Pay in North Carolina EMS

domino22

Bottom line, is it possible to make 75k + a year as a medic in North Carolina with overtime if starting at the top of the pay scale based on experience in some areas? My wife would like to stay home with the kids.

Thanks,

TBS

Bottom line, is it possible to make 75k + a year as a medic in North Carolina with overtime if starting at the top of the pay scale based on experience in some areas? My wife would like to stay home with the kids.

Thanks,

TBS

Anything is possible.

Your definition of overtime is loose at best, I know medics locally in NYC who make 165K a year but they work 4 jobs and 120-130 hours a week (and we're a posted ambulance on a street corner not fire based no down time, not supposed to sleep while in the ambulance either.) .. Are you talking that type of overtime ? Or are you talking pulling 1 extra shift every other week?

Salary.com information on Medic Salary for charlotte NC

IT estimates a net of approximately 1055 bi weekly.

Anything is possible.

Your definition of overtime is loose at best, I know medics locally in NYC who make 165K a year but they work 4 jobs and 120-130 hours a week (and we're a posted ambulance on a street corner not fire based no down time, not supposed to sleep while in the ambulance either.) .. Are you talking that type of overtime ? Or are you talking pulling 1 extra shift every other week?

Salary.com information on Medic Salary for charlotte NC

IT estimates a net of approximately 1055 bi weekly.

Thanks for the reply. To be more specific, on a hypothetical basis, let's say on 24's 7 shifts every 2 weeks, and if on 10's or 12's, 2 extra shifts a week.

Thanks,

TBS

Thanks for the reply. To be more specific, on a hypothetical basis, let's say on 24's 7 shifts every 2 weeks, and if on 10's or 12's, 2 extra shifts a week.

Thanks,

TBS

On your 24's That would work out to somewhere near 62K take home.

Roughly.

You have to factor all costs in and not just hourly/yearly wage. For instance, you can easily make $70k in California or Hawaii, but a 2 bedroom shack will cost you 1/2 a million dollars, and all other costs will be higher: taxes, groceries, etc... Typically, the cost of living in the south is much cheaper, so you have to consider that in your thinking. I know that North Carolina used to have a large volunteer base in their EMS industry, so it wouldnt surprise me if wages are supressed. I have a friend who works in Atlanta, and he claims there are atleast two employers who start medics in the low 50s to high 60s as their base pay, so obviously overtime would easily put you over 70.

Second piece of advice : Dont work EMS jobs for 80-100 hours per week. You could get a job providing sex to supermodels, but if you did it 100 hours per week, you would get tired of it. Same is true for EMS. Look for something different on your off days, even if it is still medical (ER tech).

You have to factor all costs in and not just hourly/yearly wage. For instance, you can easily make $70k in California or Hawaii, but a 2 bedroom shack will cost you 1/2 a million dollars, and all other costs will be higher: taxes, groceries, etc... Typically, the cost of living in the south is much cheaper, so you have to consider that in your thinking. I know that North Carolina used to have a large volunteer base in their EMS industry, so it wouldnt surprise me if wages are supressed. I have a friend who works in Atlanta, and he claims there are atleast two employers who start medics in the low 50s to high 60s as their base pay, so obviously overtime would easily put you over 70.

Second piece of advice : Dont work EMS jobs for 80-100 hours per week. You could get a job providing sex to supermodels, but if you did it 100 hours per week, you would get tired of it. Same is true for EMS. Look for something different on your off days, even if it is still medical (ER tech).

I've spoken with a few human resources reps, and looked at the different pay scales on the different postings, but usually that is not representative of what is actually being made whether be it higher or lower. For instance, on my benefits package it states I make 45k a year when in reality with the inherent overtime plus additional shifts, I make well over that. So I was just trying to get to the "down and dirty" from a medic on a box as to what their actual paychecks are like.

Thanks again,

TBS

Thanks,

TBS

EMS administrators around here make that kind of money. Most paying paramedic pay is between $28,000-$46,000, with the majority of persons making between $30,000-$40,000.

http://news.ncems.org/employment.htm

Check the site out.

Now, some people, to make $60,000, will work two full time jobs. Most people will work two jobs that have a 24/72 hour schedule. They will end up working every other day.

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

TBS

Doubt it. One of our medics was there when he came back from Iraq. His new wife was from there. Marriage tanked and he headed back west. He said he was making 10 dollars an hour in a busy 911 system. I work an extra 12 hours maybe every other pay period. (26 pay periods) I'll bust 75 k this year.Cost of living is higher in Raleigh/Durham than here, from what my friend tells me.

Doubt it. One of our medics was there when he came back from Iraq. His new wife was from there. Marriage tanked and he headed back west. He said he was making 10 dollars an hour in a busy 911 system. I work an extra 12 hours maybe every other pay period. (26 pay periods) I'll bust 75 k this year.Cost of living is higher in Raleigh/Durham than here, from what my friend tells me.

Where exactly is here? Paramedics in Raleigh/Durham make more than $10 an hour.