.

Take care,

chbare.

Edit: "the"

Edited by chbare
  • Like 1

Hey, good evening!

I saw your post and that you are local. If I may... definitely check out Lake-Sumter Emergency Medical Services (http://www.lakesumterems.org/). It really does not get any better and the service is non-fire based.

Cordially,

Don

You are so awesome for suggesting that! I will most definitely look into it!

There are still a few PA programs in the country that will allow you to be one after just 2 years. However, for many programs it is a 2 year program after you have obtained a 4 year degree. Also, there are now post grad school programs for internships in some speciality for the PA. In FL, if you want the ability to write scripts, you need the Masters. U of F does have a great program. The experience is not always necessary as they state it is good to have a CNA or EMT cert if you do not hold a license in healthcare profession to earn some mone during school. You are correct in that it is very selective.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to end up as a PA with a specialty in emergency medicine. However, I'm not even going to think about it for the next few years as I get my various science classes out of the way, get healthcare experience as either a CNA or EMT or both, etc. From what I gather, even if I COULD go to a PA program without health care experience, it's not a great idea and would be doing a disservice to my patients.

Nurse Practitioner is also a possibility. But again - years in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.