Basic questions about EMS field

Vent,

To be the best of my knowledge there is no "talk" of EMS/Fire Consolidation even within the next 5 yrs. There is only "talk" of fire consolidation. But I am watching the situation carefully.

Hey Flastudent.....if you send me a message please send it through forums PM. I don't have yahoo messenger anymore. Or email it to me.... thanks!!!!

Vent answered the rest of the questions better then I could..... she's got more info in that arena then I do.........

For the FD taking over EMS thing...... It's becoming the norm for the United States. Unless there is a strong EMS service with loads of public support, a private agency that can generate numerous profits, or a FD that cannot feasibly take over EMS..... those are the norm.

Well dang. That doesn't bode well for a paramedic career, does it? I am still going to get my EMT but that does give me food for thought about the paramedic degree.

Well technically for the paramedic career itself... its future is bright. As for a non-fire based paramedic working in the state of FL, its 50/50.....

My main motivation for getting an LPN is that it only takes a year, and I don't need pre-req's, so the hope would be that I'd get a job at a nursing home or LTC facility or hospice, while getting my pre-req's done, and then do the LPN to RN online bridge.

So you think I would be better off getting an RN degree BEFORE getting the paramedic?

Are most states doing the same thing - having the fire departments take over the ambulance services? That would make me think twice about paramedic because my goal is being in the medical field, not the firefighting field.

Without those prequisites you will be a lousy nurse and a lousy Paramedic. Neither should allowed without having college level A&P and Pharmacology.

As far as the online program, you will spend a lot of money only to have your application scrutinized. There are many new grad BSN RNs coming out of their traditional programs that have made great professional contacts during their clinicals to help them get decent jobs.

Taking shortcuts or settling for the least education will not advance your career or secure your future. Get an entry level job as a CNA, PCT or monitor tech at a hospital and let them pay for your education as an RN. You would be surprised at how supportive they can be.

Without those prequisites you will be a lousy nurse and a lousy Paramedic. Neither should allowed without having college level A&P and Pharmacology.

As far as the online program, you will spend a lot of money only to have your application scrutinized. There are many new grad BSN RNs coming out of their traditional programs that have made great professional contacts during their clinicals to help them get decent jobs.

Taking shortcuts or settling for the least education will not advance your career or secure your future. Get an entry level job as a CNA, PCT or monitor tech at a hospital and let them pay for your education as an RN. You would be surprised at how supportive they can be.

Yes, I certainly plan to take all of those courses. I am going to test for CNA in a couple of weeks. I have heard that hospitals only want people with experience, even CNAs, and with the job market these days they can pick and choose their candidates. I will apply at hospitals anyway, but if I don't get hired a hospital I can always do visiting CNA, long term care, hospice, etc. The more health care experience I get, the better.

The paramedic program and LPN program that I am looking at both have mini versions of A&P and pharmacology. I know it's not the same as college level. I am taking medical terminology now, and took A&P I, but that was years ago, so I need to retake.

I'm not settling for the least education, though - I'm just trying to figure out what, in this job market, will give me a reasonable chance of getting a healthcare job soon so I can at least work part time while in school, and so I can start getting healthcare experience and connections in the field soon too. Then once I do that, I will continue taking classes at community college.

Good to know about the online program. I'll look harder at the alternatives.

Hi, I have just finished reading alot of the replies and I am suprised no one mentioned NREMT. If you relocate to another state be sure to have taken the National Registry, most states take it. There are some states Florida being one that does not recognize the National Registry but many states will give you reciprocity if you are national, I know I have recieved reciprocity in many states. My husband is active duty so we move every couple of years. I am currently in South Carolina and here EMS is a seperate system in most counties, some cities are FF/EMS but most counties have EMS seperate. I have heard rumors of us needing FF creds but nothin has come of it yet. Right now the state is busy taking skills away from our basics and intermediates and possibly some medic skills as well....,but we shall see what happens later. Our pay here in the counties for basics start just above $9.00/hr for 911 and you can make more with a private service. Paramedic pay with 911 starts around $11.00/hr for new medics and higher if you have experience, private service can start around $12-14/hr debating on the private service. This is an estimate of the counties around Charleston, SC. I have researched some of Georgia's requirements and alot of the counties there are FF/EMS. Washington state, California and Texas all have some FF/EMS systems and EMS system it depends on the location in the state. You may see if you can do any ride-alongs with the city. We do that here occassionally so one can see if EMS is really for them or not. It never hurts to ask. Hope all this helps.

Hi, I have just finished reading alot of the replies and I am suprised no one mentioned NREMT. If you relocate to another state be sure to have taken the National Registry, most states take it. There are some states Florida being one that does not recognize the National Registry but many states will give you reciprocity if you are national, I know I have recieved reciprocity in many states. My husband is active duty so we move every couple of years. I am currently in South Carolina and here EMS is a seperate system in most counties, some cities are FF/EMS but most counties have EMS seperate. I have heard rumors of us needing FF creds but nothin has come of it yet. Right now the state is busy taking skills away from our basics and intermediates and possibly some medic skills as well....,but we shall see what happens later. Our pay here in the counties for basics start just above $9.00/hr for 911 and you can make more with a private service. Paramedic pay with 911 starts around $11.00/hr for new medics and higher if you have experience, private service can start around $12-14/hr debating on the private service. This is an estimate of the counties around Charleston, SC. I have researched some of Georgia's requirements and alot of the counties there are FF/EMS. Washington state, California and Texas all have some FF/EMS systems and EMS system it depends on the location in the state. You may see if you can do any ride-alongs with the city. We do that here occassionally so one can see if EMS is really for them or not. It never hurts to ask. Hope all this helps.

That is helpful! I get to do ridealongs with the EMT course that I'm taking - can't wait! And there is a county near me that has a volunteer ambulance service, so once I have EMT certification, I will do that too.

Eek - paramedics REALLY should get better pay for what they risk and for the responsibilities they have!!! So the pay you are quoting is Paramedic, not EMT?

Yes, I certainly plan to take all of those courses. I am going to test for CNA in a couple of weeks. I have heard that hospitals only want people with experience, even CNAs, and with the job market these days they can pick and choose their candidates. I will apply at hospitals anyway, but if I don't get hired a hospital I can always do visiting CNA, long term care, hospice, etc. The more health care experience I get, the better.

The paramedic program and LPN program that I am looking at both have mini versions of A&P and pharmacology. I know it's not the same as college level. I am taking medical terminology now, and took A&P I, but that was years ago, so I need to retake.

I'm not settling for the least education, though - I'm just trying to figure out what, in this job market, will give me a reasonable chance of getting a healthcare job soon so I can at least work part time while in school, and so I can start getting healthcare experience and connections in the field soon too. Then once I do that, I will continue taking classes at community college.

Good to know about the online program. I'll look harder at the alternatives.

You may have a very difficult time transitioning into an RN program with "mini" versions of courses. If your credits cannot transfer, getting into a college based nursing program will be nearly impossible. Then, you will find your self taking a year out of your life obtaining the pre-requisites. Best knock out your science, English, and humanities courses now, as any degree will require these core classes.

Take care,

chbare.

You may have a very difficult time transitioning into an RN program with "mini" versions of courses. If your credits cannot transfer, getting into a college based nursing program will be nearly impossible. Then, you will find your self taking a year out of your life obtaining the pre-requisites. Best knock out your science, English, and humanities courses now, as any degree will require these core classes.

Take care,

chbare.

Oh, I wasn't planning on applying to the RN program without getting the pre-req's done first. I have a B.A., and I've checked, I have all my English and humanities, but I have about a year's worth of science left.

One plan I was looking at, however, was - get a paramedic or LPN degree - and then work while getting my pre-rq's - and work while I do the LPN to RN bridge program or paramedic to RN bridge program.

That is helpful! I get to do ridealongs with the EMT course that I'm taking - can't wait! And there is a county near me that has a volunteer ambulance service, so once I have EMT certification, I will do that too.

Eek - paramedics REALLY should get better pay for what they risk and for the responsibilities they have!!! So the pay you are quoting is Paramedic, not EMT?

I don't know what the pay runs down there maybe vent or the other guys can give u a pay range.

The basic start around $9/hr county n private maybe a little more.

The medics start around $11/hr county n private $13/hr. remember that our shifts are usually 24 hrs on and 48 off so there is overtime involved too.

Now the pay in Houston, TX is better than here in Charleston SC. California and Washington was about $8.50/hr as basics even with some experience. i kknow we dont make much for what we have to spend to stay certified but most of us will tell you that we don't do it for the money, its what we want to do and most of us like/love our jobs.

Be Safe

Oh, I wasn't planning on applying to the RN program without getting the pre-req's done first. I have a B.A., and I've checked, I have all my English and humanities, but I have about a year's worth of science left.

One plan I was looking at, however, was - get a paramedic or LPN degree - and then work while getting my pre-rq's - and work while I do the LPN to RN bridge program or paramedic to RN bridge program.

As an LPN in this state, you will be making about the same as an EMT-B or maybe a couple dollars more. The Paramedic doesn't pay much better for the reasons you have chosen it instead of the RN. The education requirements are not there.

Have you looked at the universities to see what it will take to get a BSN as a second Bachelor degree? Don't waste time with routes that will actually extend what you must take. Do the quality college level classes and not abbreviated mini courses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.