Basic questions about EMS field

As a currently enrolled student at Brevard Comm College, I can assure you Biology is required; same for Seminole and Lake Sumter Community College.

Be sure to read the college information clearly, for example, while the nursing program may only list AnP I and II and Micro as pre reqs, the college itself will have biology as pre reqs for those courses....thereby making Bio a requirement for nursing.

Since you already hold a bachelors, look at this option...

http://www.mdc.edu/MEDICAL/Nursing/rn_accelerated.asp

I would definitely be interested in an accelerated bsn - heck, one year to a BSN would be AWESOME - although I do worry about how competitive those programs are. Tons of people applying for limited seats. I guess I could just apply to all of them in Florida and see where I get accepted. My current grades are all A's; back when I got my B.A. in Journalism my GPA was horrible, like a C average. Hopefully they would look at my current science & math classes, see that I now get all A's, and I could plead my case.

Are you going for the BSN yourself?

...the face of education has changed so drastically...many high school graduates are in fact barely literate...the sad reality of modern life...is that current high school graduates are ...woefully underprepared for ...adventures beyond tenth grade.

"Young people" today scare the shit out of me and I was a product of the eighties; so what does THAT tell you?

With that, I suspect people who do well in high school chemistry and biology need not take a general biology class in order to gain entry into a college level A&P course. However, the face of education has changed so drastically in this country, many high school graduates are in fact barely literate when it comes to rudimentary understanding of the sciences, let alone calculating how many protons and electrons an atom has by looking at the atomic number. ( An incredibly simple concept by most standards.)

Therefore, I find many people in fact spend a couple of semesters in college filling in gaps that should have been sorted during high school. Furthermore, Dust I would agree with your assessment in the years past; however, the sad reality of modern life in the United States, is that current high school graduates are entering college woefully underprepared for academic adventures beyond tenth grade.

I suspect your assessment is right on. That's the only explanation that makes sense. Amazing how drastically the face of education has changed in the last ten years. I know that by the time Vivi finished her ADN, she had nearly enough hours for a BS because of all prerequisites and add-ons that are thrown into the programme these days. Who knows... maybe it's a back door attempt to eliminate the ADN by making it so long that it's irrelevant.

I suspect your assessment is right on. That's the only explanation that makes sense. Amazing how drastically the face of education has changed in the last ten years. I know that by the time Vivi finished her ADN, she had nearly enough hours for a BS because of all prerequisites and add-ons that are thrown into the programme these days. Who knows... maybe it's a back door attempt to eliminate the ADN by making it so long that it's irrelevant.

The "two-year associates in nursing" is a myth. There are at least two years of pre-requisites BEFORE you can apply, at least with all of the two year programs that I checked. And that's not necessarily a bad thing; I'd rather have a better educated nurse. I would not like it if someone with a high school diploma could go to school for two more years and become an RN.

And most of the pre-req's make sense. I'm not crazy about having to take developmental psychology, but whatever. A&P I & II, biology, nutrition...not bad things to know as a nurse.

It's just a drag for me, in my mid-40s, to have to take all these courses and completely reinvent myself after decades in the journalism field. But what can you do - I can sit here and cry about it while going broke, or I can go take the classes I need and get a job.

• Like 1

The "two-year associates in nursing" is a myth. There are at least two years of pre-requisites BEFORE you can apply, at least with all of the two year programs that I checked. And that's not necessarily a bad thing; I'd rather have a better educated nurse. I would not like it if someone with a high school diploma could go to school for two more years and become an RN.

And most of the pre-req's make sense. I'm not crazy about having to take developmental psychology, but whatever. A&P I & II, biology, nutrition...not bad things to know as a nurse.

It's just a drag for me, in my mid-40s, to have to take all these courses and completely reinvent myself after decades in the journalism field. But what can you do - I can sit here and cry about it while going broke, or I can go take the classes I need and get a job.

Let's have a look at the world of education, health care and business.

I don't trust an accountant with less than a Masters or 6 years of college to do my taxes. The guy who did some welding for my boat trailer had a tech cert and then got a 2 year degree in welding at the community college. The guy who maintains my boat engine has a 2 year degree in engine repair as well as a B.A. in business.

What type of job is an accounting major going to get before finishing at least 4 and probably all 6 years of college? Store clerk at the college bookstore? Yet, they know that is what it takes to secure their career and future.

I got my feathers a little ruffled when I saw this on Yahoo! last week.

Surprising Jobs that Pay $25 an Hour

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-surprising_jobs_that_pay_25_an_hour-983

Respiratory Therapist

Breathe easy. Depending on the employer, many a respiratory therapist can land a job with as little as a two-year degree. More often, however, hospitals are looking for a bachelor's or master's degree to advance in the profession. All states require licensing. Job openings are projected to grow by 19 percent from 2006-2016. In 2008, respiratory therapists earned $25.55 an hour.

This was probably written by somebody who has a 4 year degree in Journalism and maybe a Masters in this competitive market. $25 is also about the entry level wage for an RRT in the South.

Do you know how many health care professions still only require a 2 year degree? The list is getting smaller. The RN is now in the Bachelor's degree preferred status as is Respiratory Therapy. Radiology is also looking to soon raise their requirements to the Bachelor's degree. The other allied health professions already have the Bachelor's degree requirement with many at Masters. That includes OT, ST, SLP and Recreational Therapy. Physician's Assistant is going Masters degree. Physical Therapy has a Doctorate. Nurse Practitioner will soon require a Doctorate (2012?). Excercise Physiologists have a Masters dgree. Athletic Trainers have no less than a Bachelor's degree with Masters preferred.

It is amazing that RN and RT still require "as little as a two year degree". Yes, RT has the same 1+ years of prerequisites as do the other health care professions to gain entry into the "two year" program which is why it made sense for the others to go with a 4 year degree that included the prerequisites and give a degree that is worthy of that profession.

Wasting time on a cert like LVN when you already have a degree of higher education is not practical in today's competitive job market. While you have maturity on your side, you will still be competing with youngsters who are eager, greedy and from the "me now" generation.

It is also strange that many of us in EMS do have our financial matters, cars, boats and even our haircuts done by people who have way more education and training than the Paramedic but some still complain about the "long" length of that program. Somehow EMS manages to justify its length just as the LVN/LPN continues to attempt to stay around. But, the LVN/LPNs know the writing is already on the wall for their extinction which is the real purpose of the transition programs. They are getting the LVN/LPN pulled through so they aren't left behind.

Edited by VentMedic

The "two-year associates in nursing" is a myth.

The fact that you recognise that so early into your quest speaks well of your powers of perception. It's hard to convince people of that. They read the CC catalogues and think it looks so quick and easy. Then more than half of them never even get accepted to a program, much less graduate. I agree completely with you. Given the financial capability, there is rarely any good reason to go straight for an ADN anymore.

NEVER underestimate psychology. It is the one and only discipline that you will use with EVERY patient you ever encounter. It explains their behaviour, which allows you to tailor your therapeutics to best suit them. Once you are taking care of patients, you will understand exactly what I'm saying. All healthcare professionals should get even more psych than is currently required.

I was thirty-seven and already had a double bachelor degree when I finished nursing school. And I was one of the younger people in my class! Most were second career degree holders and empty-nest moms older than myself. Made it nice, actually, being in that environment with people who had a little life experience and maturity under their belts, and not a bunch of know-it-all, out to change the world 19 year olds. You'll do well.

The fact that you recognise that so early into your quest speaks well of your powers of perception. It's hard to convince people of that. They read the CC catalogues and think it looks so quick and easy. Then more than half of them never even get accepted to a program, much less graduate. I agree completely with you. Given the financial capability, there is rarely any good reason to go straight for an ADN anymore.

NEVER underestimate psychology. It is the one and only discipline that you will use with EVERY patient you ever encounter. It explains their behaviour, which allows you to tailor your therapeutics to best suit them. Once you are taking care of patients, you will understand exactly what I'm saying. All healthcare professionals should get even more psych than is currently required.

I was thirty-seven and already had a double bachelor degree when I finished nursing school. And I was one of the younger people in my class! Most were second career degree holders and empty-nest moms older than myself. Made it nice, actually, being in that environment with people who had a little life experience and maturity under their belts, and not a bunch of know-it-all, out to change the world 19 year olds. You'll do well.

I would rather take a different psychology class than developmental psychology, that's all. Developmental psych involves a lot of memorization of the early-childhood theories of Freud and Jung - Oedipus complex, anyone? - and I'm not entirely convinced that it will help me with emergency medicine. It's probably helpful in other fields of medicine.

I am LOVING my medical terminology class, though. I find it fascinating. I am going to go study pee now. Or rather, the kidneys and urinary bladder. Quick, who knows what a Bowman Capsule is?

Developmental Psych isn't just about kids. It is about the entire lifespan and the learning process. It helps you to understand how different people learn and comprehend things at different stages of their lives. It applies to each and every patient you will ever encounter, as well as their family, who you must also deal with. Let's not forget that not all patients are adults, and not all adults are functioning on an adult level. If you don't clearly understand the psychological differences between the two, your ability to communicate -- which is the most important of all medical skills -- is compromised. Being a mom helps, because you'll be able to relate the theories to things you have seen in your own children. But again, there's a lot more to it than just children.

Here's another one - Physician Assistant - recently a Yahoo article talked about how it is a two year program! HA!!!!! Ha, I say.

I hope to go to a PA program some time in the future. But here is the reality: yes, it is a two year program. But first, you have to have about 2 to 3 years of prerequisites, and then you have to have PAID healthcare experience in most cases - some require 2000 hours minimum - and your grades better be EXCELLENT and you will be competing against a lot of other very well qualified people.

So when an article says that after a two year program, you can earn $75 an hour, they are really doing a dis-service to the field.

Let's have a look at the world of education, health care and business.

I don't trust an accountant with less than a Masters or 6 years of college to do my taxes. The guy who did some welding for my boat trailer had a tech cert and then got a 2 year degree in welding at the community college. The guy who maintains my boat engine has a 2 year degree in engine repair as well as a B.A. in business.

What type of job is an accounting major going to get before finishing at least 4 and probably all 6 years of college? Store clerk at the college bookstore? Yet, they know that is what it takes to secure their career and future.

I got my feathers a little ruffled when I saw this on Yahoo! last week.

Surprising Jobs that Pay $25 an Hour

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-surprising_jobs_that_pay_25_an_hour-983

Respiratory Therapist

Breathe easy. Depending on the employer, many a respiratory therapist can land a job with as little as a two-year degree. More often, however, hospitals are looking for a bachelor's or master's degree to advance in the profession. All states require licensing. Job openings are projected to grow by 19 percent from 2006-2016. In 2008, respiratory therapists earned $25.55 an hour.

This was probably written by somebody who has a 4 year degree in Journalism and maybe a Masters in this competitive market. $25 is also about the entry level wage for an RRT in the South.

Do you know how many health care professions still only require a 2 year degree? The list is getting smaller. The RN is now in the Bachelor's degree preferred status as is Respiratory Therapy. Radiology is also looking to soon raise their requirements to the Bachelor's degree. The other allied health professions already have the Bachelor's degree requirement with many at Masters. That includes OT, ST, SLP and Recreational Therapy. Physician's Assistant is going Masters degree. Physical Therapy has a Doctorate. Nurse Practitioner will soon require a Doctorate (2012?). Excercise Physiologists have a Masters dgree. Athletic Trainers have no less than a Bachelor's degree with Masters preferred.

It is amazing that RN and RT still require "as little as a two year degree". Yes, RT has the same 1+ years of prerequisites as do the other health care professions to gain entry into the "two year" program which is why it made sense for the others to go with a 4 year degree that included the prerequisites and give a degree that is worthy of that profession.

Wasting time on a cert like LVN when you already have a degree of higher education is not practical in today's competitive job market. While you have maturity on your side, you will still be competing with youngsters who are eager, greedy and from the "me now" generation.

It is also strange that many of us in EMS do have our financial matters, cars, boats and even our haircuts done by people who have way more education and training than the Paramedic but some still complain about the "long" length of that program. Somehow EMS manages to justify its length just as the LVN/LPN continues to attempt to stay around. But, the LVN/LPNs know the writing is already on the wall for their extinction which is the real purpose of the transition programs. They are getting the LVN/LPN pulled through so they aren't left behind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.