No Dust you did make such a comparison.

CONTENT REMOVED - ADMIN

Edited by EMT City Administrator

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CONTENT REMOVED - ADMIN

The media always tells me that the Canadians are our kinder, gentler, neighbors to the North. They are not supposed to be snarling, rabid, attack dogs who are ready to mis-interpret everything you say. It is clear that this strike is not going well, and is not being handled well by the union. Get mad at your own leadership for sucking... not us gluttonous Americans for pointing it out. Nobody gets their panties in a bunch when the US system gets attacked... because we know it works like shyte.

CONTENT REMOVED - ADMIN

Dust thats the advantage to having a Union when your an employee of the state/province .. You are not forced to CONTENT REMOVED - ADMIN as one would be in a Private Operation.

So to continue with the comparison(s)

The laws of Supply and Demand (after all this is a business just like all others) ... in Austin there is a ton of state licenced EMT-B folks ready to step in and take jobs and (I bet there is not a lot of OT in Austins budget) but in the other potato field just not enough spuds (ie BCAS) with there absolute control with hiring numbers and licencing them. Is it the employees responsibility to requite and retain Staff NOW ?

BUT NOW BEING DICTATED TO WORK OT .... THAT is HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE.

I would love to see that happen with BC ferries union(ok thats my laughter you hear in the background)

I just can't wait till this go through with this threat to take it to Canadian Supreme Court as "essential services is a regulation provincially jurisdiction as is health care) could be with the extreme Liberal view(s) by the Supreme Courts will be handed down ... Mr. Campbell your going to get egg on your face (AGAIN) ... hey hows that DUI charge going ?

BCAS Managers BE WARE, heads will roll with any counter by good Human Rights activist and quite a few sitting in those oak chairs these days .. honestly this threat is a huge gamble.

Now that it has been explained the "right to work" in Texas is a very different scenario than in BC as to be "Dictated to Work" After spending time with some real Texans I bet the story would be different, the guns would be out of the holsters !!!!

So now catch this next stupid action (because BCAS managers they can't find their balls or even do there jobs correctly) and the other informed comments by the others in this link:

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_islan...s/51252477.html

Paramedics threatened with legal action

OTHERS ALSO READ...

Victoria News

Paramedics refuse overtime

Paramedic strike will 'improve service'

CUPE Marches For Paramedics

Lack of paramedics forces ambulance off road

BCAS threatens 230 paramedics with legal action

Hospital Employee Union files legal action

Paramedics still walking the line

Paramedics may wear masks on calls

Paramedics refuse overtime

By Lisa Weighton

About 230 paramedics across the province received letters from B.C. Ambulance late last week, notifying them they were in violation of a Labour Relations Board essential services order.

The letter said individual paramedics could end up in court if they didn't work the same number of shifts they had worked before paramedics went on strike, April 1.

"... It appears from our records that you are not submitting availability and/or not accepting shifts in accordance with your historical patterns," reads an excerpt from the letter.

It goes on to say paramedics who fail to make themselves available for work violate the order the LRB filed with the B.C. Supreme Court on May 15.

The order states paramedics must submit availability and work shifts as they have historically, answer telephone calls from the employer and agree to work shifts as they have in the past.

"We have yet to actually get a definition of what historical availability means," said Dave Deines, with the Ambulance Paramedics of B.C., the union representing paramedics.

Steven Roberts drector of communications for B.C. Ambulance, said it's a general term and "not an exact science." The employer looks at shifts over the last year, or shifts worked the same time last year.

If a paramedic constantly worked five overtime shifts a month before the strike, that individual is expected to keep doing so, according to the ESO.

The letter charts employees' available and worked shifts since January 2007.

"They're not accurate. I can tell you that 10 or 15 people I've talked to, they're actually incorrect," said Deines.

Deines said these employees have payroll sheets showing different information than appeared on their letter .

Full-time paramedics work regular shifts every week. In addition, they submit availability for overtime shifts, something Deines said the ambulance service relies on.

Recently, the employer has had trouble staffing cars when someone calls in sick or can't work a regular shift. Victoria was one ambulance short Friday because of staffing issues, and two ambulances were out of service earlier this month. Roberts said the letters went out to people who had a significant decline in availability since the strike."Those people then put more pressure on people who aren't working. Those are the main people who have been targeted," he said. Roberts said sending letters out this way isn't nice to do, but he won't make any apologies for it."The ambulance service is broken, it is in critical condition and this is nothing more than a scare tactic on the employers part," Deines said. Union lawyers are currently reviewing the issue.

Comments:

To me OT is a choice. I don't work in BC, but if I want to save up for something or need a little extra cash, then I do OT. Now that all my debts are paid off I do less. I work my scheduled shift pattern and my obligation to my employer is complete. If there were to be some type of catastrophe you would have no shortage of Paramedics that would be coming in on their days or and/or staying late on their 12 hours shifts. To force them into OT due to a lack of staffing/planning/hiring strategy and make it seem like the Paramedics are the bad guys for wanting a couple of days off before they burn out or make a serious mistake or error due to fatigue is ludicrous. OT shifts should be the exception and not the rule, to rely on OT staffing to maintain MINIMUM levels on a daily basis is bad business.

To all the people of Greater Victoria, here are a few numbers to ponder...these are UNOFFICIAL shifts that were vacant, and not filled in the past 10 days with BC Ambulance.

Downtown station, 6 shifts

McKenzie/Shelbourne station, 2 shifts

Esquimalt station, 5 shifts

Hillside/Oak Bay station 1 shift

these numbers are very likely low, compared to actual numbers (scarey thought)

Also know this Central Saanich, Sidney, and Sooke....when these shifts go vacant, they are pulling some of YOUR resources into the city to cover for these vacant shifts...How does that make you feel??? Should it be up to ME to work over-time/? Nope...its up to our illustrious leaders to fix this, but they seem to be too busy lately looking for paramedics not wearing proper uniforms, and removing ON STRIKE stickers, and god only knows what else.

visit our website www.saveourparamedics.com or call BC Ambulance and ask for Ms Sue Conroy to voice your concerns. Thanks for reading, and lets hope we get an ambulance to you in timely fashin if and when needed.

So, if there are not enough paramedics, hire some more. Seems pretty simple to me. If the government depends so much on overtime it tells me that the BC Ambulance managers are not doing a good job of managing. If there are no more paramedics to be hired then it tells me there is a paramedic shortage, and that the managers need to make the job more attractive to potential employees. The bottom line is this, it would seem this entire crisis has been created by poor management and maybe some new managers are in order.

How many other working people are forced to work on their days off? How many people are expected to work on their nights, or days off to keep the business running?

The answers is a simple one for BCAS-Hire more staff, and put more ambulances on the roads. The system has been broken for many years. paramedics have been working on their days off for too long in order to staff ambulances to keep the public safe. Paramedics are burning out. Everyone deserves to have days off----including paramedics!!!

If an employee worked some extra shifts before they had a baby, then did none after the baby was born as they were parenting on their days off. This would be in contempt of court? I know that on my days off I parent my 4 year old twins. If BCAS wants me to come in to staff an extra shift that they have not bothered to fill, they can pay my babysitting costs. Please take a few minutes and write your local MLA and tell them to fix the broken ambulance service, and to pay paramedics what they are worth.

This last comment alone a working Mother will fry BCAS managers in the Court!

cheers

The media always tells me that the Canadians are our kinder, gentler, neighbors to the North. They are not supposed to be snarling, rabid, attack dogs who are ready to mis-interpret everything you say. It is clear that this strike is not going well, and is not being handled well by the union. Get mad at your own leadership for sucking... not us gluttonous Americans for pointing it out. Nobody gets their panties in a bunch when the US system gets attacked... because we know it works like shyte.

Oh don't under estimate Peace loving, rights crazy Canukistanians .... Stupidity in Government is not exclusive to the US but when Canadians actually decide to fight it gets real ugly real fast !

cheers

Edited by EMT City Administrator

Oh don't under estimate Peace loving, rights crazy Canukistanians .... Stupidity in Government is not exclusive to the US but when Canadians actually decide to fight it gets real ugly real fast !

cheers

Clearly, I did under estimate to vociferousness of the resident Canadians. I think that more attention should be paid to the union leaders, and the people in charge of running this strike movement. They do not appear to be as organized as they should, and a few of their work actions have been ill-conceived and easily countered by the services and the Government.

Trying to drum up support for extra pay during a world-wide economic crises is not always an easy road to hoe. The CBA at my place of employment just came up for negotiation. Having a near strike averted the last time it came up over insufficient pay increase, we advised the union to not muddy the waters by asking for pay this time, because there is no way that anyone would support us this time. Instead we suggested they go after a bunch of stuff that we were always having to give up because we compromised for pay increases. We are not completely happy with the outcome... but no one lost their jobs, and with a mortgage on the line... it's enough for me right now.

'cosgrojo'

Clearly, I did under estimate to vociferousness of the resident Canadians

It just takes more than one poke to get us rolling ... but then watch out we have good teeth.

I think that more attention should be paid to the union leaders, and the people in charge of running this strike movement. They do not appear to be as organized as they should, and a few of their work actions have been ill-conceived and easily countered by the services and the Government.

Oh I think with TO and CUPE in BC the cards are still not on the table just yet .... more to come is my bet.

Correction the service managers are the Government one in the same ... if they can afford the sponsor the Winter Olympics, they had best get their house in order BEFORE the games begin, in this BC political situation IMHO there could be no better timing to put the thumb screws in place for EMS just to be paid what they are worth and improved treatment, besides as rocshoes has stated the rest of our EMS country is watching.

Trying to drum up support for extra pay during a world-wide economic crises is not always an easy road to hoe.

I get so tired of this quote: world-wide economic crises its an excuse ONLY to control any labour group .... are the big businesses really suffering ... NOT! my bank posted record profits and my RRSPs took a 1/3 drop in value .... just where did all that cash go ?

The CBA at my place of employment just came up for negotiation. Having a near strike averted the last time it came up over insufficient pay increase, we advised the union to not muddy the waters by asking for pay this time, because there is no way that anyone would support us this time. Instead we suggested they go after a bunch of stuff that we were always having to give up because we compromised for pay increases. We are not completely happy with the outcome... but no one lost their jobs, and with a mortgage on the line... it's enough for me right now.

AH intelligent labour negotiations ... so you can see that BCAS and TO managers are screwing up HUGE using threat(s) instead of bargaining in good faith ... for shame . <_<

cheers

The laws of Supply and Demand (after all this is a business just like all others) ... in Austin there is a ton of state licenced EMT-B folks ready to step in and take jobs and (I bet there is not a lot of OT in Austins budget) but in the other potato field just not enough spuds (ie BCAS) with there absolute control with hiring numbers and licencing them.

The situation is actually similar. Austin does not hire EMT-Basics and has not in a very long time. They would not be allowed to do so by the medical director. Consequently, the pool of warm bodies isn't quite as bottomless as one would think. But yes, there is a glut of under-employed paramedics in Texas. Problem is, medics are a low-motivation bunch, for the most part. They want to be a medic, but not bad enough to move across the state to get the job. Consequently, Austin recruits nationwide, and gets a lot of their medics from out of state. They're in the enviable position to be picky about who they hire, so there is no shortage of applicants. But it's not quite as scary as if they were hiring basics.

Clearly, I did under estimate to vociferousness of the resident Canadians. I think that more attention should be paid to the union leaders, and the people in charge of running this strike movement. They do not appear to be as organized as they should, and a few of their work actions have been ill-conceived and easily countered by the services and the Government.

I'll be the first to admit that a number of the tactics attempted have been of little to no use whatsoever. The difficult part here is that an essential service strike is a completely different animal. EMS is the only emergency service in the province that can be forced into the position we're currently in. Police and Fire in BC are covered by provincial legislation that forces both sides to bargain in good faith and ensures indedendent third party arbitration should talks fail. BCAS paramedics don't have any of that. The real trick here is going to be to have the employer drag us into court for a perceived ESO violation which will allow us to begin challenging the ESO's multiple "Charter of Rights and Freedoms" violations. There are a number of cards yet to be played for sure.

Long term the goal is to be included in the same peice of legislation that governs Police and Fire service negotiations. Don't get me wrong EMS should continue to fall within healthcare. Our bargaining practices however would be better off following a line closer to that of Police and Fire in BC. Both the afformentioned groups have been able to bargain fair contracts without affecting the public or even day to day operations in any way shape or form. I think that's something every public sector bargaining unit should strive for.

• 4 weeks later...

My department, Austin EMS, voted for a wage freeze for several reasons. Yes we are a public safety department but we do not have civil service protection. Texas historically is not a pro organized labor state. For us not to vote it down would have been political suicide. Something we as a department can't really afford to do.

We voted for a wage freeze in good faith. I would have loved to get my 2.75% money in my pocket is good money. There was really not a threat of layoffs but the potential of layoffs is always there in an at-will state union or not. The city of Austin had an approxiamtely $30 million gap to eliminate we did what we as a department felt was right. Our money comes out of the general fund just like libraries and parks and water and energy. All those departments had to take their cuts as well.

Yes our call volume has gone up and our paramedics are busier

Yes our costs for service have also gone up. during a recession we raised the rates on our service to the public.

As of last week the city manager was recommending furloughs for non uniformed staff in all departments. While we as employees would have loved our increase, My wife and I are still working and we are still getting paid to work. Plus my overtime is almost non existant. We have multiple float positions to cover vacation and sick call and more often than not floaters are unassigned and putting an extra unit on the street. We are as a department as close to being completely staffed as it has ever been. Oh yeah and we potentially funded more positions by holding off on our raise.

I hope your union gets your situation under control. I hope the outcome is satisfactory to all involved I certainly hope you continue to have no interruptions in service. good luck with all of it I have to go to work.

My department, Austin EMS, voted for a wage freeze for several reasons. Yes we are a public safety department but we do not have civil service protection. Texas historically is not a pro organized labor state. For us not to vote it down would have been political suicide. Something we as a department can't really afford to do.

We voted for a wage freeze in good faith. I would have loved to get my 2.75% money in my pocket is good money. There was really not a threat of layoffs but the potential of layoffs is always there in an at-will state union or not. The city of Austin had an approxiamtely $30 million gap to eliminate we did what we as a department felt was right. Our money comes out of the general fund just like libraries and parks and water and energy. All those departments had to take their cuts as well.

Yes our call volume has gone up and our paramedics are busier

Yes our costs for service have also gone up. during a recession we raised the rates on our service to the public.

As of last week the city manager was recommending furloughs for non uniformed staff in all departments. While we as employees would have loved our increase, My wife and I are still working and we are still getting paid to work. Plus my overtime is almost non existant. We have multiple float positions to cover vacation and sick call and more often than not floaters are unassigned and putting an extra unit on the street. We are as a department as close to being completely staffed as it has ever been. Oh yeah and we potentially funded more positions by holding off on our raise.

I hope your union gets your situation under control. I hope the outcome is satisfactory to all involved I certainly hope you continue to have no interruptions in service. good luck with all of it I have to go to work.

It's always good to have an insiders perspective on why things went the way they did. It sounds like you actually have a number of the things we are fighting for. Adequate staffing being one of the many bones of contention. Just to give everyone a bit of perspective as to the situation here in BC I'll outline the hour count for a typical two week pay period for me.

Time out on calls: 76.34 hours

Time between calls at the station: 88.62 hours

Time on pager between calls: 82.58 (paid 110 hours as some of these hours I was attending calls which I didn't count for these purposes)

There is a total of 336 hours in a two week period. Of those 336 hours 247.56 or 73.7% of them are under the control of my employer (out of the pay period in question).

I'm considered to be "part-time". I don't receive benefits of any kind and I am payed 17% in lieu of holidays and benefits only on the hours that I'm out on calls. If I am injured on the job only the hours I spend on calls will be considered in the renumeration I receive. My rate of pay on a call is $20.57/hour (plus the 17% in lieu of holidays and benefits already mentioned). My rate of pay at the station is $10.80/hour. When I'm on pager I receive $2/hour.

For the pay period in question (during which 7 call hours where paid at stat holiday rates) I grossed $3191.43 and subtracting $1053.50 in deductions cleared $2137.93. To put things in perspective a little bit I'll tell you about what someone with my level of license and experience makes working in private industry. Based on 12 hour days someone like myself will typicaly contract out at a rate of $350($29.17/hour) -400($33.33/hour) a day. If I worked a fairly typical 2 week on 2 week off camp rotation my average income for a 2 week period would come to a gross of $2450 at $350 per day or $2800 at $400 per day. To further put things in perspective in this situation only 25% of my time would be under the control of my employer vs. the 73.7% that is currently under my employer's control.

**All dollar figures are in Canadian Dollars**

Edited by rock_shoes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.