Responding with lights and siren

unique

Alternatively do you know the real world? Yes, these rules are made for those that you can not allow to think on their own. Unfortunately, it's much easier to make rules to cover the lowest common denominator and make everyone conform than to have one set of rules covering those that cannot make good decisions and a separate set of rules for those that can make good decisions.

Good point.

Best is to get everyone to make good decisions.

This reminds me of some of my rides in railroad locomotives for Operation Lifesaver.

We are now getting into the late evening hours.

Ahead we can see the grade crossing signals, bells, lights, gates are operating perfectly as always.

No one is around.

Still, the engineer has me blast the horns as usual, which I know is going into everyone's homes.

Next week, the crossings will be designated Quiet Zones where horn is not required.

Until then, he still blows.

ruffems, can you please redo your post so that I may respond?

This won't copy it.

If you are driving 90, and we do!, and you see another car approaching, you slow - just in case the driver is not expecting you to be nearing that fast.

You drive for conditions, which means (includes) complications of others and road surface, etc.

(On I-70, I had to slow way down for deer. You never know what they will do. I also turned off the lights.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if reposting would do any good nor if it would be any easier for you to cut and paste it, and I'm sure not going to re-type it out.

I guess that we'll just have agree to disagree on several points.

I do know one thing that we are on the same page on one thing, that is to arrive there safely. We just don't agree on the means or the methods.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

deadhorse.jpg

Brilliant reply.

But you're not in the picture.

Wrong end.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Duh!

Just saw a bus stop at a railroad crossing with (o)=(o) , gates and bells.

Unobstructed view down the track a mile in both directions.

Yet, the bus slows, puts on emergency flashers, stops and then proceeds.

A red sports car behind it almost rear-ended the bus and came partially into our lane.

What a waste of fuel, pollution as the bus accelerated, brake wear, engine and drive train wear and tear, passenger discomfort, times how many occurances each day - all for nothing.

Bus was more of a hazard slowly accelerating over that track than just crossing at the speed limit.

Edited by robert gift

Hmmm well since your the AAA driving instructor you know better than I would. Ive only driven a school bus, so I wouldnt know. In some states its law so bitch to your congressman not the bus driver. The think about 60 or so kids being killed in the one instance that procedures arnt followed. But again what would any of us know... because we arnt allowed to blow red lights and drive like total jack asses like your company apparently allows.

Hmmm well since your the AAA driving instructor you know better than I would. Ive only driven a school bus, so I wouldnt know. In some states its law so bitch to your congressman not the bus driver. The think about 60 or so kids being killed in the one instance that procedures arnt followed. But again what would any of us know... because we arnt allowed to blow red lights and drive like total jack asses like your company apparently allows.

The point is that it is needless.

Think how many gallons of fuel is wasted, pollution generated not only by the buses but also the trucks and automobiles behind.

Kind of relates to impeding traffic when needlessly stopping at red signals.

Is it religious ritual, which has absolutely no value?

When bus drivers can see no train for miles, why do all the waste?

Your sixty students won't be injured much by the non existant train.

But maybe slightly bruised when rear-ended by the truck.

I also have a bus license. They should make that crossing [EXEMPT]

Actually, cars behind a school bus at an RRXing do not legally have to stop and wait for it to pass through. Its safer that they do, especially if they cant see around the bus well enough... but they do not have to wait by law.

I dont know about crossings where your at... but where Im from, you cant see miles down a track. The only exempt tracks are inactive ones. I support it 100%.

It shouldnt take that much time to evac a bus, I agree... but if youve been in EMS long enough you should know better that crazy things happen.

We are all dumber for having read this thread.......................................

Actually, cars behind a school bus at an RRXing do not legally have to stop and wait for it to pass through. Its safer that they do, especially if they cant see around the bus well enough... but they do not have to wait by law.

I dont know about crossings where your at... but where Im from, you cant see miles down a track. The only exempt tracks are inactive ones. I support it 100%.

It shouldnt take that much time to evac a bus, I agree... but if youve been in EMS long enough you should know better that crazy things happen.

No complaints about stopping when limited visibility.

Would be horrible to have children harmed because of a grade crossing signal failure - though I have never heard of even one.

Four lanes, two each direction, so vehicles could easily have used lane one to pass the bus, as I did.

Colorado has had two terrible school bus train collisions. Late 40s and early 60s.

How long it takes to get unrehearsed students out?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.