Large Pateint, No Elevator

joesph

Having the FD carry the patient doesn't mean you fail to treat the patient. While waiting for the FD to arrive how about a full set of vitals(BGL too while we're at it) , Pt history, medications, 12-lead if available, last ins and outs, IV access if possible (not always an easy task with our larger clients), medical conditions, patients last activities prior to arrival... The usual work up. Unless the FD shows up with you there should be time to gather the information mentioned and have a working diagnosis while they are on the way.

The FAIL was meant for the OP.

See the 1st reply (kiwimedic), was never answered.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is that the end of the scenario?

Call the FD to help with a bariatric pt?......

Scenario FAIL

Didn't plan it that way but we seem to have gotten focused on shall we say the gravity of the situation. but please lets get back to the medical.

Starting any interventions upstairs is probably going to make things more complicated for you. The patient is not presenting in a "Not gonna make it to the bus" way, So I would vote for immediate removal to the truck. Stair chair and a few hearty souls. If I was there with my normal Saturday partner... We do it ourselves (we are big boys). With anyone else... get two people on one end, and me on the other. I don't like 4 point lifts. It causes more movement, and is a communication nightmare. If we all happen to be different heights.... well it can be disastrous. As few people as it takes to get the job done safely.

When you start intervention up stairs you are adding variables to egress that may complicate things. IV lines need to be secured, O2 bottles and lines as well. Why add more things that can go wrong when the patient will make it to the rig without it? If you determine these interventions will save their lives before we are able to get them down-stairs... then by all means. This one doesn't appear that way. Get 'em in the truck, and work 'em up on the way to the hospital.

Starting any interventions upstairs is probably going to make things more complicated for you. The patient is not presenting in a "Not gonna make it to the bus" way, So I would vote for immediate removal to the truck. Stair chair and a few hearty souls. If I was there with my normal Saturday partner... We do it ourselves (we are big boys). With anyone else... get two people on one end, and me on the other. I don't like 4 point lifts. It causes more movement, and is a communication nightmare. If we all happen to be different heights.... well it can be disastrous. As few people as it takes to get the job done safely.

When you start intervention up stairs you are adding variables to egress that may complicate things. IV lines need to be secured, O2 bottles and lines as well. Why add more things that can go wrong when the patient will make it to the rig without it? If you determine these interventions will save their lives before we are able to get them down-stairs... then by all means. This one doesn't appear that way. Get 'em in the truck, and work 'em up on the way to the hospital.

I agree with using the lowest number of people needed to do the job safely. Having too many people bumbling around can easily make the lift more dangerous. I use saline locks all the time so ditching the bag and dripset while maintaining IV access is a non-issue for me. As for O2 If the patient needs it they get it otherwise I'm not trying to pack the patient and an O2 bottle all at once. In my area we typically make it to calls before the FD so there is time to begin treatment prior the their arrival.