Large Pateint, No Elevator

joesph

how did we put on so much weight we were at 400 and suddenly we were at 620. Must be retaining water.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly we just call for the good ole FD and they usually handle the moving of the patient while the medic sees to the care of the patient ;)

We also only have one bariatric truck for the entire county. Reinforced suspension, bariatric (manual) striker, ramps, and winch. It's just a shame that it's broken down 70% of the time :P

oh so we do need the fire department

Of course we need the fire department. Who else will carry the stairchair and patient for me up and down stairs. Who else would I call to carry the heavy ones. I'm just saying, they have a purpose.

oh so we do need the fire department

Not really... we just need 2-6 relatively strong people to follow the ambulance to the scene, carry the bags, and occasionally help lift the bariatric patients. I don't see why that needs to be the Fire Department at all... but I suppose since there aren't a lot of actual Fires to fight... they need SOMETHING to do. I bet we could get some guys from the local gym to come out and help lift for a lot less money than a full-time fire department salary costs us... and they would be providing the same service... only they would probably do it better. :P

Not really... we just need 2-6 relatively strong people to follow the ambulance to the scene, carry the bags, and occasionally help lift the bariatric patients. I don't see why that needs to be the Fire Department at all... but I suppose since there aren't a lot of actual Fires to fight... they need SOMETHING to do. I bet we could get some guys from the local gym to come out and help lift for a lot less money than a full-time fire department salary costs us... and they would be providing the same service... only they would probably do it better. :P

Ouch spank you my I have another

I nominate this for best post of the thread. In all seriousness it would be my plan to call the fire department aswell. For the really rotund paitient I would dig out the "Manta Mat" (a tarp with handles for carrying the big-uns).

Of course we need the fire department. Who else will carry the stairchair and patient for me up and down stairs. Who else would I call to carry the heavy ones. I'm just saying, they have a purpose.

Wow...I seriously hope you're kidding. We have fire respond to all of our calls, but even at 5' tall and 125 lbs, I still lump all of our bags, equipment, cot and yes stair chair. (Our stair chair has a weight limit of 350lbs) If the patient is a little heavier than what I'm capable of handling, then yes, I do ask for help.

It's not their job to do our heavy work, rather assist us when needed. I worked for years in a rural setting where we had only volunteer fire guys and they weren't available during they day, so we did it all.

Unfortunately, it's attitudes like that that create hostility between the two services.

So is that the end of the scenario?

Call the FD to help with a bariatric pt?......

Scenario FAIL

Having the FD carry the patient doesn't mean you fail to treat the patient. While waiting for the FD to arrive how about a full set of vitals(BGL too while we're at it) , Pt history, medications, 12-lead if available, last ins and outs, IV access if possible (not always an easy task with our larger clients), medical conditions, patients last activities prior to arrival... The usual work up. Unless the FD shows up with you there should be time to gather the information mentioned and have a working diagnosis while they are on the way.