Paramedics refuse OT in BC !

A lot of the special event standbys are being covered by managers so people like the CFL and NHL don't get PO'd. Also our regional director here has tried stunts like diverting a street unit to special event coverage which you don't have any choice in since you are working you're normal paid full time shift.

Courtesy of PNN:

Quebec’s essential services council has issued a warning to medics to refrain from illegal strike action. That is the word from The Montreal Gazette (July 10) which said the advisory was offered after talks between the government and the EMS union broke down. According to the newspaper, the main issue of contention is wages. The Confédération des syndicats nationaux, however, has apparently taken the dictate in stride, announcing in a public statement that its 3,200 ambulance technicians would abide by essential services agreements.

In an ongoing effort to draw attention to their strike action, Toronto medics donned black t-shirts rather than regular uniform gear Friday. Newstalk 1010 CFRB (July 10) said the garb was emblazoned on the back with the words ‘On Strike’ rather than the standard ‘Paramedic.’ The move was accompanied by an approximate 20 minute blockade of Dufferin Street south of Finch.

This "essential service" application is now clearly a means to control wages "ONLY" and by the looks of what else is happening across Canada its spreading faster than Swine Flu.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

• 3 weeks later...
CUPE BC: B.C.'s Ambulance Paramedics in Court Today

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - July 28, 2009) - Ambulance Paramedics of BC - CUPE 873 are expected to be in the Supreme Court today to answer charges that they are in contempt of the essential services order that they continue to work under.

Ambulance Paramedics of BC president John Strohmaier says that the government is trying to deal with the longstanding labour dispute in the courts, instead of at the bargaining table.

"Government inaction has created this situation that puts people's lives at risk," says Strohmaier. "Instead of addressing the problems, they expect the Courts to fix them."

The case is expected to be heard at the Supreme Court of British Columbia today.

The paramedics have been trying to address problems of a deteriorating ambulance service and are asking the government to get back to the bargaining table. They have now been on strike for 119 days. Members of CUPE 873 want the government to negotiate so that improvements can be made to how services are delivered. Chronic understaffing and long response times continue to be the biggest issues paramedics want the government to address.

Paramedics feeling pinched

Pair express frustration over lack of progress in strike talks

KRISTEN THOMPSON/METRO VANCOUVER

B.C. paramedics Nick Smith, left, and Darrel Hunsbedt express their frustration yesterday.

KRISTEN THOMPSON

METRO VANCOUVER

Vancouver paramedic Darrel Hunsbedt was caring for a patient in cardiac arrest on his last night shift when his heart monitor failed for the fifth time in three weeks.

Hunsbedt said the glitch was just one of many he has to deal with on a regular basis.

“It’s very stressful when patients are sick and you don’t (have the resources to care for them),” he said. “A procedure that should take five minutes could take 15 — and that could mean (they die).”

Having to work with the faulty and outdated equipment, as well as too few ambulances and workers, prompted British Columbia’s roughly 3,500 paramedics to go on strike on April 1.

Hunsbedt said the province has shown no interest in bargaining, which compounds the stress he already deals with every day.

“It’s destroying morale,” he said. “We’re at the breaking point (and) the government doesn’t care.”

That low morale has got paramedic Nick Smith thinking about changing careers.

“It’s downright depressing at times,” said Smith, 27. “It’s difficult on my home life because it creates added stress.”

Smith said the long shifts and night work — which alienates paramedics from friends and family — used to be worth it. But he said with the government refusing to bargain, he now feels there’s no future for the profession.

“I see everyone else jumping ship,” Smith said. “And I’m wondering if I’m doing the right thing (by staying).”

Why do I feel sick to my stomach .. so just legislate and run them into the ground, I believe the future of Paramedicine is now at risk, if BC government wins this then the next will be my hometown Alberta ... and everyone believed that being delared "essential" was a GOOD THING ?

I sure hope some old cardiopath fossil in BC supreme court does't develop chest pain .... TODAY!

Edited by tniuqs

Why do I feel sick to my stomach .. so just legislate and run them into the ground, I believe the future of Paramedicine is now at risk, if BC government wins this then the next will be my hometown Alberta ... and everyone believed that being delared "essential" was a GOOD THING ?

I sure hope some old cardiopath fossil in BC supreme court does't develop chest pain .... TODAY!

I think being essential when it mean instant binding arbitration is good. This half assed form, where we get to "strike" but not actually with no onus on the employer to negotiate and ESA that seem to increase each time is not. For example, while TEMS' ESA had them at 75% staffing, prior to the tentative deal the City had approached the Labour Relations Board to ask that it be increased. If almost 100% of us have to be at work while striking, then for f***'s sake, just give us the essential service designation and end the charade.

Oh and get us out of the same union as sanitation, daycare and whatever other catch-all is in the local. One collective agreement does not fit all.

If almost 100% of us have to be at work while striking, then for f***'s sake, just give us the essential service designation and end the charade.

Its looking like the charade STARTS when essential services is proclaimed, and Alberta that has just become law .. so I am watching my Brothers in BC get the shaft.

I think being essential when it mean instant binding arbitration is good

Funny thats NOT how the BC government is addressing the situation, they are NOT bargaining in good faith at ALL.

cheers :>(

Right, but BCAS is not an essential service, they are operating under an Essential Services Agreement, which is not the same thing. For example, in Ontario under the Ambulance Service Collective Bargaining Act, Ambulance service is only deemed essential during a labour action and then the language actually only deems the vehicles and equipment as essential, not the Paramedics specifically. This means that only once the service is in a strike position are a certain percentage of normal staffing considered essential. This is cart before the horse crap.

Were a service to be considered actually essential, then 100% of staffing would have to be maintained, job action would not be allowed, but as soon as negotiations broke down it would go to arbitration. This is what the BC Paramedics are asking for and it is being ignored by the Province because they are under no obligation to do so. There is absolutely no reason why the government would push for EMS to be essential when they can have their cake and eat it too. We can't actually strike but we can't compel the government to arbitrate.

Well it looks like BC Supreme Court has its act together, and Mr Campbell has egg on his and the smell of stale booze on his breath ... AGAIN.

This is great news in my opinion ... thinking of getting a few spare T shirts to wear on MY Holiday to BC ! If rock shoes is listening ... send me a few FED EX would you ... I have paypal.

CUPE BC: Paramedics Win Victory in Court

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - July 29, 2009) - The Supreme Court of BC would not permit the contempt charges the government attempted to bring against the Ambulance Paramedics of BC yesterday due to short notice, requiring the application to follow the rules of the Court. The judge also would not grant the employer's application for alternative relief during the Celebration of Lights events, ruling that the type of relief the employer sought was under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Labour Relations Board.

Ambulance Paramedics of BC president John Strohmaier says he is pleased with the decision.

"We consider this a victory," says Strohmaier. "The Courts would not indulge the government's attempt to solve longstanding degeneration of ambulance services by taking paramedics to court. That's no way to fix the broken system. The government needs to address chronic understaffing of ambulance paramedics that is affecting services for every community in B.C."

Following the judge's ruling, CUPE 873 once again communicated to its members about the seriousness of the essential services order. Strohmaier notes that the union communicates with members on a regular basis about the importance of following the essential services order and upholding the law.

CUPE BC president Barry O'Neill is critical of the government for taking ambulance paramedics before the Court.

"It seems the government is willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on court costs, which at the end of the day won't improve ambulance service for British Columbians in any way," says O'Neill. "We'll do what it takes to restore B.C.'s ambulance service to the award-winning service it once was. Our neighbours and communities are relying on us to do that."

The paramedics have been trying to address problems of a deteriorating ambulance service and are asking the government to get back to the bargaining table. They have now been on strike for 120 days. Members of CUPE 873 want the government to negotiate so that improvements can be made to how services are delivered. Chronic understaffing and long response times continue to be the biggest issues paramedics want the government to address.

Right, but BCAS is not an essential service, they are operating under an Essential Services Agreement...

Actually we are working under an Essential Service Order. It’s a small change in words but a huge change in ramifications. We didn't "agree" to anything. We have been ordered to meet the provisions set out by the BC Labour Relations Board as outlined by the ESO. Every time we try to do anything that so much as inconveniences the employer they run to the LRB and have whatever the sticking point is declared "essential". "Special Operations" (meaning special event coverage for which BCAS is paid handsomely) have just been declared "essential". If members who have worked "special operations" in the past refuse to come in on their scheduled days off they can actually be charged with contempt of court.

I know you're a great supporter docharris but it's really important for everyone to let this sink in. BC paramedics can be criminally charged for taking our scheduled days off! I'm not talking about everyone pulling together in the event of a disaster. I'm talking about forced overtime just to keep the service running.

As for amending how we bargain the goal is to be included in what is currently known as the “Police and Fire services collective bargaining act”. Thus far, as can be seen by their superior wage and benefit packages, this act has ensured consecutive fair contracts for BC’s other emergency services. It includes provisions guaranteeing an independent third party arbitrator should talks between the two parties fail.

Well it looks like BC Supreme Court has its act together, and Mr Campbell has egg on his and the smell of stale booze on his breath ... AGAIN.

This is great news in my opinion ... thinking of getting a few spare T shirts to wear on MY Holiday to BC ! If rock shoes is listening ... send me a few FED EX would you ... I have paypal.

First I need to secure some extra for myself. I work way too much to get by on one t-shirt ;) . I'll order a couple extra and send them too you as soon as I figure out how I'm going to get some more.

I've got a week off in August so let me know when you're coming through. Either way I'm sure I can spring for a beer when you blow through Merritt.

• 2 months later...
Oct 01, 2009 15:39 ET

CUPE BC President Slams Ambulance Boss

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - Oct. 1, 2009) - CUPE BC president Barry O'Neill has slammed the head of the BC Ambulance Service for "fear mongering".

O'Neill's comments came during negotiations between striking Ambulance Paramedics of BC (CUPE 873), and the provincial government. The government delivered a "settlement offer" Monday, which CUPE 873 president John Strohmaier told his members he would present to them for a vote. He has called the offer "repugnant" and said the executive and bargaining committee will not be recommending acceptance.

Ambulance Service CEO Lee Doney broke a mutually-agreed on media blackout Tuesday claiming concerns over patient care and service levels based on his interpretation of a confidential bargaining memo from John Strohmaier to 873 members detailing the plans to consult the membership.

O'Neill said that, "If the CEO of the Ambulance Service wants to back out of a media blackout, that's fine, but that he feels qualified to interpret what our members are thinking as the result of a confidential memo to union members from their president is completely over the top."

O'Neill, who is involved in the talks, added that the provincial government and its representatives should spend less time fear mongering in the media and more time working to resolve this dispute.

"What we are doing is taking time to talk to our constituents for their input - maybe the government should consider doing the same," said O'Neill.

The two sides have been meeting since September 22nd with mediator Mark Atkinson in attendance. "We had hoped to make some real progress," said Strohmaier, "but the government doesn't appear to be taking these talks seriously." Ambulance Paramedics have continued to provide services under Essential Services orders since the strike began on April 1.

Ah taking to the streets !

Sorry couldn't find the other thread ....

Ah taking to the streets !

Sorry couldn't find the other thread ....

I have mixed feelings with regards to bringing the employers last offer to a vote. Part of me thinks a resounding no vote from the membership will be a usefull show of solidarity. Part of me thinks it's a waist of valuable time. A no vote is a no brainer for us. Voting to accept this offer would see contract clauses preventing the destruction of the service removed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.