Started Clinical Rotations

The first time I took ACLS in the military, they gave me the book- I read the whole thing- then

totally bombed during the practical. I did not know when they said study, they ment the

strips/drugs/algorhytms. I took it pretty hard. So ease up on yourself. Also when I was a anesthesia tech I was supposed to start 16 G angicaths on every one in pre-op, I kinda hid for

about two weeks because back then I knew just enought to be dangerous. Until one of the

doctors grabbed me , pulled me over to pre-op and pointed at 3 patents-and said I want 16 g at least in every one of these pts. Ahh remembering good times.? Good luck Cheers.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell Vent, no need to apologize.

Usually I feel like an ignorant child when I read your posts, so seeing you post something that I might have written just didn't have a place in my head.

I hope you're getting some well deserved rest.

Dwayne

Edited for spelling only. (Why does it seem 'apology/ize' should have two Ps?)

Edited by DwayneEMTP

Well I'd like to start off by telling everyone how very much I appreciate all the input. I'll try to skim over some of the replies.

As far as the time is concerned, I only worry about it with the mannequin due to Natl Reg time constraints. For an actual patient, I use the technique this

absolutely wonderful preceptor I now have taught me. Hold my breath until I get the tube. She said "If the pt isn't breathing, neither are you."

I got three intubations day before yesterday. :)

My IV skills have DRASTICALLY improved. The ER I'm doing rotations in kept pushing me to use 20's and 22's. I started pushing 16's and 18's and have nailed every single one, so I'm quite happy about that.

I lucked up in the past week or so since I first posted and got 2 awesome preceptors. They have a "no pressure" attitude, and combined with not having ParaGod syndrome, I learn a lot more. Both tell me that I'm the medic, they're just an EMT. They kinda force me to "teach" them, which vastly improved my performance. Sounds odd, but it's worked quite well. My confidence is up, and I'm starting to get into the "Paramedic mindset" as they like to call it. My ridetime preceptor told me that if I think and act like I'm a medic, I'll start to feel and perform like one.

He was right.

It surprised me how much I've improved in only two weeks, but I feel I need to thank all that threw out extra ideas. It helped more than you could imagine.

Now......anyone wanna hold me hand and walk me through 12 lead?? :lol:

We started cardiology this week, and while it does seem a bit daunting, I know I'll get it. Again, thank all of you so much for the advice. If all goes well, I'll be posting the "I PASSED!!" thread around the middle of December.