Is a Patient aloud to refuse treatment or offer of Transport?

EMT Fan15

Why? Do you really believe you are qualified at 15 with medical professionals about your medical needs? Do you believe your parents do not know what is best for you? What are going going to say when you go to court? Bash your parents as incompetents?

Sounds to me like s/he's just another whiny teenager who thinks they know everything.

Let's not forget the first kid to ever "divorce" her parents ultimately went back.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, did you really have the right to refuse transport?

I'm thinking that there is more to this question and post than meets the eye.

As a minor, you really don't have the right to refuse transport but you do have the right to refuse treatment.

Your parents are really the only ones who can say no to transport, they are your parents/guardians and what they say goes.

But you do have the right to refuse treatment such as IV's and Medications. Parents can overrule that but I'd be hard pressed to force an IV or a medication on someone of any age. Caveat here - if it's a infant or toddler they can't really make a informed decision on medicatoins or IV's but someone 15 would have a huge part in saying what kind of treatment they receive.

So what's the real background on this question? Did you get transported to the hospital when you didn't want to?

Nothing. I drive around alot with friends, and sometimes they will get a little careless while on the road- And Winter is crawling over to New Jersey slowly, and aswell as that, most my friends are older then me, and may sometimes get drunk, while I'm over there, and they may end up being too careless with me. So, I just wanted to know weater as a Patient, if we'd be aloud to refuse treatment, or transport.

You could always take legal proceedings and become an Emancipated Minor.

Hell no. No thank you, I'm staying a vergin. :3

Having your own insurance cards makes no difference... You're a minor---you go to the ER unless your parent or guardian says no. But really I'm with Ruff on this... you've come on here for medical advice for a cold and now you're questioning about this...what's really going on???

Nothing is going on. My friends are careless when driving on ice, or are drunk, and throw me around too carelessly- considering I'm about 80 pounds, 4'10 4'9

Why? Do you really believe you are qualified at 15 with medical professionals about your medical needs? Do you believe your parents do not know what is best for you? What are going going to say when you go to court? Bash your parents as incompetents?

Lets just say, I need it incase of emergencies, I drive around with friends just about 24-7, and sometimes they have road rage, or drinking problems- I just wanted to kno just in case anything happened. And I do believe my parents know whats good for me, i never said they weren't, my mother lives 40 minutes away from me, and my father works alot. My brother is never home, and doesn't even try to bond with me. And I am not going to Court. And no, I would never- asmuch as I hate mom's boyfriend, I'd never do that to her. -My parents are Divorced, have been for a nice portion of my life, since I was six.

Ok what about a MVA victim with a significant MOI accepts transport but refuses to be immobilized appropriately (backboarded ect.)? Oh yes and they are A&O x 4.

After explaining any and all possible bad outcomes for refusing immobilization, and having this bolstered by your On Line Medical Control Doctor speaking to them, a field supervisor doing likewise, and hopefully with further backing by a LEO supervisor, if the patient still refuses immobilization, GET A SIGNATURE ON THE CALL REPORT FROM THE PATIENT that they accept whatever the explained risks of not being immobilized. Then, as many have said on this site before, and will say again in the future, "document, Document, DOCUMENT" everything you can of the patient's condition, the explanations of bad outcome, and their responses to the explanations.

Even having done all this, there is always the possibility the patient, or the patient's family, suing your service, and you. The documentation from your call report, should this come to pass, will be your best friend in your defense.

ok, first off you need to find better friends. You getting into a car with them drunk just shows how immature you are.

do you not know what the risks of getting in a car with a drunk driver are? Most of the time you will be the one hurt bad because many drunks seem to bounce around in the car and those who are not drunk are often injured worse.

Driving with your friends sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I think you need better friends.

ok, first off you need to find better friends. You getting into a car with them drunk just shows how immature you are.

do you not know what the risks of getting in a car with a drunk driver are? Most of the time you will be the one hurt bad because many drunks seem to bounce around in the car and those who are not drunk are often injured worse.

Driving with your friends sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I think you need better friends.

Bingo. In order to demonstrate the maturity of an adult, you need to act like one and start making good choices. If you recognize that you are being put in dangerous situations with your friends, then you really have a few choices- ignore it and take your chances with those kids, or do something about it. You can certainly attempt to be the voice of reason and explain the possible consequences of their reckless behavior to your friends. Problem is, like most teens, they feel bullet proof, immortal, and immune from bad things- that stuff always happens to other people, not them. They hear the stories about horrible accidents, but they think it will never happen to them.

You may not be able to change your "friends" but YOU can make a mature decision and take yourself out of a dangerous situation.

Throw yourself into school, a hobby, EMS- whatever, and you will find true friends to replace the ones who may very well cost you your life.

You really need to just grow up and mature a lot of you want to be in this field. Having lost people I love dearly because of alcohol related car accidents and being in one myself when I was your age.... you will die or get hurt. It's not an if it's a when if you're participating in this risky behavior. It's something I take very personally as it has affected my family and I deeply. If you get in a car with someone who is under the influence...you might as well play Russian roulette because you will get hurt eventually. And really if you're in a crash like that... you'd be very lucky to even know what happened let alone refuse care.

Nothing. I drive around alot with friends, and sometimes they will get a little careless while on the road- And Winter is crawling over to New Jersey slowly, and aswell as that, most my friends are older then me, and may sometimes get drunk, while I'm over there, and they may end up being too careless with me. So, I just wanted to know weater as a Patient, if we'd be aloud to refuse treatment, or transport.

Hell no. No thank you, I'm staying a vergin. :3

Nothing is going on. My friends are careless when driving on ice, or are drunk, and throw me around too carelessly- considering I'm about 80 pounds, 4'10 4'9

Lets just say, I need it incase of emergencies, I drive around with friends just about 24-7, and sometimes they have road rage, or drinking problems- I just wanted to kno just in case anything happened. And I do believe my parents know whats good for me, i never said they weren't, my mother lives 40 minutes away from me, and my father works alot. My brother is never home, and doesn't even try to bond with me. And I am not going to Court. And no, I would never- asmuch as I hate mom's boyfriend, I'd never do that to her. -My parents are Divorced, have been for a nice portion of my life, since I was six.

Ya know, is anyone else getting a 'vibe' about this poster. I mean, are todays children this stupid? Driving around with drunk friends, getting hit by friends, looking for attention from EMS workers. I'm gonna call 'attention freak' on this one. Is this really worth our time?

EMT Fan 15, if you are for real. Go find some parents. EMTCity is not going to fix your problems.

Ya know, is anyone else getting a 'vibe' about this poster. I mean, are todays children this stupid? Driving around with drunk friends, getting hit by friends, looking for attention from EMS workers. I'm gonna call 'attention freak' on this one. Is this really worth our time?

EMT Fan 15, if you are for real. Go find some parents. EMTCity is not going to fix your problems.

Matt, I'm sorry to say but some of today's kids are that stupid.

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt here, is she a stupid teenager or is she just immature? I'm guessing the 2nd one.

I'd like to hear from her again but I'm thinking she's not going to post again.

I'd like to hear from her again but I'm thinking she's not going to post again.

This is not the first post on this forum as the other thread was for medical advice. In the short time she has been on the EMS forums we have gotten to know way too much about her life and I really hope there is someone in her life that she can trust for some guidiance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.