Civlian "rescues"

I was recently told by a security guard of how he had just pulled a man from a wreckage. Apparently a semi in front of him tip on its side, and he apparently wasted no time along with others near by to pull the man out. When I asked him why he pulled the man out he stated that there was gasoline and oil everywhere. The patient was alert and conscious. This happen is a big city (Kansas City, MO) so rescue vehicles are not far out. It appears from what little description I got that the man was probably in little chance of further injury or of the gasoline and oil catching on fire or anything.

My question to you is what is your opinion on "rescues" made daily by the untrained civilians?

It sounds to me that this patient could of been left in the vehicle until rescuers arrive and remove the patient with c-spine precaution in place. When the untrained person removes a patient they would make any spinal injury worse. Now mind you if there is an immediate danger than c-spine precaution is thrown out and the patient is removed quickly. However I'm not sure I would put myself in direct danger in a rescue attempt. At least as a firefighter you have some protective equipment, training, experience, and trained help. The civilian has none of this giving them even a higher potential to become another patient. This is probably a case by case thing where you must personally evaluate the risk and benefits of the current situation.

There is a lot to consider in this case and I will not form my own opinion due to a lack of information of the scene, I will tell you this reminds me of a 2004 rescue in which the friend of a female did a very similar action and ended up causing the patient to become a paraplegic.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6498405&page=1

Which is better, action or no action?

Edited by COWSskateGOOD

People will do just about anything in times of crisis sometimes helpful sometimes not. The incident of lawsuits is affecting 'good Samaritans' acts and I don't think its for the best, when people no longer will help a stranger in need the country will be a sadder place.

I think I have only seen 2 out of every 100 vehicle accidents where the incident became a "flamer" wreck, career-wise.

However, Hollywood depictions always show the car exploding, for the raised dramatic effect.

I'll not be taking the time to refer to the discussion on that, somewhere on the site.

Due to that Hollywood image, the common John Q Public believes that the crash is supposed to become a flamer, and might act, out of concern of the false impending disaster.

I was told of one woman in a car accident, pulled out by a CB Radio based "Rescue" service, circa 1975.

If you're saying to yourselves, "I bet they had no training", you'd be absolutely correct (Tell them what they won, Johnny).

No backboard, either short or long. The KED and Iron Duck Immobilization Devices hadn't been invented yet. No C-collar. No immobilization stuff, or understanding they should have used some.

Nope.

Just yank her out of the drivers door window, let her head flop around, as you lay her down on the street, followed by her neck being flexed as they shoved a rolled up jacket under her neck as a pillow.

I am told they practically were looking at my guys like a puppy expecting a treat for a trick.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a perfect example of why one has to use the call report to

document, Document, DOCUMENT
everything you saw, and everything you did, as protection from the injured person's lawsuit you know is going to follow. This should show proof these yahoos did the errors on their time, not yours, and should include what you did correctly for treating the patient's car accident injuries, and the injuries sustained from these untrained persons who have, other than geographic similarities, no connection with your EMS operations whatsoever.

(We were sued, but the documentation saved our collective butts, while the Rescue service was shut down.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.